Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,606 Members 48,725 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dual-booting Dell Venue 8 Pro with Android

Tip us?

elixir_pr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Dual-booting Dell Venue 8 Pro with Android

Hi,
Is there any chance of dualbooting Dell Venue 8 Pro with Windows 8 and Android? I like Windows 8 but would also like to be able to use Android on this awesome tablet.
If not dual boot, is there any other way of using Android as virtual machine or something that provides full touch and other sensor's support?
Thanks.

Anonymously_Unknown
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Don't "think" Android. Think Linux instead. It theoretically can be done, but the fact that the UEFI is 32bit while Linux uses 64bit.
You would disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. The other issue is a lack of drivers for the touchscreen during installation.
The stress isn't worth it in my opinion. Leave the device stock as is.

A_Str8
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I'm waiting for my Venue to arrive. I plan to try running Android on it with Genymotion
http://www.genymotion.com/

Anonymously_Unknown
Old
(Last edited by Anonymously_Unknown; 9th January 2014 at 03:23 AM.) Reason: Posted conclusion of application
Thanks Meter 51
Default Not worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Str8 View Post
I'm waiting for my Venue to arrive. I plan to try running Android on it with Genymotion
http://www.genymotion.com/
I'm downloading it now since it is just an emulator running inside VirtualBox.
There are many Android games, that I've already boght and would want to be able to play on the Venue8 Pro. I'll let you know how it works out in a few hours.

EDIT: I've installed and ran the application. As it stated, it is really just an emulator VirtualBox running a stripped down Android image.
Enabling my real cam with the emulator gave me my first BSOD. Installed a few premium games that I had purchased on my real device. The frame rate in the virtual environment wasn't smooth. It was obvious that you were using an emulator. Genymotion is a very good attempt at emulating Andriod on a running PC, however this solution is not for me. It isn't a replacement for a dual-boot scenario with the native OS.

elixir_pr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So what would you guys recommend? I have tried both BlueStacks player and an Android virual machine on my Venue 8 Pro. I really want to be running Android smoothly.

Anonymously_Unknown
Old
Thanks Meter 51
To be honest, Genymotion, is smoother than Bluestacks, since it has the Vanilla Android interface (without Samsung's Touchwiz or HTC's Sense). The problem is with trying to use the tablet's hardware such as the camera or gyroscope. The process is then not smooth and gameplay (for serious graphic intensive android games) are choppy or lagging at best. You get the feeling that it is all being emulated and not virtualized in the true sense.

I'm convinced you would have better success running Linux natively then finding a method of running Android apps as opposed to running Android on the device.

Android requires an ARM SoC processor. The Venue 8 Pro uses a full X86/64-bit processor. Therefore Android would need to be re-compiled. This isn't worth the effort in my opinion.

A_Str8
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I'm wondering if these instructions will work for the Venue. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2321292

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Anonymously_Unknown
Old
Thanks Meter 51
It looks plausible. I'd create a system image of my entire system partiotion before even attempting this.

elixir_pr
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymously_Unknown View Post
To be honest, Genymotion, is smoother than Bluestacks, since it has the Vanilla Android interface (without Samsung's Touchwiz or HTC's Sense). The problem is with trying to use the tablet's hardware such as the camera or gyroscope. The process is then not smooth and gameplay (for serious graphic intensive android games) are choppy or lagging at best. You get the feeling that it is all being emulated and not virtualized in the true sense.

I'm convinced you would have better success running Linux natively then finding a method of running Android apps as opposed to running Android on the device.

Android requires an ARM SoC processor. The Venue 8 Pro uses a full X86/64-bit processor. Therefore Android would need to be re-compiled. This isn't worth the effort in my opinion.
But isn't install Linux also difficult (given the UEFI problems)? And will I be able to run Android apps smoothly on Linux somehow?

Anonymously_Unknown
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Linux to me would be easier since it already "exists" for PC. You should be able to install it in theory with a USB mouse and keyboard attached to a USB hub. Android on the other hand would simply not work "natively" with your Dell Venue 8 since it would have to be re-compiled for this purpose. I can't imagine why the source code for an Android app can't be re-compiled for Linux despite the differences in processor type.

My only desire for Android on my Tablet is to be able to play all those games that I've bought for my Samsung Galaxy Note2,
If I knew how to compile Android from source code and simply slipstream the touchscreen drivers that would be great. Let's agree to propose this to the developers in the phone section of this forum such as Cyanogem Mod so that something can be custom built for our devices.

Tags
dell venue 8 pro, dual boot