Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,412 Members 44,586 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why people root there devices this days

Tip us?

bnight
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] Why people root there devices this days

So My question is as simple as that:

Why you rooted your phone ?

I`m an Linux administrator so I know what root account mean back in the days i rooted my phone because my android version was 2.1 and it wasn`t the most supported android version so I needed root in order to change the rom to 2.3 however I find CM really ugly and I know Samsung software is not the best possible but for me it works great.

So why you rooted your phone ? Is there a special reason why you want to skip OTA updates, To wait on Custom Rom developers to finally make your camera work as on the stock rom and your 3G to actually work ? Is CM rom really worth all the efforts in order to root your device ?

So why you rooted your phone ?

babygau
Old
(Last edited by babygau; 16th June 2014 at 09:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnight View Post

Why you rooted your phone ?

I`m an Linux administrator so I know what root account mean back in the days i rooted my phone because my android version was 2.1 and it wasn`t the most supported android version so I needed root in order to change the rom to 2.3 however I find CM really ugly and I know Samsung software is not the best possible but for me it works great.

So why you rooted your phone ? Is there a special reason why you want to skip OTA updates, To wait on Custom Rom developers to finally make your camera work as on the stock rom and your 3G to actually work ? Is CM rom really worth all the efforts in order to root your device ?

1. To be freedom
2. To remove all craps that we don't want and have a complete backup/restore solution
3. To tweak the phone, make it work faster and smoother
4. Add more features that is only done by rooting devices such as Adblocks (both web & apps), underclock...
4. To use CM/AOSP sources that have much longer support than Samsung (Think about 18 months later, Will SamSung still support your devices like Apple or Microsoft?)
Please click THANKS button on the left instead of just saying if you find my post useful for you ,

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

Device: Galaxy S5 G900I
ROM: XtreStoLite ROM by @edgarf28
Kernel: KT Kernel by @ktoonsez with modified ktoonsifized v2 profile

ag4751
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:

Simple answer is I want to control my phone, I don't want it to be controlled by my service provide.

I get my S5 in two weeks and it will be rooted, the o2 rom replace with a generic BTU rom (not bothered about knox), all previous phones I have had have been rooted, current S3, previous S2 and xperia X10.

There is more freedom, ability to customise it your way, replace ugly stock theme with your own theme, unlock features that are locked by Samsung or the service provider, removing unnecessary bloat ware.

Added functionality in root apps such as Titanium Backup, Root Explorer and improve battery life.

Root gives you freedom to do as you like with your device.
If I have been helpful remember the Thanks button

johan81
Old
(Last edited by johan81; 17th June 2014 at 09:35 AM.)
Thanks Meter 52
I use root for the following: ad blocking, removing camera sounds, Titanium backup, EFS backup (in some rare cases even with stock updates EFS problems arose), move apps to external SD card, mod some UI stuff (like the S Find/Quick Connect bar) and some less important stuff. So, that is a pretty extensive list if you ask me

mefistos
Old
Thanks Meter 47
greenify ..
Nexus 4 16Gb | Franco's Kernel | 4.4.1 PA
Samsung Galaxy S5 | Stock Kernel | Stock Rom

Proud member of xda Forums

jaymccoubrey
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Ad blocker. And most of the time u can run a newer version of android then what the phone came with.

sent from my thumbs

bnight
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymccoubrey View Post
Ad blocker. And most of the time u can run a newer version of android then what the phone came with.

sent from my thumbs
Yes but not all the functions of your phone work that way.

Ad blocker sounds like a good idea for your data plan however I have 1 GB of data per month and unlimited after that but with lower speed and my actual data usage is like 200-300 MB per month with ads so this is not something that I really need and the apps that I use needs this ads in order to support them self.

About backup when my S4 mini LCD screen goes black I still had the ability to move my data via usb cable and Kies so when I take my S5 I spend probably 30 minutes to download back my backup from the S4 Mini and the only thing that I needed was to install my applications because of the newer android version of the S5.

However I do think that a lot of stuff is not working as it should be on custom roms.

wmwamidi
Old
Thanks Meter 36
The question should be: Why root a NEW Phone? As phones get older, manufacturer support ceases, one roots the phone to install new custom firmware.
There is a tide in the affairs of men...which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Ride the Tide.

Hellscythe
Old
Thanks Meter 430
xposed framework.

And with this new root method I don't have to worry about tripping KNOX and losing warranty.
Previous devices:

HTC Incredible S S710e

Sony Xperia Z C6603

Current devices:

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900I

Goldie
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 15907

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
To wait on Custom Rom developers to finally make your camera work as on the stock rom and your 3G to actually work ? Is CM rom really worth all the efforts in order to root your device ?

Why oh why do people always just talk about cm based rom's. I root my device to provide custom rom's comparable to cm in terms of customisation whilst keeping everything Samsung based working.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
If you think its worth it......you could buy me a beer