Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,692 Members 52,158 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Cheap Lens?

Tip us?

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Default Cheap Lens?

I'm not sure if I'm correct in assuming it is a lens, however has anyone noticed just what awful quality the glass covering the camera on the back of the phone is? The depth sensing camera seems to be a completely different glass to the glass the actual shooting camera.

I have noticed that it picks smudges up so easy, and it is near impossible to clean them off. Even with a fibre cloth, is still leaves marks on there! Also, it's super easy to scratch. I have kept my phone in a case since day one, and it's got multiple hairline scratches on it. A lot of the time people report the HTC One M8 as taking bad pictures, in reality it's because the lens is smudged because when you clean it up it looks better. It seems like HTC have literally just slapped a piece of untreated glass on there, it's worse than a mirror for marks!
Current Device: HTC One (M8)

Previous Devices

LG: G2, Nexus 5

Apple: iPhone 5 (Black & White 16 & 32GB), iPhone 5S (Space Gray 32 & 64GB, Gold 16GB), iPad 3

Samsung: Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 3

HTC: Desire, Desire HD, Mozart, Sensation, Sensation XE, One X, One Fanboy

Sony: Xperia Arc, Xperia Z1

Blackberry: Z10

Nokia: Lumia 925

mushages
Old
Thanks Meter 374

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaystott View Post
I'm not sure if I'm correct in assuming it is a lens, however has anyone noticed just what awful quality the glass covering the camera on the back of the phone is? The depth sensing camera seems to be a completely different glass to the glass the actual shooting camera.

I have noticed that it picks smudges up so easy, and it is near impossible to clean them off. Even with a fibre cloth, is still leaves marks on there! Also, it's super easy to scratch. I have kept my phone in a case since day one, and it's got multiple hairline scratches on it. A lot of the time people report the HTC One M8 as taking bad pictures, in reality it's because the lens is smudged because when you clean it up it looks better. It seems like HTC have literally just slapped a piece of untreated glass on there, it's worse than a mirror for marks!
You may want to add that the 4UP camera we are having can see stuff that other cameras can't see. In example dust where you can see that we can see dust more than any other camera in the market when taking a picture in a dusty surface. Yes I agree with you I always wipe my lens before wanting to take a good picture.
FiReFlaMe
Previous:HTC HD2 (Leo) {R.I.P}, HTC Butterfly S(Sold)
Current:SE Xperia X1 (HTC Kovsky), HTC One X (Tegra 3), HTC One M8

Donate or Thank to help me!

altimax98
Old
Thanks Meter 445
Quote:

I agree about the smudging, alot of times I will pull out my phone to shoot something and notice alot of glaring on lights and 99% of it is because of the lens being smudges.

I wonder if a oleophobic coating will help it resist smudging.. I also am thinking of grabbing the Nilkin Glass screen protector since it has a camera cover as well
Phones:
  • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9C, Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid,
  • HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid RAZR, Toro, Maguro, HTC One, Note 3
  • Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8)
Tablets/Other:
  • B&N Nook Color, HP Touchpad, iPad(2012),Nexus7 (12 & 13), Nexus 10, Toshiba Chromebook

sameer1807
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Definitely used the cheapest type of glass for the lens covers and even optical glass..color fringing, vignetting and ghosting plague this camera..guess they spent all of their costs on the metal build and speakers..just sad

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

UgXvibe
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Do your 'scratches' look like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	2728935
Current Device(s)
Motorola Xoom - Team EOS 4
Verizon HTC One M8 - Stock, Firewater S-off

Previous Device(s)
Verizon HTC One M7 - EclipticOne6
HTC Rezound - ViperRez 1.0.3
HTC Incredible - Jellybean RC4 4.2
Alltel HTC Touch Diamond - Stock

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgXvibe View Post
Do your 'scratches' look like this?
Attachment 2728935
Yeah, exactly like that. You need the light to see them, but I'm sure they are affecting image quality. It's actually making me consider switching to the Galaxy S5. I use my camera a lot, but for things like Instagram and Social Sharing so the megapixel count was never a big deal to me, what is a big deal is treating my phone with all the love and care I can and ending up with ridiculous scratches like that!

Previous Devices

Apple: iPhone 5 (Black & White 16 & 32GB), iPhone 5S (Space Gray 32 & 64GB, Gold 16GB), iPad 3

UgXvibe
Old
(Last edited by UgXvibe; 6th May 2014 at 08:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Yeah, exactly like that. You need the light to see them, but I'm sure they are affecting image quality. It's actually making me consider switching to the Galaxy S5. I use my camera a lot, but for things like Instagram and Social Sharing so the megapixel count was never a big deal to me, what is a big deal is treating my phone with all the love and care I can and ending up with ridiculous scratches like that!
I hear ya. I am anal about keeping all my phones pristine. Seems that its dangerous to post about this on forums because it turns into "People need to take more care of their phone" posts which is enraging. If I did it, I would admit it..

The fact that it is getting worse over time even though I am completely keeping it away from anything that would even remotely scratch it is annoying..

I opened a case with HTC and I will send it to them. If they say it's abuse I'm not sure what I'll do.
Current Device(s)

Previous Device(s)

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I hear ya. I am anal about keeping all my phones pristine. Seems that its dangerous to post about this on forums because it turns into "People need to take more care of their phone" posts which is enraging. If I did it, I would admit it..

The fact that it is getting worse over time even though I am completely keeping it away from anything that would even remotely scratch it is annoying..
It's unacceptable, I had the M7 last year and it didn't scratch like this, and look carefully at your second camera... the lens seems a lot stronger.

Glad someone feels the same!

Previous Devices

The Following User Says Thank You to jaaystott For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

UgXvibe
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
It's unacceptable, I had the M7 last year and it didn't scratch like this, and look carefully at your second camera... the lens seems a lot stronger.

Glad someone feels the same!
I compared it to my M7 that I had over a year and not a scratch.. I carry this phone the exact same way. Puzzling to say the least.
Current Device(s)

Previous Device(s)

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I compared it to my M7 that I had over a year and not a scratch.. I carry this phone the exact same way. Puzzling to say the least.
Has it caused noticeable effect to your pictures?

Previous Devices