OP LordManhattan

15th June 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #1  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,663

15,002 posts
More
Oy!

So, Geohot released a one-click root tool for the Galaxy S5 earlier today, and it should - according to him, work on any device running firmwares 4.4.2 or earlier. I'm already rooted, but I installed it on my Ultra running stock 4.4.2, and it installed fine, and I guess it ran and finished, because it did what it said it would do (root and reboot within 15 seconds), and I didn't get any errors, BUT a person here with a non-rooted 4.4.2 device has to try it out before we can conclude that this does indeed work on the Ultra.

Confirmed working on the Xperia Z, Xperia T, Xperia E1, Xperia SP and possibly Z1 Compact (not confirmed)

How does it work?

NOTE: Towelroot does not actually install SuperSU, so install SuperSU from the Play Store after you've ran Towelroot and it has rebooted. If you can't update binaries in SuperSU, it's a bug.

UPDATE: USE THIS TOOL INSTEAD http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2784900

- Go to http://towelroot.com/
- Install APK
- Run APK
- Done

Original thread: here
Last edited by LordManhattan; 19th June 2014 at 02:52 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th June 2014, 11:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 642

1,776 posts
Where is @polargirl when you need her ?
15th June 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,663

15,002 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfurgerson

Where is @polargirl when you need her ?

LOL, I had the same thought. @polargirl, where are you?
16th June 2014, 03:53 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
More
I'll try this later when i get home.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to diezuhl For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 04:09 AM   |  #5  
Flag Davenport, Florida, United States
Thanks Meter: 20

112 posts
More
confirmed to work on gpe models as well running 4.4.3 kernel 3.4.0-perf-g5b037df

rooted and busybox install

SuperSU binaries dont update, but when root is needed it does pop the grant box and allow su
Last edited by b22ri22an; 16th June 2014 at 04:20 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b22ri22an For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #6  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 1,890

2,571 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Oy!

So, Geohot released a one-click root tool for the Galaxy S5 earlier today, and it should - according to him, work on any device running firmwares 4.4.2 or earlier. I'm already rooted, but I installed it on my Ultra running stock 4.4.2, and it installed fine, and I guess it ran and finished, because it did what it said it would do (root and reboot within 15 seconds), and I didn't get any errors, BUT a person here with a non-rooted 4.4.2 device has to try it out before we can conclude that this does indeed work on the Ultra.

Confirmed working on the Xperia Z, Xperia T, Xperia E1, Xperia SP and possibly Z1 Compact (not confirmed)

How does it work?

NOTE: Towelroot does not actually install SuperSU, so install SuperSU from the Play Store after you've ran Towelroot and it has rebooted. If you can't update binaries in SuperSU, it's a bug.

- Go to http://towelroot.com/
- Install APK
- Run APK
- Done

Original thread: here

Unfortunately not working with stock sony Kitkat (757). It just stuck there after the button got clicked, and sending ANR after a while. when Ok'd, the phone restarts.. And.......... Nothing happened.. Oh well..

16th June 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
More
Tried it. Doesn't work on stock 757. It restarts my phone after some time with in-between not responding messages.

16th June 2014, 07:41 AM   |  #8  
Flag Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 1,373

2,993 posts
Donate to Me
More
If this doesn't work then there are the two exploits that were released over the weekend for the z2 and z1s. I wonder if they will work on 4.4.2 on a locked BL?
16th June 2014, 10:50 AM   |  #9  
Flag Stein's Gate
Thanks Meter: 18

79 posts
More
Great news! This is bringing a much welcome change.

Totally OT: Hacking pays! Geohot made around $18.000 for the towelroot, and I believe it was just back in March he found some exploits for ChromeOS and made $150.000 off of that. I'm extremely jelly. Time to learn how to read code >_<
16th June 2014, 12:00 PM   |  #10  
Flag Lambersart
Thanks Meter: 4

62 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diezuhl

Tried it. Doesn't work on stock 757. It restarts my phone after some time with in-between not responding messages.

Same here.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread