Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,310 Members 44,984 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide][I9500]Expand your internal storage from 8GB to 11GB

Tip us?

lch920619x
Old
(Last edited by lch920619x; 3rd September 2013 at 05:26 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Default [Guide][I9500]Expand your internal storage from 8GB to 11GB

Hi there, we all know that our i9500 comes with a 16GB flash chip. However since samsung squeezed in too much bloatware we have only 8.9GB available.

Now we have an official method by Samsung to expand it to be 11.8GB available to the user.

Before proceeding please know that this will erase all your data including your internal storage, so please make a backup first.
And this method works for me as well as many of my friends, however I do not guarantee success and I do not hold any responsibility if your phone bricks,or your dog doesn't like it or whatever problem you may encounter.

We do this by flashing via Odin a Chinese base firmware kit including kernel, radio, rom ,csc, pit and etc. The "pit" file is a partition table file which contains partition information, so the flash chip will be re-partitioned and thus gives us more user space.

The change starts from Chinese ME5 firmware but I would not recommend ME5 version since the bootloader is locked in some sense and will cause some random problems.
I don't recommend MG9 either since the modem gives problem.

So MG1 is our choice.

I9500ZCUCMG1

You can download it from here:
Let me know if you suffer from slow connection, I can try to make a mirror.

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shar...&uk=2250796553

Update I have made a mirror, I included everything except the 2G system img file(due to my internet speed, and the fact that I can't find a free file hosting site for 1.3G file), which you can download easily from sammobile.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/i950...A.zip/download

Now unzip the file and you get these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	6253
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	2228776

These files are to be flashed into your I9500 via Odin in Download mode. The adonis_C.pit file is the partition information file that does the magic. However please don't flash it alone. Repartitioning will erase everything including data, system , internal storage and etc, so if you flash pit alone, your phone won't boot because there is nothing to boot.

I assume you know how to use Odin, so please enter download mode on your I9500, connect it to Odin, and select in Odin the files according to this picture and then press start.

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	6564
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	2228777

Wait for a few minutes and you're good to go! Check if the phone boots and if you get larger storage. If everything is good, you can then flash a custom recovery via Odin, and then flash whatever custom ROM you want.

I believe this will not cause compatibility problems with international ROM since I have flashed WanamLite, Crash, Arrow Rom and got no problems at all. But anyway keep in mind I do not hold any responsibility if your phone bricks,or your dog doesn't like it or whatever problem you may encounter.

Any Q&A please read post #3, I'll keep updating feedbacks from others.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to lch920619x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lch920619x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
screenshot

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1378095897716.jpg
Views:	9552
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2228790  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lch920619x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lch920619x
Old
(Last edited by lch920619x; 3rd September 2013 at 05:48 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Q: I can't flash official ROMs now, what's wrong?
A: That is a known effect, due to the smaller partition size, only C version Chinese official ROMs will fit in. You will not be able to install B version offcial ROMs via Odin anymore. See Post #11 for details.
However custom ROM are not affected, flashing WanamLite, Arrow, Crush, Omega via custom recovery is tested and working perfectly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=11

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Can I flash only the pit file and then custom recovery, and then a custom ROM, i.e. skipping bootloader, modem, and system?
A: well, supposedly it should work, however I have not tried it. Others tried and reported success. See post#38 Thanks for the feedback @Faye Reagan
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=38

What I can confirm is that modem doesn't matter at all, I have flashed tons of modem and there is no single conflict(except for the MG9 fiasco). So you can surely skip the modem if you wish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Will doing this change my Phone model and thus affect warranty?
A: Yes So please be sure you know what you're doing before proceeding.
My guess is that the changing phone model has something to do with the bootloader included, so you may skip the bootloader and keep your own one if you feel more comfortable that way, again I do not know what is the effect of this. Anyway according to post#38 this should be safe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Can I revert to 8.9G data partition?
A: Yes, as reported by @AL_IRAQI in Post #66
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=66

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Does it break dual boot?
A: Yes. The system partition is too small for 2 systems. See Post #52
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=52

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:will this work for I9505?
A: No. While I do believe same magic will be there for i9505 sonner or later, this is for now for I9500 ONLY.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lch920619x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shamps
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by lch920619x View Post
screenshot

Hi. Thanks for this info. Would love the extra space. Just a couple of quick questions.

Will it revert the phone back to stock fully??

Will it be possible to root and install custom roms later on?

And lastly does it effect the possibility to unroot and revert to official status if the phone is required to he returned for repairs??

Thanks in advance!!

hypergamer1231
Old
Thanks Meter 536
what if i flash the pit file only and later install omega using philz will it help
XPERIA Z1 C6902

My Work

1) [I9100g● KK 4.4.2] [24.04 RC-03] [SOKP》》SONIC OPEN KANG PROJECT][AIO][Weekly Builds] - http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...4-4-2-t2729696

2) [ROM][08MAY2014][WEEKLY BUILDS][4.4.2] Vanir-AOSP | Fast as Hell - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52496710

THE DEVS ARE A BOON TO OUR DEVICES PLEASE DONT DISRESPECT THEM AND NEVER ASK FOR ETA

If I helped press thx.....

lch920619x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamps View Post
Hi. Thanks for this info. Would love the extra space. Just a couple of quick questions.

Will it revert the phone back to stock fully??

Will it be possible to root and install custom roms later on?

And lastly does it effect the possibility to unroot and revert to official status if the phone is required to he returned for repairs??

Thanks in advance!!

1 , Yes your phone will be completely stock , which means you lose anything stored in your phone so please do make backup.

2, You can flash a custom recovery and do whatever you want after the process. As I mentioned I don't encounter any compatibility issues despite the Chinese base; but there is no guarantee.

3, Afaik there is no way to reset the binary counter in your S4 so by right warranty is lose if you flash a custom firmware and there's no way to revert.

The Following User Says Thank You to lch920619x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lch920619x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypergamer1231 View Post
what if i flash the pit file only and later install omega using philz will it help
I have not tried and I would not recommend doing that. The kit comes together with a reason I believe...

Anyway I suppose it doesn't save you that much time, the flashing process is rather fast.

But if you're brave enough you can try.

The Following User Says Thank You to lch920619x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shamps
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Quote:
1 , Yes your phone will be completely stock , which means you lose anything stored in your phone so please do make backup.

2, You can flash a custom recovery and do whatever you want after the process. As I mentioned I don't encounter any compatibility issues despite the Chinese base; but there is no guarantee.

3, Afaik there is no way to reset the binary counter in your S4 so by right warranty is lose if you flash a custom firmware and there's no way to revert.

Great. Actually I know that the binary country can't be reset on my S4." I think you can still get the phone status in about device" under settings to official(I hope I am not mistaken).

Cheers!!

hypergamer1231
Old
Thanks Meter 536
Quote:
I have not tried and I would not recommend doing that. The kit comes together with a reason I believe...

Anyway I suppose it doesn't save you that much time, the flashing process is rather fast.

But if you're brave enough you can try.

hmmm the only reason i asked was the dload speed here is 60kbps so 7 hrs to dload this rom!!!!!!!
XPERIA Z1 C6902

My Work

1) [I9100g● KK 4.4.2] [24.04 RC-03] [SOKP》》SONIC OPEN KANG PROJECT][AIO][Weekly Builds] - http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...4-4-2-t2729696

2) [ROM][08MAY2014][WEEKLY BUILDS][4.4.2] Vanir-AOSP | Fast as Hell - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52496710

THE DEVS ARE A BOON TO OUR DEVICES PLEASE DONT DISRESPECT THEM AND NEVER ASK FOR ETA

If I helped press thx.....

lch920619x
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamps View Post
Great. Actually I know that the binary country can't be reset on my S4." I think you can still get the phone status in about device" under settings to official(I hope I am not mistaken).

Cheers!!

Yes it's still shown as official, but your product name will become i9500CHN which means doing so totally converts your phone into a Chinese model. You can revert to your country model if you have the KIT for your country.

My guess is the change of product model is due to bootloader. So maybe you can try to skip flashing the bootloader and see what happens... Again do it at your own risk...

I don't care abt warranty stuff so I just flashed everything and i am happy now.