Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Having problems trying to root my 2012 Kindle Fire HD ... please help.

OP GameGuru41

17th June 2014, 02:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dover
Thanks Meter: 4

124 posts
More
I won a mint Kindle Fire HD off eBay for cheap because it gives an error when trying to register it with an Amazon account. I knew I could root it and put a custom ROM on it so that is why I bought it. I have rooted and put custom ROMs on about nine original Kindle Fires but I am having problems with this.

I am following the guide [ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version and I am stuck at the point of ROOT STEP 12 where I am to option 15 to root the Kindle. The actual line of Option 15 reads - Reboot The Kindle In To Fastmode <Preferred Mode> and I get this error:

I have tried 16 also to no effect. What am I missing here? The drivers installed properly and it sees the Kindle Fire HD when I plug it in. It said the ADB driver installed, is there a way to verify it?

Should I even be using this guide or is there a better one?
17th June 2014, 03:00 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dover

124 posts
More
Ok I gave up on what they guide said and chose option 20 to Root the kindle fire. It does reboot my kindle twice when it says it is going to but everything on screen is showing it isn't doing what it is supposed to, can't find stuff. Here is a pic.

What am I doing wrong?
17th June 2014, 03:29 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dover

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru41

Ok I gave up on what they guide said and chose option 20 to Root the kindle fire. It does reboot my kindle twice when it says it is going to but everything on screen is showing it isn't doing what it is supposed to, can't find stuff. Here is a pic.

What am I doing wrong?

Anyone please?
17th June 2014, 03:58 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 609

2,229 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Anyone please?

what os version is it running?

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
17th June 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dover

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

what os version is it running?

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response. The System Version is 7.4.9. I have followed both the guides on this forum, using a Windows 7 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop. The kindle fire drivers and ADB drivers install fine, I can browse the SD card of the kindle fire HD from my pc but when I attempt to run the batch files on both computers it says it is unable to find, well, everything. Check out the screen shots. Would I have better luck using the Windows 8 laptop?
17th June 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 27

299 posts
7.4.9 shrunk the /system and other areas in the root of the device so you would not be able to root it and install gapps.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th June 2014, 05:17 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dover

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wire55

7.4.9 shrunk the /system and other areas in the root of the device so you would not be able to root it and install gapps.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wait, got this yesterday off eBay and it was at 7.4.8. I attempted all night to root it using these guides to no avail. I wake up this morning and for some reason it is 7.4.9 even though it isn't registered (I bought it from an auction that says you can't register it because I planned on putting a custom ROM on it anyway). Can I downgrade it? What can I do?
17th June 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 27

299 posts
Quote:

Wait, got this yesterday off eBay and it was at 7.4.8. I attempted all night to root it using these guides to no avail. I wake up this morning and for some reason it is 7.4.9 even though it isn't registered (I bought it from an auction that says you can't register it because I planned on putting a custom ROM on it anyway). Can I downgrade it? What can I do?

Downgrading wont increase the size of /system or other directories in the root of the system.
17th June 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dover

124 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wire55

Downgrading wont increase the size of /system or other directories in the root of the system.

Ok what can I do with this Kindle Fire HD since I will never be able to download from the Amazon App Store?
17th June 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #10  
Flag St.Louis Metro
Thanks Meter: 627

1,141 posts
Donate to Me
More
Prerooted 7.4.9

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53445270

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Red_81; 17th June 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread