Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,020 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

OpenVPN streaming media services through HTC ONE M7

Tip us?

techjohnny
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default OpenVPN streaming media services through HTC ONE M7

I've successfully installed LinxuonAndroid to host my website that connects to my VPN at work and is redirected to my T-Mobile phone. It really works great. One unexplained issue is that my phone is able to start services such as Yahoo sports, but when opening any media services, e.g., Pandora, Youtube, or Slacker it hangs and fails to start.

I've verified that the line in the OpenVPN scripts push 'redirect-gateway defl" is what prevents these services from starting, but from a SSH on the Android while connects, I'm successfully able to ping all the internal subnets and external traffic.

If this line is removed, it works fine, but then my website doesn't know where to route to the outside traffic.

The OpenVPN forum is a very low volume forum, so I'm hoping somewhere here can help me out.

Thanks.

gagp2p
Old
Thanks Meter 80
next time here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one/help
You're not allowed to use this picture!

You're not allowed to use this picture!

techjohnny
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by techjohnny View Post
I've successfully installed LinxuonAndroid to host my website that connects to my VPN at work and is redirected to my T-Mobile phone. It really works great. One unexplained issue is that my phone is able to start services such as Yahoo sports, but when opening any media services, e.g., Pandora, Youtube, or Slacker it hangs and fails to start.

I've verified that the line in the OpenVPN scripts push 'redirect-gateway defl" is what prevents these services from starting, but from a SSH on the Android while connects, I'm successfully able to ping all the internal subnets and external traffic.

If this line is removed, it works fine, but then my website doesn't know where to route to the outside traffic.

The OpenVPN forum is a very low volume forum, so I'm hoping somewhere here can help me out.

Thanks.
Solution:

Well by accident, changing the IPTables on the OpenVPN server to forward requests to port other than 80 on the Android device seem to have fixed the problem. My Iptables have a NAT rule forwarding port 7878 to port 80 to the LinuxonAndroid device. The firewall, our Windows 2012 machine, forward port 7878 to port 7878 to the OpenVPN server.

So, while connected to the VPN, there's full connectivity on Android device and all external traffic, i.e., websites, are successfully accessed from outside our network.