Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,526 Members 49,671 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moving from TF700 to TF701

Tip us?

jhermit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Moving from TF700 to TF701

I have had a TF700 for exactly 1 year and 2 months, but two weeks ago the motherboard got fried due to my stupidity and I decided I needed a new tablet. The 700 CROMIX served me well and it had done everything I wanted it to with a few frustration.

I looked at the Samsungs, Kindles, Google Nexus 10, and the TF701. After a week of looking at all these I decided that
- Samsung was too expensive. Nice machines, but I was just not willing to pay the difference
- Kindles are also nice but a little small for me and I felt like I would always be fighting the Amazon controls they put on the device. HW wise it was the lightest machine with the best screen.
- Google Nexus 10 seemed a little too similar to the 701 and it had a little lesser specs (CPU and no MicroSD). Maybe I would wait for the NEW version, but it did not look like it is coming anytime soon (hopefully summer) and my guess is that it will be in the $500+ range
- So since the 701 has a better screen, better CPU, and very attractive price ($359 at amazon), I decided to go with it

Got the tablet and really did not wait: Upgraded to 4.3, Unlocked the bootloader, and installed CROMiX 6.0.1a on it. 20 minutes and I was good to go. I was really surprised how much faster than my 700 it is. I knew that the 1.9MHZ is better than the 700's 1.6 but I had the 700 overclocked and with the increased resolution, I expected they would be close. But the performance difference is really noticeable. I cannot comment on CROMiX vs the Stock in terms of how much the performance improvement is the optimized ROM because I did not really run the stock long enough. But this thing just flies. Boat browser with flash works great. My 16GB MicroSD worked great, the restore from Titanium worked great. My Nova settings were there and worked without trouble. Netflix does not stutter at all or Google movies or Mx Player. The battery was horrible after my first charge (lasted less than 8 hours) but also I was messing with it the whole time. After that, it looks like it goes about 2.5-3 hours per 1% in sleep and I would say it is a bit better than my 700 while on. The ROM has a "reading mode" that seems to slow down battery consumption while reading my Kindle app, but I am not sure how much better it is.

Just wanted to share my experiences with the TF701. Not saying it is the best machine out there, but for the price, I am very happy and cannot imagine the added cost for the other models would buy me that much. All the features of the 700 with the added performance and better screen. Very happy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhermit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12616

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
I have had a TF700 for exactly 1 year and 2 months, but two weeks ago the motherboard got fried due to my stupidity and I decided I needed a new tablet. The 700 CROMIX served me well and it had done everything I wanted it to with a few frustration.

I looked at the Samsungs, Kindles, Google Nexus 10, and the TF701. After a week of looking at all these I decided that
- Samsung was too expensive. Nice machines, but I was just not willing to pay the difference
- Kindles are also nice but a little small for me and I felt like I would always be fighting the Amazon controls they put on the device. HW wise it was the lightest machine with the best screen.
- Google Nexus 10 seemed a little too similar to the 701 and it had a little lesser specs (CPU and no MicroSD). Maybe I would wait for the NEW version, but it did not look like it is coming anytime soon (hopefully summer) and my guess is that it will be in the $500+ range
- So since the 701 has a better screen, better CPU, and very attractive price ($359 at amazon), I decided to go with it

Got the tablet and really did not wait: Upgraded to 4.3, Unlocked the bootloader, and installed CROMiX 6.0.1a on it. 20 minutes and I was good to go. I was really surprised how much faster than my 700 it is. I knew that the 1.9MHZ is better than the 700's 1.6 but I had the 700 overclocked and with the increased resolution, I expected they would be close. But the performance difference is really noticeable. I cannot comment on CROMiX vs the Stock in terms of how much the performance improvement is the optimized ROM because I did not really run the stock long enough. But this thing just flies. Boat browser with flash works great. My 16GB MicroSD worked great, the restore from Titanium worked great. My Nova settings were there and worked without trouble. Netflix does not stutter at all or Google movies or Mx Player. The battery was horrible after my first charge (lasted less than 8 hours) but also I was messing with it the whole time. After that, it looks like it goes about 2.5-3 hours per 1% in sleep and I would say it is a bit better than my 700 while on. The ROM has a "reading mode" that seems to slow down battery consumption while reading my Kindle app, but I am not sure how much better it is.

