Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,698 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Root] [Guide] Obtain root via towelroot

Tip us?

derpy-net
Old
(Last edited by derpy-net; 18th June 2014 at 04:45 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Root] [Guide] Obtain root via towelroot

Getting root on the stock 4.1.2 rom is very simple with towelroot.

Steps:

[1] Go to http://towelroot.com/ on your Relay and click the picture in the middle of the page, it will download an apk to your device.

[2] Install the apk you just download (you may have to allow unknown sources in settings)

[3] Click the make it rain button and wait 15 seconds. Your device will now reboot

[4] You are now rooted!

[5] Optional: Go to the Play Store or this thread and download the latest version of SuperSU.

[6] Optional: Launch the SuperSU app and follow the instructions there. If you do not have a custom recovery installed, do not choose that option for installation.

If you are still having trouble, follow this video. It is for the S5, but it is done exactly the same way!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q5gZLkvuyE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derpy-net For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zombeezy
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I was brain-farting after a long day at work and I just couldn't get the Relay rooted using Odin. Switched ports, different cables, CWM, TWRP, side-load whatever .... towelroot got me rooted in two minutes. Would have been 1 minute but I didn't open it after downloading, so I had to do it again to "make it rain".

Of course, then I found out I was not entering download mode correctly using home key+vol down key+pwr key - guess I was so used to hold both vol up and vol down at same time on other phone. So .... didn't need it in the long run, but saved me some time and I donated to developer as well.

paul.siu
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you.

I have successfully obtain root and install Super SU using the instructions.

Paul