OP Restl3ss

10th February 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Fort Mcmurray
Thanks Meter: 887

517 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello there. Some of you may know me from my work on other devices. I am Restl3ss. I have come across an SGH-S730M and was painfully disappointed with the support; namely that not only is there not one single custom rom (not even a stock ROM!) but all the root methods to date seem to involve some sort of third party hack-o-tron program instead of rooting the right way (a flashable zip and / or odin file). So, I've thrown together a flashable zip for the samsung galaxy discover SGH-S730M that will both root and overclock the device to 1 ghz. I've also decided to do a comprehensive guide for once, rather than throwing up the files with a figure-it-out type of stance. Without further ranting, here is my noob-friendly root guide for the SGH-S730M.

I am not responsible if anything goes wrong. I don't predict any problems but you never know. Use at your own risk.

Instructions:

Part one is to install a custom recovery. For this guide we will be using CWM. You will need three things to do that. The latest Samsung USB drivers, the CWM.tar.md5 file, and the flashing tool known as Odin. Get the Samsung drivers from here and install. Afterwards, download the Odin.zip from here and the CWM.tar.md5 from here. When the downloads are finished and you have the Samsung USB drivers installed, unzip Odin and run the .exe within.
Now, boot your phone into download mode. To do this, shut off your phone and plug it into your computer. Now hold the volume down, power, and home button simultaneously until the phone vibrates. Once it does, let go of ONLY THE POWER BUTTON. Your phone should now boot into download mode.
Now in odin, click the button that says PDA. a file selection prompt will appear. Locate the .tar.md5 file you downloaded earlier. Once you have, wait for odin to verify, and then click Start. Odin will now flash on a custom recovery, and your phone will reboot normally once the process is complete.

Part two is to flash the actual rooting zip. To do this, first download the zip found here. Then, copy it to your phones storage. once you have done this, shut off the phone. Restart the phone into recovery mode. To do this, (with the phone shut off) hold the power button and volume up button until the phone vibrates, then let go of ONLY THE POWER BUTTON. Your phone should boot into clockwork mod recovery. You can navigate this recovery by using the volume up and down buttons to move up and down in the menu, and the power button to make a selection. In clockworkmod recovery, select "install". Find the root zip you downloaded earlier and select it. Clockworkmod will ask you if you're sure you want to flash, select yes. After the flashing is finished, select reboot device. Your phone will boot up like normal and upon boot you will get an "android is upgrading" message. Wait for that to finish, and then use your phone as normal Congratulations, you are now rooted and overclocked.

Download links (once more, in case someone doesn't feel like peeling through the tutorial to find them)
Samsung USB drivers: drivers
Odin: odin
CWM: cwm
root.zip: root
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Restl3ss For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 12:17 AM   |  #2  
Flag Montreal,QC
Thanks Meter: 0

47 posts
More
just wondering if u ever came across a status 255 installation aborted error... i get that in step 2 when in CWM i select the zip for rooting
any ideas ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, odin, overclock, root, sgh-s730m
Previous Thread Next Thread