Post Reply

No KitKat Update? SOLVED

OP Mon431

20th June 2014, 03:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.
20th June 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #2  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Illinois
Thanks Meter: 568
 
1,023 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon431

I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.

The build number has nothing to do with it. This would not be the first time Verizon has had the wrong build number in one of these PDF documents. People aren't receiving the update because it's not rolling out yet. You can read in the software update instructions PDF linked below that users can manually update starting today if they do it over WiFi. So the normal OTA automatic roll out likely has not begun yet.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/s...ns-6-19-14.pdf
20th June 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68

The build number has nothing to do with it. This would not be the first time Verizon has had the wrong build number in one of these PDF documents. People aren't receiving the update because it's not rolling out yet. You can read in the software update instructions PDF linked below that users can manually update starting today if they do it over WiFi. So the normal OTA automatic roll out likely has not begun yet.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/s...ns-6-19-14.pdf

Oh okay, thanks. It was just a thought
20th June 2014, 04:15 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Central PA
Thanks Meter: 126
 
532 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon431

Oh okay, thanks. It was just a thought

Has anyone on stock tried to dl the update over wifi?
20th June 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #5  
SlimSnoopOS's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,982
 
5,525 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon431

I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.

No. Bold emphasis is mine. Verizon simply hasn't pushed the update out. It has been 24 hours since the PDF was uploaded. Verizon has a tendency to leave typos in their PDFs. They have done so at least twice since the S3 was released. Verizon is not that ignorant to leave the build number as VRUCNC1.

To be even more technical, let's take it to AOSP names. Our "updated" PDF still reads "JSS15R" for the AOSP name, which is JellyBean 4.3. KitKat 4.4.2 is named "KOT49H" in AOSP. Logic states, this is a typo. Here's the Factory Images for Nexus devices, to use as a reference for AOSP names per OS.

Edit: Ninja'd by a country mile haha
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #6  
landshark68's Avatar
Senior Member
Illinois
Thanks Meter: 568
 
1,023 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS

Edit: Ninja'd by a country mile haha

The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2014, 09:16 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Update to 4.4.2 successful for me
I, too, was fooled by the NC1 update. What I forgot to do, which Tech Support (live chat) reminded me, was to check for an additional software update after the NC1 update. Sure enough, the 4.4.2 update was waiting to be downloaded and installed. The 4.4.2 baseband version/build number are I535OYUDNE1.

Oh--and it's rootable using Towelroot! Worked like a charm for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpridmore816@gmail.com For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st June 2014, 03:18 AM   |  #8  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
41 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpridmore816@gmail.com

I, too, was fooled by the NC1 update. What I forgot to do, which Tech Support (live chat) reminded me, was to check for an additional software update after the NC1 update. Sure enough, the 4.4.2 update was waiting to be downloaded and installed. The 4.4.2 baseband version/build number are I535OYUDNE1.

Oh--and it's rootable using Towelroot! Worked like a charm for me.

Did it trip the counter?
21st June 2014, 03:23 AM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
7 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon431

Did it trip the counter?

Not at all. I've attached a screenshot from Triangle Away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-20-21-20-11.png
Views:	138
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	2809308  

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon Galaxy S III Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank