Post Reply

[Q] Should I protect my phone ?

OP McGuigew

18th June 2014, 10:09 AM   |  #1  
McGuigew's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Hi,

I saw Avast for android available on the market, this raised questions in my mind :
- is there a real menace for android phones ?
- if so, what is the best app to protect my phone ?
- what is the cost regarding battery consumption ?

Thanks XDAers
19th June 2014, 08:52 AM   |  #2  
dalanik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 204
 
1,058 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuigew

Hi,

I saw Avast for android available on the market, this raised questions in my mind :
- is there a real menace for android phones ?
- if so, what is the best app to protect my phone ?
- what is the cost regarding battery consumption ?

Thanks XDAers

I don't think there is a need for AV software on Android (yet). If you install all your apps from Google Play, there's no chance to get a virus... maybe some software that pops up ads but you should always read reviews before installing....
19th June 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #3  
TheATHEiST's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 893
 
4,093 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalanik

I don't think there is a need for AV software on Android (yet). If you install all your apps from Google Play, there's no chance to get a virus... maybe some software that pops up ads but you should always read reviews before installing....


Absolute drivel.

There is a big need and yes you can get malware from Google play where on earth have you been??


@ OP

I would recommend ESET Mobile Security and also Xprivacy.
19th June 2014, 10:13 AM   |  #4  
dalanik's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 204
 
1,058 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheATHEiST

Absolute drivel.

There is a big need and yes you can get malware from Google play where on earth have you been??


@ OP

I would recommend ESET Mobile Security and also Xprivacy.

Well I have never met anyone who got a virus on Android nor have I had one on multiple devices for several years... but if you want to slow your phone by installing AV, you're welcome....

I also use Xprivacy, but that is not AV....
19th June 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #5  
TheATHEiST's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 893
 
4,093 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalanik

Well I have never met anyone who got a virus on Android nor have I had one on multiple devices for several years... but if you want to slow your phone by installing AV, you're welcome....

I also use Xprivacy, but that is not AV....

Well firstly I'm not talking about virus, I'm talking about malware and there is plenty of it in various different forms.

Secondly, At what point did I say XPrivacy is a AV?
19th June 2014, 12:01 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 22
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Slowing down note 2 is not so easy.
I'm using avast from day one and I didn't notice any slowdown. I have about 1gb ram used all the time. The phone is running smoth. I have stock rom.

Sent from my GT-N7100
Last edited by note2nooby; 19th June 2014 at 12:29 PM.
19th June 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #7  
McGuigew's Avatar
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
81 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
More
Interesting debate, I think I will use Xprivacy as advised but no AV... Thanks everyone

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note II Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank