Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 50,959 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Towelroot: One-click root

Tip us?

LordManhattan
Old
(Last edited by LordManhattan; 19th June 2014 at 01:52 PM.)
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 5648
Default Towelroot: One-click root

Oy!

So, Geohot released a one-click root tool for the Galaxy S5 earlier today, and it should - according to him, work on any device running firmwares 4.4.2 or earlier. I'm already rooted, but I installed it on my Ultra running stock 4.4.2, and it installed fine, and I guess it ran and finished, because it did what it said it would do (root and reboot within 15 seconds), and I didn't get any errors, BUT a person here with a non-rooted 4.4.2 device has to try it out before we can conclude that this does indeed work on the Ultra.

Confirmed working on the Xperia Z, Xperia T, Xperia E1, Xperia SP and possibly Z1 Compact (not confirmed)

How does it work?

NOTE: Towelroot does not actually install SuperSU, so install SuperSU from the Play Store after you've ran Towelroot and it has rebooted. If you can't update binaries in SuperSU, it's a bug.

UPDATE: USE THIS TOOL INSTEAD http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2784900

- Go to http://towelroot.com/
- Install APK
- Run APK
- Done

Original thread: here
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

adfurgerson
Old
Thanks Meter 577
Where is @polargirl when you need her ?

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 5648
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfurgerson View Post
Where is @polargirl when you need her ?
LOL, I had the same thought. @polargirl, where are you?

diezuhl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'll try this later when i get home.

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to diezuhl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

b22ri22an
Old
(Last edited by b22ri22an; 16th June 2014 at 03:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
confirmed to work on gpe models as well running 4.4.3 kernel 3.4.0-perf-g5b037df

rooted and busybox install

SuperSU binaries dont update, but when root is needed it does pop the grant box and allow su
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b22ri22an For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hansip87
Old
Thanks Meter 1735

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan View Post
Oy!

So, Geohot released a one-click root tool for the Galaxy S5 earlier today, and it should - according to him, work on any device running firmwares 4.4.2 or earlier. I'm already rooted, but I installed it on my Ultra running stock 4.4.2, and it installed fine, and I guess it ran and finished, because it did what it said it would do (root and reboot within 15 seconds), and I didn't get any errors, BUT a person here with a non-rooted 4.4.2 device has to try it out before we can conclude that this does indeed work on the Ultra.

Confirmed working on the Xperia Z, Xperia T, Xperia E1, Xperia SP and possibly Z1 Compact (not confirmed)

How does it work?

NOTE: Towelroot does not actually install SuperSU, so install SuperSU from the Play Store after you've ran Towelroot and it has rebooted. If you can't update binaries in SuperSU, it's a bug.

- Go to http://towelroot.com/
- Install APK
- Run APK
- Done

Original thread: here
Unfortunately not working with stock sony Kitkat (757). It just stuck there after the button got clicked, and sending ANR after a while. when Ok'd, the phone restarts.. And.......... Nothing happened.. Oh well..

Love to Mod, Love to Experiment,
Sony Fanatic

My App Project:
Fast App Switcher Small App
System Monitor Small App

Phone History:
Nokia 6233 - Sony Ericsson K700i - SE Xperia X10 Mini Pro - SE Xperia Ray - Motorola RAZR Maxx - Xperia Z Ultra

diezuhl
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Tried it. Doesn't work on stock 757. It restarts my phone after some time with in-between not responding messages.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 967

DONATE TO ME
If this doesn't work then there are the two exploits that were released over the weekend for the z2 and z1s. I wonder if they will work on 4.4.2 on a locked BL?
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.

Chima2
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Great news! This is bringing a much welcome change.

Totally OT: Hacking pays! Geohot made around $18.000 for the towelroot, and I believe it was just back in March he found some exploits for ChromeOS and made $150.000 off of that. I'm extremely jelly. Time to learn how to read code >_<
Anxious/proud new owner of a Xperia Z Ultra!
Previous phones: iPhone 3, HTC Touch Pro 2, Nokia e72, Galaxy Note I & II, Galaxy sII,
Headsets: Shure SRH-840, Marshall Major, Harman Kardon SoHo,

Keoregh
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by diezuhl View Post
Tried it. Doesn't work on stock 757. It restarts my phone after some time with in-between not responding messages.

Same here.