Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,909 Members 37,851 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] How to Flash a New ROM & Install all APPS in 10 Minutes …

Tip us?

PeterGuru
Old
(Last edited by PeterGuru; 12th July 2012 at 01:50 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1147

DONATE TO ME
Tutorial [HOW TO] How to Flash a New ROM & Install all APPS in 10 Minutes …

How would you feel if you could make a Nandroid backup, wipe your device clean, flash a new ROM, restore all your personal apps (with settings, SMS messages, and call log intact), all in about 10 minutes?

Too good to be true? After all, you probably remember what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Normally you shouldn’t believe it. In this case, though, it’s real, and it works! Many people in the DIET ICS ROM thread have already tried it, with amazing success.

As always, there’s a caveat. You perform the following procedures at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any damage, frustration, anger, sadness, or suicides that may result from your decision to implement this process.

CAUTION: This method of data recovery will work under a wide variety of situations; however, you must consider the following:

1) When going from a stock or stock-based ROM to another stock or stock-based ROM, this method should work very well. It doesn’t matter if it’s the same ROM as long as both are based on a stock ROM.

2) When going from a stock or stock-based ROM to an AOSP-based ROM, such as CM or AOKP, this method may/will not work. Similarly, when going from an AOSP-based ROM to a stock or stock-based ROM, this method may/will not work.

Use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern as to whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1. Boot into Recovery
2. Make a Nandroid backup
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Wipe cache partition
5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
6. Flash ROM
7. DO NOT REBOOT – STAY IN RECOVERY
8. Select backup and restore
9. Select advanced restore
10. Select the Nandroid backup you made above
11. Select Restore data
12. Select Yes – Restore data
13. WAIT!
14. REBOOT

If all goes according to plan, you will arrive at your home screen with all apps in place, and with all settings intact, including stored text messages, and your call log.

Shockingly easy, isn’t it? After all, it is ALWAYS suggested that you do a Nandroid before you flash any new ROM, so this procedure will ALWAYS have you completely up-to-date.

Okay, you can hit the thanks button now.

Peter
(formerly PeterHTC)
MODEL: ....OnePlus One (Global)
VERSION: ..A0001 (64GB Sandstone)
RECOVERY: .TWRP v2.7.1.0
ANDROID: ..4.4.4
ROM/BUILD: CM11-20140821-NIGHTLY-bacon
KERNEL: ...3.4.0-g41804e5
RADIO: ....M8974AAAAANPZM-1

"Science will eventually answer ALL questions, thus ending religion's wretched grasp on humanity."
The Following 263 Users Say Thank You to PeterGuru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lessthanzach
Old
Thanks Meter 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGuru View Post
How would you feel if you could make a Nandroid backup, wipe your device clean, flash a new ROM, restore all your personal apps (with settings, SMS messages, and call log intact), all in about 10 minutes?

Too good to be true? After all, you probably remember what they say about things that sound too good to be true. Normally you shouldn’t believe it. In this case, though, it’s real, and it works! Many people in the DIET ICS ROM thread have already tried it, with amazing success.

As always, there’s a caveat. You perform the following procedures at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for any damage, frustration, anger, sadness, or suicides that may result from your decision to implement this process.

This method works “perfectly” if you’re upgrading an existing ROM. However, I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work equally well even if you’re coming from another ROM. Either way, use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1.Boot into Recovery
2.Make a Nandroid backup
3.Wipe data/factory reset
4.Wipe cache partition
5.Wipe Dalvik Cache
6.Flash ROM
7.DO NOT REBOOT – STAY IN RECOVERY
8.Select backup and restore
9.Select advanced restore
10.Select the Nandroid backup you made above
11.Select Restore data
12.Select Yes – Restore data
13.WAIT!
14.REBOOT

If all goes according to plan, you will arrive at your home screen with all apps in place, and with all settings intact, including stored text messages, and your call log.

Shockingly easy, isn’t it? After all, it is ALWAYS suggested that you do a Nandroid before you flash any new ROM, so this procedure will ALWAYS have you completely up-to-date.

Peter
(formerly PeterHTC)
Good to see you here from the one x. I'm glad to be back on Sammy. One x just had too many bugs for me and no memory card was a deal breaker.
This tutorial seems legit, I'm just concerned that doing this could overwrite mods the rom developer implements and cause issues. Any response to that concern?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Go Here and make a difference!

Do it for Emily and Joe!

Task650 AOKP'd Galaxy SIII

Hit my "Thanks" if I helped you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lessthanzach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RubenRybnik
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Usually use Titanium Backup myself, so I can selectively select which apps to restore with data. If you're going from a stock based ROM( stock modified ) to AOSP ( CM, AOKP, or any of their kangs ) then I don't think I'd recommend this shotgun method of restoring. However Stock -> Stock this is very fast and shouldn't cause any issues.

About mods, not sure, most mods are going to be in /system so those should be fine, however anything themed will be overwritten I believe. ( CWM wipes and restores, not an additive restore correct? )

AT&T Samsung Galaxy III
Current ROM: CS Rom

XDA Gallery - Chrome Extension
The Following User Says Thank You to RubenRybnik For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeterGuru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1147

DONATE TO ME
Default I completely agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenRybnik View Post
Usually use Titanium Backup myself, so I can selectively select which apps to restore with data. If you're going from a stock based ROM( stock modified ) to AOSP ( CM, AOKP, or any of their kangs ) then I don't think I'd recommend this shotgun method of restoring. However Stock -> Stock this is very fast and shouldn't cause any issues.
Yes, Titanium has the advantage of allowing you to selectively restore apps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenRybnik View Post
About mods, not sure, most mods are going to be in /system so those should be fine, however anything themed will be overwritten I believe. ( CWM wipes and restores, not an additive restore correct? )
I completely agree. If you're sticking with a stock-based ROM, or up-dating almost ANY existing ROM, then this method should work just fine; however, like you said, I would not recommend it if going from stock to AOSP, or vice versa.

I would also agree concerning the mods, which are almost always in /system, and aren't the theme files anywhere BUT in the data folder? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter

"Science will eventually answer ALL questions, thus ending religion's wretched grasp on humanity."
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterGuru For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PeterGuru
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1147

DONATE TO ME
Default Same here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanzach View Post
Good to see you here from the one x. I'm glad to be back on Sammy. One x just had too many bugs for me and no memory card was a deal breaker.
This tutorial seems legit, I'm just concerned that doing this could overwrite mods the rom developer implements and cause issues. Any response to that concern?

I would have to agree. I had far too many little glitches with my ONE X and ONE XL that were just too annoying. So far I could not be happier with the S3.

Peter

CZ Eddie
Old
Thanks Meter 946

DONATE TO ME
Good tip, Peter. I never knew about that one and it will come in handy for me!

Am I the only one who also formats /system in Recovery?
TMO Galaxy Note 3 on ATT unlimited data plan

• bri315317's Dynamic Kat 4.4.2 ROM
  • imoseyon's LeanKernel

• Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket
  • Samsung Infuse
  • HTC Inspire

**** Check out my how-to DIY kickstand case!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52585717
**** Visit my XDA thread to help get APT-X High Definition Bluetooth Audio working in AOSP ROM's!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2531440

Yze
Old
Thanks Meter 54
thank you for this! im jumping from stock to diet ics and this tip helped a lot.

im also coming from about a months use of HTC One X. its only been one day with this sg3 and i already prefer it over the htc one x.

P8TRIOT
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Is ROM Manager still advisable or did Koush move on and it is an abandoned project like some of the reviews suggest in the Google Play store? I used to use this to flash and manage my NANDROID's and it was super easy.

lessthanzach
Old
Thanks Meter 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by P8TRIOT View Post
Is ROM Manager still advisable or did Koush move on and it is an abandoned project like some of the reviews suggest in the Google Play store? I used to use this to flash and manage my NANDROID's and it was super easy.
I just used his Rom manager to flash the AT&T recovery and it works great.

Go Here and make a difference!

Do it for Emily and Joe!

Task650 AOKP'd Galaxy SIII

Hit my "Thanks" if I helped you
The Following User Says Thank You to lessthanzach For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

P8TRIOT
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGuru View Post

This method works “perfectly” if you’re upgrading an existing ROM. However, I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work equally well even if you’re coming from another ROM. Either way, use common sense, and always follow instructions provided by the ROM Developer.

This method also removes any concern whether or not you need to wipe because the process involves doing a full wipe, which only adds about 30 seconds to the procedure.

Here we go …

1. Boot into Recovery
2. Make a Nandroid backup
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Wipe cache partition
5. Wipe Dalvik Cache
6. Flash ROM
7. DO NOT REBOOT – STAY IN RECOVERY
8. Select backup and restore
9. Select advanced restore
10. Select the Nandroid backup you made above
11. Select Restore data
12. Select Yes – Restore data
13. WAIT!
14. REBOOT

Peter
(formerly PeterHTC)
When I had my old Droid X2 (MB870), this is the method I used all the time, and it was very simple and straightforward, if I am understanding you correctly, this method is conditional in that you have to be coming from an existing flashed ROM? So for instance I just rooted yesterday through Odin but am still on stock, this method wouldn't work for me? It would be awesome if this could be utilized universally for what ever (rooted state), is this in fact the case or what exactly is the specific condition if any?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P8TRIOT For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]