Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,482 Members 53,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Enable Stock Hotspot on Verizon

Tip us?

jake5253
Old
(Last edited by jake5253; 18th June 2014 at 11:58 PM.) Reason: Thanks to @vacaloca for fixing error in code =p
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 18
Default [MOD] Enable Stock Hotspot on Verizon

I have gotten the built-in wireless tether to work. I know there's been some discussion about getting Wireless tether without FoxFi and similar.
Since we cannot use the recovery method directly, you can still use the tools and everything from it.
So to begin:

Obviously, you must have root for this to work.

1) Download the patch.zip from the original thread. [here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2768837 ]

2) extract the zip to somewhere on sdcard. I extracted mine to the Download folder. You may need to edit the script below to reflect your locations.

3) okay, this part gets a little weird, but bear with me...
Save this code as run.sh in Download folder or wherever you extracted. You can over-write the old run.sh if you save it in toggle folder where original was located-- BE SURE TO EDIT AS REQUIRED

Code:
Select Code
#!/sbin/sh
cp /mnt/sdcard/Download/toggle/sqlite3 /data/local/tmp/sqlite3
chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/sqlite3
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p23 /system
cp /system/framework/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk.bak
cp /mnt/sdcard/Download/system/framework/framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
/data/local/tmp/sqlite3 /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db < /mnt/sdcard/Download/toggle/toggles.sql
4) now open up adb on pc (preferred!!! So you can still see progress and if necesary you can undo/alter/fix things) or terminal emulator (untested but should work, may be weird since you have to reboot phone while it's interface is locked up)
Run:

adb shell
su
sh /mnt/sdcard/Download/toggle/run.sh [or where ever you saved it]

5) Your phone will probably lock up now because you've just replaced the framework-res.apk while the system was running.
adb reboot or reboot by other methods.

6) Profit ;]

I DO NOT WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE THIS METHOD. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jake5253 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vacaloca
Old
(Last edited by vacaloca; 16th June 2014 at 05:25 AM.) Reason: more info
Thanks Meter 87
I believe the sqlite edits serve the purpose of showing the icon in the quick settings pull down. Otherwise, just replacing the framework-res.apk with the correct changes is enough: See this thread for the changes needed:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2759119

Incidentally, I was attempting to make the changes on my own and recompile the framework-res.apk, and I must've done something not quite right because the phone hung at the verizon logo. Thankfully adb was up so I was able to remount system as rw to replace the edited framework-res.apk from the original thread OP linked. Interestingly enough, as soon as I finished copying the edited file, the phone continued booting just fine, and I'm posting from the native tethered connection now.

Edit: I was able to do the changes on the framework-res.apk extracted/decompiled from my phone after all. I'm guessing that the phone didn't like deflate method as opposed to store method (no compression) on the resources.arsc file in the apk file. Had to use the 7zip command line tool to save the modified resources.arsc file without compression to the original apk:

7z u -mx0 framework-res.apk.zip resources.arsc

where -mx0 means no compression (copy)

WillTheGreat
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Got it enabled by just replacing the framework-res.apk, and noticed speeds were really slow. I get 1.88mbps on LTE at home (so-so coverage), but only .15mbps on my iPad connected to my phone via Wi-Fi.

Droid_Evo_8
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I did this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13&postcount=9
SO MUCH EASIER than what you guys were doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Droid_Evo_8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vacaloca
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
I did this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13&postcount=9
SO MUCH EASIER than what you guys were doing.
It's a manner of preference. In terms of overhead, this native method should technically be quicker to enable, as it does not have to wait for the exposed module to intercept the call and return an empty array of apps to execute for the provision check. That being said, we're probably talking miliseconds at most. While I use xposed for other modules sometimes, others might prefer not to, and this native method does not require it.
The Following User Says Thank You to vacaloca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Droid_Evo_8
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaloca View Post
It's a manner of preference. In terms of overhead, this native method should technically be quicker to enable, as it does not have to wait for the exposed module to intercept the call and return an empty array of apps to execute for the provision check. That being said, we're probably talking miliseconds at most. While I use xposed for other modules sometimes, others might prefer not to, and this native method does not require it.
I don't know much about adb or terminal emulator so I'm fine with it.

fillyo
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Here's to hoping for an easy tethering mod!
Verizon Galaxy S5 - Rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 CyanogenMod 11 - Kit Kat
Nexus 10 - ThunderKat
Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 - OmniRom 4.4.2
RIP: GS4, GS3, Nexus, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Storm 2, Storm, Curve

vacaloca
Old
(Last edited by vacaloca; 16th June 2014 at 04:08 PM.)
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyo View Post
Here's to hoping for an easy tethering mod!
I'm not sure how easier it can get than installing xposed framework + X Tether mod and rebooting, or replacing the framework-res.apk file on your phone with the one listed in the OP... either will work. This of course assumes you have the Verizon model. Replacing the premade framework-res.apk on any other S5 model would probably cause issues and wouldn't solve anything .

I just made it 'harder' on myself by deciding to copy the original framework-res.apk from my phone, and using the latest apktool and aapt to extract the apk, make the modifications, rebuild it, and replace it on my phone (after renaming the original to .bak). I mostly did this to refresh my memory on how to do it as I had done the process with another phone a while back to do the same mod. As I mentioned earlier, the sqlite stuff is only necessary if you want a toggle in the quick settings bar... otherwise you can just go into settings menu and enable it that way.

fillyo
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaloca View Post
I'm not sure how easier it can get than installing xposed framework + X Tether mod and rebooting, or replacing the framework-res.apk file on your phone with the one listed in the OP... either will work.
I don't see the framework-res.apk file in OP, am I missing something? I have no idea how to decompile mine to make changes.
Verizon Galaxy S5 - Rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 CyanogenMod 11 - Kit Kat
Nexus 10 - ThunderKat
Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 - OmniRom 4.4.2
RIP: GS4, GS3, Nexus, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Storm 2, Storm, Curve

vacaloca
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyo View Post
I don't see the framework-res.apk file in OP, am I missing something? I have no idea how to decompile mine to make changes.
It's linked to in step (1). It's inside the zip file that's meant to be flashed in a recovery... however, because our bootloader is still locked, we cannot flash a recovery, so the way to do it is by replacing the framework-res.apk file as the filesystem is live, which as the OP mentions, will trigger a soft reboot as this file is used extensively by Android apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to vacaloca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]