Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

"External" gamepads with Shield

Tip us?

king conan
Old
(Last edited by king conan; 3rd October 2013 at 08:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default "External" gamepads with Shield

Hi there,

let me explain my goal. I want to use my shield for all my PC gaming. Portable around the house, and that is great when the main TV is being used by other members of my family.

But also it's great to connect it to the TV when it's available. My main PC is a desktop one used for working and when I play I don't want to be there. I prefer sofa, bed, etc.

So, I wanted to have a fine console experience in my sofa in front of the tv, but wirelessly. I have these accesories for it:

USB OTG, HDMI, USB hub, USB-ethernet (the one that actually works is this: http://plugable.com/products/usb2-e1000 ), and wireless Xbox controller with the usb receiver.

Well,

I almost have it, but not 100%.

HDMI works
Ethernet works
USB hub works
Xbox controller works but D-pad does not, and that is frustrating, because every other button works fine and it's a joy to lie in my sofa to play that way. Some games need the D-pad and because of that this is not a solution.

The other way to use the Xbox controller is leaving it connected to the PC and it works good when I'm in front od the TV because my PC is just upstairs. BUT, most of the games when launched from Shield ignore the controller of the PC and only work with the Shield itself...

Is anyone crazy enough to try this way of gaming?

I know the Nyko dock would help to achieve this, but it's completely missing since it was announced...

Would a bluetooth gamepad work with all the buttons (D-pad included) for a perfect PC streaming experience???

Tomorrow I friend will let my try a PS3 controller. Let's see how it performs. I did not want to root, but I will at least to try it wirelessly.

agrabren
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9605

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by king conan View Post
Is anyone crazy enough to try this way of gaming?
I use an OnLive controller. I haven't tried the XBox 360 Wireless dongle, but Bluetooth works great. If you're looking for a controller that has similar build quality and characteristics, I strongly recommend the OnLive one, even without the service (I don't have the service, just the control).

I'll give the dpad a try this weekend and verify it works on my SHIELD though, since I haven't tested that extensively.

king conan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrabren View Post
I use an OnLive controller. I haven't tried the XBox 360 Wireless dongle, but Bluetooth works great. If you're looking for a controller that has similar build quality and characteristics, I strongly recommend the OnLive one, even without the service (I don't have the service, just the control).

I'll give the dpad a try this weekend and verify it works on my SHIELD though, since I haven't tested that extensively.
Thanks for answering.

Yesterday I tried a PS3 controllorer. I rooted my shield to use it wirelessly with the sixaxis app, and it works exactly the same as the Xbox controller. All the buttons are OK, except D-PAD ones.

It's weird, beacues the D-pad buttons work fine in the shield interface but not with PC-Steam games. It's a very small detail but if Nvidia solves this in future update would be perfect.

agrabren
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9605

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by king conan View Post
Thanks for answering.

Yesterday I tried a PS3 controllorer. I rooted my shield to use it wirelessly with the sixaxis app, and it works exactly the same as the Xbox controller. All the buttons are OK, except D-PAD ones.

It's weird, beacues the D-pad buttons work fine in the shield interface but not with PC-Steam games. It's a very small detail but if Nvidia solves this in future update would be perfect.
I didn't try streaming (I handle only the Android side of things) but I'll make sure a bug exists about it. I'll bet it'll get fixed pretty quick.

jchalk59
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same issue here!

I am having the EXACT same issue! Everything works perfectly except for the d-pad. I've also noticed that the right analog stick does not work like a "mouse" on the home screen like the native controller does.

If these 2 items would be fixed, I would have a veritable portable "steam machine" in my living room!

Will follow this thread and hope there is a resolution soon! I bought the Xbox 360 Receiver for this express purpose! Note: The wired 360 controller works perfectly, so was surprised about the wireless one not working.

agrabren
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9605

DONATE TO ME
The wired one is special, but I'd expect thus stuff to get fixed. I'll try to look into it.

Sent from my One using XDA Premium HD app

king conan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchalk59 View Post
I bought the Xbox 360 Receiver for this express purpose! Note: The wired 360 controller works perfectly, so was surprised about the wireless one not working.
What do you mean it does not work?

PC receiver for Xbox controller works fine with the shield.

You can see my setup in the picture above and it works the same as a wired one.

You need the controller receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wirel.../dp/B000HZFCT2

And a true Xbox 360 wireless controller:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wirel...ef=pd_sim_vg_1

If you root your shield, the PS3 controller is a good choice too. Less cables involved because you will be using bluetooth to pair with the shield.

But as we said, it's not a perfect experience. Many PC modern games use D-Pad buttons for extra options and without them you can't play properly.

Furyus
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I think you're being too literal on "not working" there King Conan. Read his post, he's having the same issue with lack of d-pad on the wireless. He considers this to be not working probably because of games that require the controls. I would have to agree, I use d-pad all the time.

king conan
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
but he says the wired works and the wireless don't...

Both work exactly the same, that's why I didn't get him.

Furyus
Old
Thanks Meter 1
It's not just the wireless with the d-pad problem, wired is the same way?