Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

Tip us?

RavenY2K3
Old
(Last edited by RavenY2K3; 1st September 2014 at 10:10 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 363
Default [ROOT KERNEL FOR TowelRoot] Tab Pro 8.4, 10.1

As you may be aware, GeoHotz has created an app to root an android device using a recently discovered exploit.
I tried it on my LTE Tab Pro 8.4 which had the latest firmware for my region "BTU" which is NB7,

It wouldn't work, but another XDA member @Inuit, said it worked for him with the DBT NE5 firmware he has on his device.

SO! I downloaded the DBT NE5 file, extracted the Kernel and repackaged it and flashed the Kernel on it's own. Then tried the root method.
I have now successfully rooted the device and kept Knox at a cool 0x0.

I chose to do things this way, as I wanted to keep my regions firmware and not that of another county.
So I still have my original firmware, but I am now using the newer Kernel, everything seems to be working fine but considering I only did this 15 minutes ago, I haven't had enough time to test. But connectivity is fine, battery levels fine etc...

UPDATE: Everything is fine for me, loaded Xposed modules, no adverse affects at all

I have attached the repackaged Kernel, all you need to do, is go into download mode and flash the file under the "AP" Tab in Odin 3.09.

Then install the TowelRoot app, which you can get from the links in the thread below:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

Install the latest, SuperSU (again links in the above thread).

You should be rooted and Knox kept at a cool 0x0.

I have tested the this on my Device the T325 and another user tested the Kernel for the Wi-Fi version T320 and are working fine But!
You try at your own risk!
Download links below

TR Rootable Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325
Original NG1 Kernel for LTE 8.4 SM-T325

TR Rootable Kernel for Wi-Fi Only 8.4 SM-T320
Original NG1 Kernel for Wifi Only 8.4 SM-T320

TR Rootable Kernel for SM-T525 10.1 LTE SM-T525

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140618_11272.jpg
Views:	11110
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2805090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-18-11-08-08.jpg
Views:	11108
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	2805091  
Attached Files
File Type: tar T325_Kernel.tar - [Click for QR Code] (9.71 MB, 216 views)
Current Device: Galaxy Note III SM-N9005, Tab Pro 8.4 & Galaxy Camera EK-GC100

Retired but still own: Galaxy Note II, Dell Streak, Note 8.0 GT-N5100

Used to own:Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 - Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - - HTC Touch Pro 2 - Samsung Galaxy SII - HTC Desire - MDA Vario III - HTC Hermes (MDA Vario II) - Raphael - HTC Touch Pro -
HTC Wizard (MDA Vario) - O2 XDA IIi - HTC Magician (MDA Compact)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RavenY2K3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hkfriends
Old
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenY2K3 View Post
As you may be aware, GeoHotz has created an app to root an android device using a recently discovered exploit.
I tried it on my LTE Tab Pro 8.4 which had the latest firmware for my region "BTU" which is NB7,

It wouldn't work, but another XDA member @Inuit, said it worked for him with the DBT NE5 firmware he has on his device.

SO! I downloaded the DBT NE5 file, extracted the Kernel and repackaged it and flashed the Kernel on it's own. Then tried the root method.
I have now successfully rooted the device and kept Knox at a cool 0x0.

I chose to do things this way, as I wanted to keep my regions firmware and not that of another county.
So I still have my original firmware, but I am now using the newer Kernel, everything seems to be working fine but considering I only did this 15 minutes ago, I haven't had enough time to test. But connectivity is fine, battery levels fine etc...

I have attached the repackaged Kernel, all you need to do, is go into download mode and flash the file under the "AP" Tab in Odin 3.09.

Then install the TowelRoot app, which you can get from the links in the thread below:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

Install the latest, SuperSU (again links in the above thread).

You should be rooted and Knox kept at a cool 0x0.

Remember: My device and these files are for the SM-T325. You try at your own risk!

good trick
The Following User Says Thank You to hkfriends For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spectro_axis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi RavenY2K3,

Thanks for your guide. May I know if Knox will be triggered if I install your attached Kernel via Odin?

RavenY2K3
Old
(Last edited by RavenY2K3; 19th June 2014 at 12:05 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 363
@spectro_axis
As you can see in the screenshot, mine has not tripped, neither has anyone else's that I'm aware of on ANY Knox enabled device. What tab have you got?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Used to own:Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000 - Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 - Galaxy Note GT-N7000 - - HTC Touch Pro 2 - Samsung Galaxy SII - HTC Desire - MDA Vario III - HTC Hermes (MDA Vario II) - Raphael - HTC Touch Pro -

spectro_axis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenY2K3 View Post
@spectro_axis
As you can see in the screenshot, mine has not tripped, neither has anyone else's that I'm aware of on ANY Knox enabled device. What tab have you got?

Hi RavenY2K3,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I currently own a Tab pro 8.4 LTE. I am actually thinking of updating my Tab pro with the latest T325 Firmware from Germany via odin. I am currently on the firmware from Singapore ,2014 March, 4.4.2, T325XXU1ANBB. Do you know whether will knox be tripped if i flash the Germany firmware over the current Singapore firmware? Thanks for your assistance.

RavenY2K3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectro_axis View Post
Hi RavenY2K3,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I currently own a Tab pro 8.4 LTE. I am actually thinking of updating my Tab pro with the latest T325 Firmware from Germany via odin. I am currently on the firmware from Singapore ,2014 March, 4.4.2, T325XXU1ANBB. Do you know whether will knox be tripped if i flash the Germany firmware over the current Singapore firmware? Thanks for your assistance.
My Tab came from China going by the firmware that came with mine out of the box and I replaced it with the UK BTU firmware no problems, you have to wipe the device etc for the CSC to apply though.

Pretty certain you can get difficulties if the new ROM is older than the one installed, if it's number is greater than or equal to the currently installed firmware you should be fine.

All the above is for official firmware though, not custom creations.

MagicianPe
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thumbs up SM-T320 With T320XXU1ANAI from Peru

I want to confirm that using the kernel posted in this thread I was able to root the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 using [TR] with the stock firmware T320XXU1ANAI

Of course Knox flag was not tripped.

Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicianPe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dansafe
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I already have 0x1. It is to return KNOX 0x0? It goes?

RavenY2K3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansafe View Post
I already have 0x1. It is to return KNOX 0x0? It goes?
No, once it's been triggered, that's it no going back. Unless someone figures out how to crack it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RavenY2K3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

macioh
Old
Thanks Meter 1
one question left: what about an official OTA after flashing this modified kernel? will it work as it should?

Wysłane z mojego SM-T320 przy użyciu Tapatalka