Just wanted to share my experiences with the TF701. Not saying it is the best machine out there, but for the price, I am very happy and cannot imagine the added cost for the other models would buy me that much. All the features of the 700 with the added performance and better screen. Very happy.
Nice report! I have the same experience but I still love my TF700.
ASUS Transformer TF700T/TF201/TF300T(GL)/ME301T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF300T | TF201T | ME301T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF700T Infinity
[ROM] mini-C TF700T Infinity
[ROM] CROMi-X TF300T(GL) | TF201T Prime | ME301T Smart Pad 10

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

Please Donate Here to support CROMi-X / CROMBi-kk Development
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sbdags For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jhermit
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdags View Post
Nice report! I have the same experience but I still love my TF700.
Yes, I probably would have lived OK with the TF700 for a while, but I am glad I fried it

BTW, Thanks for CROMiX... It is a really nice piece of work! Sending a couple of six packs your way...

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12616

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit View Post
Yes, I probably would have lived OK with the TF700 for a while, but I am glad I fried it

BTW, Thanks for CROMiX... It is a really nice piece of work! Sending a couple of six packs your way...
Wow! Many thanks for the donation! That is very kind of you.

Cheers!

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!

YayYouFixedIt
Old
Thanks Meter 54
My last tablet was the TF101 so I cant complain. My reasoning was the same as jhermit. Its the 701 just happens to be the one. With its high resolution, reflections, and so on. A good buy. The Samsung was the white one everywhere. Otherwise I would have gotten it. The white color really through me off of buying it. Can't figure that one out.

loner.
Old
Thanks Meter 122
The TF701T keeps dropping in price, it may be the one to get.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

lskywalker332
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I also have upgraded and have a few thoughts to add.
1. The docking station is all plastic, where the tf700t was metal. The plastic seems cheaper and typing and using the touchpad sounds plasticy, but the keyboard does type a bit easier.
2. The USB port on the base station is very very tight. I feel like I'm going to break it when I'm inserting and removing plugs.
3. The lack of vibration in the tablet is a bit of a let-down. I would have preferred to have the option.
4. The Micro USB port on the tablet is very tight and hard to get a card back out. It might be specific to my unit, but it's still an issue for me.
5. There are better brightness and performance options on the tf700t, but that may be part of the older OS as well.
6. The tablet dock hings has a lot more play/wobble in it. I read elsewhere that this was a design reason but it's floppy when I'm carrying the tablet around with the screen open.
7. Chrome was brutally bad on the tf700t; laggy, slow to load things, etc on both stock and custom ROMs. It appears that the extra horsepower in the tf701t has taken care of that problem.

So far so good on the custom ROM with xposed framework settings. I've restored all settings using Titanium Backup and am happy with it so far.

loner.
Old
Thanks Meter 122
I got the TF701 a couple days ago (no keyboard) and it's great, I see no down side at all yet and I still have the TF700 running better than it ever has with Crombi-kk. [emoji41]

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to loner. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pipopipz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I'm thinking of getting this too but I can't figure out why the supposed upgrade to my tf700 actually decreased its camera resolution. Sigh. Any feedback on the camera diffrence?

sbdags
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12616

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopipz View Post
I'm thinking of getting this too but I can't figure out why the supposed upgrade to my tf700 actually decreased its camera resolution. Sigh. Any feedback on the camera diffrence?

Never used a camera on a tablet, ever, so I couldn't tell you but everything else is better.

ASUS Transformer TF701T
[ROM] CROMi-X TF701T
[ROM] CROMBi-kk TF701

Google Nexus 5
Rocking Stock!