Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 38,064 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Quick question:

Tip us?
 
ronnieshane1
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default [Q] Quick question:

I found a link to install TWRP recovery onto my phone but first I have to unlock my bootloader. I bricked 2 identical phones in the past using EZ Unlock to unlock the bootloader. Both times as soon as I rebooted my phone...they never worked again. My question is how do I safely unlock my bootloader without this happening again? I also want to know once my bootloader is unlocked, and TWRP recovery is safely on my phone, will I then be able to freely install custom roms? Or will I still need to install safestrap and safestrap compatible roms or touchwiz roms only?
 
landshark68
Old
#2  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 504
Posts: 949
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieshane1 View Post
I found a link to install TWRP recovery onto my phone but first I have to unlock my bootloader. I bricked 2 identical phones in the past using EZ Unlock to unlock the bootloader. Both times as soon as I rebooted my phone...they never worked again. My question is how do I safely unlock my bootloader without this happening again? I also want to know once my bootloader is unlocked, and TWRP recovery is safely on my phone, will I then be able to freely install custom roms? Or will I still need to install safestrap and safestrap compatible roms or touchwiz roms only?
If you are on 4.3 you cannot flash TWRP or unlock your bootloader. It is saferoot, safestrap, and safestrap compatible 4.3 TW ROMs only for you.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ronnieshane1
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
If you are on 4.3 you cannot flash TWRP or unlock your bootloader. It is saferoot, safestrap, and safestrap compatible 4.3 TW ROMs only for you.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Is there any custom recoveries I can use? How about online nandroid?
 
SlimSnoopOS
Old
#4  
SlimSnoopOS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1913
Posts: 5,411
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieshane1 View Post
Is there any custom recoveries I can use? How about online nandroid?
There is no custom recovery that us compatible with either the VRUCML1 or VRUCNC1 TouchWiz OTAs. Safestrap is the closest you will get to a "custom recovery" from TW 4.3+.

More info below. It states everything that Landshark has already posted btw:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jcbjoe
Old
(Last edited by jcbjoe; 24th June 2014 at 09:50 PM.)
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default Custom Roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
If you are on 4.3 you cannot flash TWRP or unlock your bootloader. It is saferoot, safestrap, and safestrap compatible 4.3 TW ROMs only for you.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
What are some custom 4.3 touchwiz roms for NC1?


[GUIDE][ML1/NC1] TW 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thread (5-24-14) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

Here is a lit of rome or 4.3 touchwiz roms

Custom Roms
AllianceRom
Wicked Sensations Rom
MOAR
CleanROM 8.2 Core Edition
Samstock
Slapnuts
I535 Mostly Stock
Stock Rooted ML1 Rom

Yet when you go into the rom it self they all are on the old ML1 rom none say anything about NC1

Question is .. if i use safestrap on my locked boot loader with NC1 since i will be creating a new rom slot will i be able to flash the ML1 roms via safestrap or am i totally hosed or are there roms out there for 4.3 touchwiz for NC1 ?

Thanks
 
landshark68
Old
#6  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 504
Posts: 949
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbjoe View Post
What are some custom 4.3 touchwiz roms for NC1 ?


[GUIDE][ML1/NC1] TW 4.3 Sticky Roll-Up Thread (5-24-14) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2639337

Here is a lit of rome or 4.3 touchwiz roms

Custom Roms
AllianceRom
Wicked Sensations Rom
MOAR
CleanROM 8.2 Core Edition
Samstock
Slapnuts
I535 Mostly Stock
Stock Rooted ML1 Rom

Yet when you go into the rom it self they all are on the old ML1 rom none say anything about NC1

Question is .. if i use safestrap on my locked boot loader with NC1 since i will be creating a new rom slot will i be able to flash the ML1 roms via safestrap or am i totally hosed or are there roms out there for 4.3 touchwiz for NC1 ?

Thanks
There are no 4.3 Touchwiz ROMs for NC1. If you want to have fully functioning ROMs (meaning have working WiFi) through safestrap you have to ODIN flash back to ML1, then root, load safestrap, and flash an ML1 based 4.3 TW ROM, then the kernel module from the safestrap thread. Another user in these forums was talking about posting an NC1 kernel module, but I haven't seen any results on that. If you take the OTA upgrade or ODIN flash up to NE1 4.4.2, safestrap is not yet available for that.
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jcbjoe
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default Another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
If you are on 4.3 you cannot flash TWRP or unlock your bootloader. It is saferoot, safestrap, and safestrap compatible 4.3 TW ROMs only for you.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
There are no 4.3 Touchwiz ROMs for NC1. If you want to have fully functioning ROMs (meaning have working WiFi) through safestrap you have to ODIN flash back to ML1, then root, load safestrap, and flash an ML1 based 4.3 TW ROM, then the kernel module from the safestrap thread. Another user in these forums was talking about posting an NC1 kernel module, but I haven't seen any results on that. If you take the OTA upgrade or ODIN flash up to NE1 4.4.2, safestrap is not yet available for that.
Thanks for the reply

So if I'm on NC1 i have to go back to ML1 .. will i be able to if my boot loader is locked and looks like this

ODIN MODE:
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICAL
SYSTEM STATUS OFFICAL
QUALCOM SECREBOOT ENABLE
WARRANTY BIT: 0
BOOTLOADERAP SWREV: 1

Thanks
 
Sandman-007
Old
#8  
Sandman-007's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 616
Posts: 1,493
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbjoe View Post
Thanks for the reply

So if I'm on NC1 i have to go back to ML1 .. will i be able to if my boot loader is locked and looks like this

ODIN MODE:
PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICAL
SYSTEM STATUS OFFICAL
QUALCOM SECREBOOT ENABLE
WARRANTY BIT: 0
BOOTLOADERAP SWREV: 1

Thanks
Yes. ML1 and NC1 are both 4.3 so you can go to ML1 No problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy S3, SOKP
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman-007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
jcbjoe
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default 697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman-007 View Post
Yes. ML1 and NC1 are both 4.3 so you can go to ML1 No problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
 
jcbjoe
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 138
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman-007 View Post
Yes. ML1 and NC1 are both 4.3 so you can go to ML1 No problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Wow you guys are awesome .. i odined back to ML1 rooted then safestraped and now I'm on a custom 4.3 touchwiz Rom

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes