FORUMS

Nexus & Cookies: A More Focused Direction?

It is that time of the year again, and we are approaching the day where Android fans all over … more

LG G4 US Carrier Release Dates

The LG G4 was announced on April 29th with its Snapdragon 808 SoC, a welcomed change from its higher-end … more

Microsoft Reaches Pre-Install Agreement With New OEMs

As of late, Microsoft has been making a subtle but widespread play into the … more

Discover XDA: Discover Greater

We’ve all been there at some point in our XDA lives; we used to spend hours browsing over the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Official KitKat for Canadian GS3 variants out now?

18th June 2014, 12:19 PM |#1  
DarthDerron's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag GTA, Ontario
Thanks Meter: 462
 
More
Is this for real??

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=31062
 
 
18th June 2014, 01:40 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Orangeville
Thanks Meter: 96
 
More
Yes it is. KitKat is now available for the Canadian Note II and S III.
18th June 2014, 01:53 PM |#3  
HiKsFiles's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Québec city
Thanks Meter: 160
 
Donate to Me
More
It is real!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy S3 upgrade to KitKat now available to download

Now, the real question is : is the bootloader locked ?!
18th June 2014, 01:56 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Waiting rooted stock ROM
19th June 2014, 12:14 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Telus made their available earlier today, and Bell's is out now.

On a side note, does anyone know how to get the update on a rooted device? I just rooted mine a few weeks ago. Still running stock ROM, but nothing I've tried seems to work.
19th June 2014, 01:21 AM |#6  
HiKsFiles's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Québec city
Thanks Meter: 160
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex

On a side note, does anyone know how to get the update on a rooted device? I just rooted mine a few weeks ago. Still running stock ROM, but nothing I've tried seems to work.

Forget it, you won't be able to get it through official OTA.

Once you're rooted, your only way to update is to wait for someone to create a flashable zip of the update, flash the entire ROM by downloading from samfirmware or wait for a custom ROM.
19th June 2014, 01:28 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKsFiles

Forget it, you won't be able to get it through official OTA.

Once you're rooted, your only way to update is to wait for someone to create a flashable zip of the update, flash the entire ROM by downloading from samfirmware or wait for a custom ROM.

Tried updating over KIES - what an ordeal. Had to run through emergency recovery twice but finally got it. I wasn't using root access for a great deal - basically lose out on Greenify automanaging and being able to revoke permissions. I can live with that for a while.
Last edited by radapex; 19th June 2014 at 01:38 AM.
19th June 2014, 02:24 AM |#8  
Laugher19's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
I hear towelroot for the s5 works with the kk update.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Laugher19 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th June 2014, 04:13 AM |#9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex

Tried updating over KIES - what an ordeal. Had to run through emergency recovery twice but finally got it. I wasn't using root access for a great deal - basically lose out on Greenify automanaging and being able to revoke permissions. I can live with that for a while.

KIES doesn't want to recognise my device and Odin is... either stuck on flashing system.img.ext4 or taking really long... heh
EDIT: Changed USB port and Cable and it flashed properly...
Last edited by nlz242; 19th June 2014 at 05:50 AM.
19th June 2014, 08:47 PM |#10  
Tornade69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal Northshore
Thanks Meter: 154
 
More
Great News!
That's really a great news!!! Anyone planning to make a flashable zipfile for this rom without the bootloader and knox? I preserve 4.1.2 bootloader on my phone since 4.3 came out. So far, is this update good ?? i heard battery life not really good...

Thanks guys!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes