Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 43,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No KitKat Update? SOLVED

Tip us?

Mon431
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default No KitKat Update? SOLVED

I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon431 View Post
I think I figured out why people aren't receiving the update on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3.

If you all remember, the previous update (which allowed roaming in Canada) had a build number of JSS15J.I535VRUCNC1. That is the exact same build number for the update that brings us to Android 4.4.2. I am assuming that since the previous update has the same build number, when we check for updates, Verizon thinks we are on the latest update. This is just a guess that I thought I should have some light shed on.
The build number has nothing to do with it. This would not be the first time Verizon has had the wrong build number in one of these PDF documents. People aren't receiving the update because it's not rolling out yet. You can read in the software update instructions PDF linked below that users can manually update starting today if they do it over WiFi. So the normal OTA automatic roll out likely has not begun yet.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/s...ns-6-19-14.pdf
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you

Mon431
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
The build number has nothing to do with it. This would not be the first time Verizon has had the wrong build number in one of these PDF documents. People aren't receiving the update because it's not rolling out yet. You can read in the software update instructions PDF linked below that users can manually update starting today if they do it over WiFi. So the normal OTA automatic roll out likely has not begun yet.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/s...ns-6-19-14.pdf
Oh okay, thanks. It was just a thought

capt730
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Oh okay, thanks. It was just a thought
Has anyone on stock tried to dl the update over wifi?

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1923
Quote:

No. Bold emphasis is mine. Verizon simply hasn't pushed the update out. It has been 24 hours since the PDF was uploaded. Verizon has a tendency to leave typos in their PDFs. They have done so at least twice since the S3 was released. Verizon is not that ignorant to leave the build number as VRUCNC1.

To be even more technical, let's take it to AOSP names. Our "updated" PDF still reads "JSS15R" for the AOSP name, which is JellyBean 4.3. KitKat 4.4.2 is named "KOT49H" in AOSP. Logic states, this is a typo. Here's the Factory Images for Nexus devices, to use as a reference for AOSP names per OS.

Edit: Ninja'd by a country mile haha
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable
The Following User Says Thank You to SlimSnoopOS For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
Edit: Ninja'd by a country mile haha
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mpridmore816@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Update to 4.4.2 successful for me

I, too, was fooled by the NC1 update. What I forgot to do, which Tech Support (live chat) reminded me, was to check for an additional software update after the NC1 update. Sure enough, the 4.4.2 update was waiting to be downloaded and installed. The 4.4.2 baseband version/build number are I535OYUDNE1.

Oh--and it's rootable using Towelroot! Worked like a charm for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpridmore816@gmail.com For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mon431
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpridmore816@gmail.com View Post
I, too, was fooled by the NC1 update. What I forgot to do, which Tech Support (live chat) reminded me, was to check for an additional software update after the NC1 update. Sure enough, the 4.4.2 update was waiting to be downloaded and installed. The 4.4.2 baseband version/build number are I535OYUDNE1.

Oh--and it's rootable using Towelroot! Worked like a charm for me.
Did it trip the counter?

mpridmore816@gmail.com
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Did it trip the counter?
Not at all. I've attached a screenshot from Triangle Away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-20-21-20-11.png
Views:	134
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	2809308