Root without having to unlock bootloader

Search This thread

devilsmack

Aug 8, 2012
I successfully rooted my shield without unlocking bootloader using towelroot. When you install the apk and run it it says it will reboot in 15 seconds, but it will take a little longer than that for some reason so just let it sit for a while. After it reboot I had the SuperSU from chainfire's website downloaded. Use root explorer to open the zip. Go to common folder and install the apk. Worked for me.towelroot.com. download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

devilsmack

Aug 8, 2012
cool, I hope it just does not break future updates of the shield ...

Me too. But it is very easy to unroot through the SuperSU app. I would just make sure you undo anything you change system wise before unrooting like uninstalling busybox.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
I successfully rooted my shield without unlocking bootloader using towelroot. When you install the apk and run it it says it will reboot in 15 seconds, but it will take a little longer than that for some reason so just let it sit for a while. After it reboot I had the SuperSU from chainfire's website downloaded. Use root explorer to open the zip. Go to common folder and install the apk. Worked for me.towelroot.com. download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip.

Are you on the 77 update? Kitkat.

psycho1200

Jun 20, 2012
Ecatepec
Thanks, do you know if this works on any other devices, i know that you root your N3 using the method, i want to use it on my moto G, running kk, i will try it, thanks again

devilsmack

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks, do you know if this works on any other devices, i know that you root your N3 using the method, i want to use it on my moto G, running kk, i will try it, thanks again

I believe Geohot said it should work on any phone with a kernel date before June 3. Shouldn't hurt to give it a try. It will either root or it won't. I think the Motorola community has been able to unlock some bootloaders after using this root method. Check the forums for you particular device.

kossiewossie

Sep 17, 2013

this worked for my shield using latest update with a locked bootloader. brilliant! saved me alot of time!

alucard_xs

Feb 24, 2011
strange, the app seems to hang ... is it normal ?

Does not seem to work for me, when I click on "Make it ra1n", the app seems to hang and the texte beneath the "make it ra1n" is still "click the button to root no more reboot required" ... and that's all ...

UP : I use towelroot v2, did you use v1 ?
UP2: I tried v1 without success , it's written reboot in 15 seconds but i's been 6 minutes right now ... how long did you wait before it reboots ?

Last edited:

kossiewossie

Sep 17, 2013
strange, the app seems to hang ... is it normal ?

Does not seem to work for me, when I click on "Make it ra1n", the app seems to hang and the texte beneath the "make it ra1n" is still "click the button to root no more reboot required" ... and that's all ...

UP : I use towelroot v2, did you use v1 ?
UP2: I tried v1 without success , it's written reboot in 15 seconds but i's been 6 minutes right now ... how long did you wait before it reboots ?

for me using v1 it hanged for about 1min, then I swiped it away in the multitasking panel and the device rebooted itself and then I had root access.. Seems little dodgy but it worked

motrinHD

Nov 30, 2011
what is a reliable link to get towel root? and thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2014
Hey having a bit of problems hoping someone can help? Like a previous user mentioned Towelroot hangs after clicking 'make it rain'. A few minutes go by and I get a 'not responding' prompt. If I click 'wait', a few Kore minutes go by then same thing again. If I click 'close' the device reboots without root.

I'm at a loss for what to do next.. Is it recommended doing this in safe mode? 4.4.2.

Cheers

Vustom

Sep 10, 2011
How did you get this to work? I downloaded tr.apk v3, installed it, opened the app up and after clicking make it ra1n it says my phone is not supported?

Would changing the modstrings help, if so; to what?

Last edited:

devilsmack

Aug 8, 2012
How did you get this to work? I downloaded tr.apk v3, installed it, opened the app up and after clicking make it ra1n it says my phone is not supported?

Would changing the modstrings help, if so; to what?

I don't know what the difference is but I used v1. Maybe do a search for that apk and see if it works for you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ended up using v1 (tried all 3) and it finally worked. Crashed, but didn't restart the device.

The 3 versions can still be downloaded just change the number in the hyperlink..

http://www.towelroot.com/tr1.apk

cool, I hope it just does not break future updates of the shield ...
    Are you on the 77 update? Kitkat.

Yes.

V1 did the trick

agedy6y9.jpg

qagavy6y.jpg

7yzypygu.jpg

So glad I got screen recording working on this ^_^

Sent from my SHIELD using Tapatalk