FORUMS

Themes for SM-N910U Exynos Note 4

Samsung has too many phone variants for their flagships, which leaves out users incapable of getting … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 26 – May 2)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Great Camera Hardware, or Software?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on phone cameras. Come with your opinions and feel … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 25 – May 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Need some help from the Recovery Gods

15th June 2014, 07:11 PM |#1  
Droidmissionary's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Tulsa, Ok
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
I have a pre_MF3 phone but my gf has this device with NC1 Bl, I was able to use geohot's root method to acquire root access. I have supersu installed but can't update binaries. I tried using goo.im to install a recovery but that seems to have failed (it says it installed successful). Each to I try to reboot recovery it boots into DL mode and will continue doing that until I pull battery and force a it into the "booting a custom software" screen to which then I can push vol down and restart it normal but cannot in anyway get it into recovery mode. I'm assuming this may have to deal with it being a "loki'd" recovery? Does this seem like a plausible issue? If it is what's the chances of say, since we can install I9505 roms that we could install the un- "loki'd" I9505 custom recoveries? Also, this isn't packaged with a recovery so, I'm assuming the best method of installing a recovery may be odin? Any feedback would be nice, Thanks in advance
 
 
15th June 2014, 07:26 PM |#2  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 674
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidmissionary

I have a pre_MF3 phone but my gf has this device with NC1 Bl, I was able to use geohot's root method to acquire root access. I have supersu installed but can't update binaries. I tried using goo.im to install a recovery but that seems to have failed (it says it installed successful). Each to I try to reboot recovery it boots into DL mode and will continue doing that until I pull battery and force a it into the "booting a custom software" screen to which then I can push vol down and restart it normal but cannot in anyway get it into recovery mode. I'm assuming this may have to deal with it being a "loki'd" recovery? Does this seem like a plausible issue? If it is what's the chances of say, since we can install I9505 roms that we could install the un- "loki'd" I9505 custom recoveries? Also, this isn't packaged with a recovery so, I'm assuming the best method of installing a recovery may be odin? Any feedback would be nice, Thanks in advance

Bootloader is locked. You can't have recovery besides Safestrap on any version past MDL 4.2.2. You'll have to reflash it with ODIN to fix the recovery issue and use Safestrap to flash ROMs.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 07:29 PM |#3  
Droidmissionary's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Tulsa, Ok
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9

Bootloader is locked. You can't have recovery besides Safestrap on any version past MDL 4.2.2. You'll have to reflash it with ODIN to fix the recovery issue and use Safestrap to flash ROMs.

Sent from my SGH-I337 running GPE

Do you understand what I'm talking about ? Geohots newest root method that works on the s5 and everything? If so I guess what you're telling me is this isn't a true root method but merely a way to get a ss installed?

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th June 2014, 07:50 PM |#4  
Droidmissionary's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Tulsa, Ok
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
I guess I was thinking this was a true root method. It does make sense that I'll need SS seeing as how the other recovery isn't working. I'll go try installing SS

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Last edited by Droidmissionary; 15th June 2014 at 08:07 PM.
15th June 2014, 08:10 PM |#5  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,589
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidmissionary

I guess I was thinking this was a true root method. It does make sense that I'll need SS seeing as how the other recovery isn't working. I'll go try installing SS

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yep,geohots is only root, still no recovery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 08:39 PM |#6  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 674
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidmissionary

I guess I was thinking this was a true root method. It does make sense that I'll need SS seeing as how the other recovery isn't working. I'll go try installing SS

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Root is not the same as a bootloader unlock. Older phones only needed root, now that we have complicated locked bootloaders with checks we need more than just root to install a custom recovery and ROMs.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadlySin9 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 09:21 PM |#7  
Droidmissionary's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Tulsa, Ok
Thanks Meter: 586
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlySin9

Root is not the same as a bootloader unlock. Older phones only needed root, now that we have complicated locked bootloaders with checks we need more than just root to install a custom recovery and ROMs.

No I understand and that is all my fault. I guess all this hype made me think it was a true unlock. Not just root. Im sure the hype was mostly over s5

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th June 2014, 09:24 PM |#8  
jd1639's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,589
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidmissionary

No I understand and that is all my fault. I guess all this hype made me think it was a true unlock. Not just root. Im sure the hype was mostly over s5

Sent from my Samsung-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

it's still only root, good progress note not the whole enchilada

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes