Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,947 Members 40,897 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] how to turn off camera focus sound

Tip us?

SeiGetsu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] how to turn off camera focus sound

I tried renaming following sound files from /system/media/audio/ui
camera_click.ogg
camera_focus.ogg
VideoRecord.ogg

I could disable shutter/video-record sound.
But focus sound just before the shutter is not disabled.

If you can could you tell me how to disable it?

Regards,

degraaff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeiGetsu View Post
I tried renaming following sound files from /system/media/audio/ui
camera_click.ogg
camera_focus.ogg
VideoRecord.ogg

I could disable shutter/video-record sound.
But focus sound just before the shutter is not disabled.

If you can could you tell me how to disable it?

Regards,
For me the shutter sound toggle doubles as a focus sound toggle so when I disable shutter sound, the focus is also silenced. But in some countries mobile devices are not allowed to take pictures in complete silence because of privacy regulations, so the shutter sound at least remains. Does it still make the shutter sound if you put the tablet in silent mode?

SeiGetsu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by degraaff View Post
For me the shutter sound toggle doubles as a focus sound toggle so when I disable shutter sound, the focus is also silenced. But in some countries mobile devices are not allowed to take pictures in complete silence because of privacy regulations, so the shutter sound at least remains. Does it still make the shutter sound if you put the tablet in silent mode?
Thank you for your reply.
Even if the silent mode, focus sound sounds.

I consider that the sound files is embedded in the camera apk like following device.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2486948

But this thread is for Samsung Galaxy Note 3,
I don't understand how to tweak for this tablet.

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
If the renaming method is not possible, you can use a workaround via the app "Tasker" (an invaluable tool anyway).

In Tasker you can make a profile that says "If the camera app is open, set device audio to 'Silent' (or 'Vibrate only')".

degraaff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966 View Post
If the renaming method is not possible, you can use a workaround via the app "Tasker" (an invaluable tool anyway).

In Tasker you can make a profile that says "If the camera app is open, set device audio to 'Silent' (or 'Vibrate only')".
But he said that silent mode doesn't affect the fucos sound.

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Can't be. When I put my tablet into silent mode via volume rocker (in the status bar the "vibration only" symbol appears), the camera remains absolutely silent.

degraaff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Can't be. When I put my tablet into silent mode via volume rocker (in the status bar the "vibration only" symbol appears), the camera remains absolutely silent.
Is your stock camera app also completely silent (no focus beep either) when the tablet volume is on, but shutter sound turned off in camera settings?

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Yes, when I set shutter sound to "off" (seems to reset automatically to "on" when leaving camera app...) the camera is absolutely silent.

degraaff
Old
(Last edited by degraaff; 16th June 2014 at 07:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Yes, when I set shutter sound to "off" (seems to reset automatically to "on" when leaving camera app...) the camera is absolutely silent.
Well that option doesn't mute the focus sound for the OP, so that means he lives in one of those countries where mobile devices not allowed to photos silently (or he doesn't live in one of those countries but his tablet was made for use in them), so then indeed, putting the device in silent mode does not mute the camera.