Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,615 Members 46,358 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Status on Root/Custom Recovery/Bootloader

Tip us?

Syn Ack
Old
(Last edited by Syn Ack; 16th July 2014 at 03:23 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 283
Default Status on Root/Custom Recovery/Bootloader

I'd like to make this particular thread about the current status of root, bootloader, and recovery. Feel free to post here or PM me so I can keep this thread as up to date as possible.

Keep in mind our devices will likely take longer to gain these mods due to Verizon locking us down more than other carriers usually. We likely won't have an unlocked bootloader ever.

This is for the Verizon Galaxy S5 ONLY! And now AT&T S5, please welcome our brothers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Root: Geohot has rooted our phones and if you pledged a donation please think about finding a way to get it to him. It is the right thing to do, but also not mandatory.
http://www.towelroot.com

Recovery: We have Safestrap at the time being
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2793891

Bootloader: Unknown

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO NOT FOR ANY REASON USE THIS THREAD TO COMPARE THE GS5 TO THE M8 OR ANY OTHER PHONE
Verizon HTC One M7 Unlocked Rooted
Verizon Galaxy S5 SafeStrapped Rooted
Verizon LG G3 or iPhone6 Coming Soon
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Syn Ack For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Franzie3
Old
Thanks Meter 297

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for starting this.

I know The T-Mo version has been rooted with CF-Auto-root by Chainfire. I think as of now that voids the warranty and trips the KNOX security so i do not think paypal fingerprint auth will work.

I am really just looking for root and hopefully on that doesnt throw Knox haywire.

Syn Ack
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzie3 View Post
Thanks for starting this.

I know The T-Mo version has been rooted with CF-Auto-root by Chainfire. I think as of now that voids the warranty and trips the KNOX security so i do not think paypal fingerprint auth will work.

I am really just looking for root and hopefully on that doesnt throw Knox haywire.
Yes I think you're right. It trips Knox. I have no association with any of the developers, I just plan on updating the statuses of these areas and including links once there are finally informational threads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Verizon HTC One M7 Unlocked Rooted
Verizon Galaxy S5 SafeStrapped Rooted
Verizon LG G3 or iPhone6 Coming Soon

open1your1eyes0
Old
Thanks Meter 3247

DONATE TO ME
Have any of you tried Kingo Root yet?

Just Google it, not allowed to post the link here (site rules).

blulite
Old
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by open1your1eyes0 View Post
Have any of you tried Kingo Root yet?

Just Google it, not allowed to post the link here (site rules).
Interesting. Who's going first?

bigbarrel
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Anybody try Kingo? Will rooting definitely ruin Knox?
Samsung Galaxy S5 by Verizon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigbarrel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jpmcnown
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrel View Post
You could claim to have done it and say it works fine, just to get some other poor soul to try it, and if they don't come back wanting to kill you, should be safe to try....unless they realize what you did, and tell you it's fine just to brick you S5 too. On that note, it worked fine.
Samsung Galaxy S5, 16+64, Locked down like an iPhone HTC One M8 32+64 /S-off/ Unlocked/ Rooted/ Rom'd, Samsung Galaxy S5, 16+64 Again (Thanks Geohot)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpmcnown For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

waleed300
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Guys, something very weird just happened to my phone... I reinstalled all of my apps to my phone.. put my phone on charge and I noticed my phone rebooted and was stuck on the Verizon red boot logo.. I did a battery pull and turned it back on and this was what I saw.. Custom with the custom lock logo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-12-00-34-26.png
Views:	3291
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	2681367   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014.04.11_23.59.54.jpg
Views:	3654
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	2681368  

nicholi2789
Old
Thanks Meter 156

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by waleed300 View Post
Guys, something very weird just happened to my phone... I reinstalled all of my apps to my phone.. put my phone on charge and I noticed my phone rebooted and was stuck on the Verizon red boot logo.. I did a battery pull and turned it back on and this was what I saw.. Custom with the custom lock logo...
What did you do? Try to see if Kingo works or something? Reboot to recovery, wipe the cache and reboot. Or factory reset if you have to. Is your Knox counter tripped?
Verizon HTC One (M8)>S-OFF>Root >TWRPv2.7.0.2>insecure kernel>SanDisk 64gb ext SD
NEXUS 7 (2012)>MultiRom21b>CM11>SlimKat

"For what have you really accomplished when you have bested a fool?"
"It is a huge mistake to theorize before one has data. Inevitably, one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."

Verizon Galaxy S4 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy S3 (SOLD) Verizon Galaxy NEXUS (SOLD)

Guadalupeohara
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrel View Post
You can see this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2611971

i think it will help you to rooting knox