Android 5.0.2 and New Factory Images For Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi) Available

Android 5.0 is has been publicly available since early November, and the … more

Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

HTC in general!

OP Raymondlikesroot

19th June 2014, 02:48 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

264 posts
More
Hey guys,

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader? Because I'm thinking about getting an htc device but I got a s4 and it's bootloader got locked down pretty much instantly :/
19th June 2014, 04:36 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 2,167

2,087 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlikesroot

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader?

Probably.
20th June 2014, 11:34 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 48

302 posts
Many people buy these phones because the boot loader can be unlocked and HTC know this. I doubt they'd jeopardise sales by locking it down. I would not buy any device that is locked down or proprietary, one reason I will never ever own an apple device.
20th June 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #4  
Flag Somewhere in The Coal Capital Of India-Dhanbad
Thanks Meter: 254

238 posts
More
You see htc and nexus devices have future but samsung,lg etc doesnot.Because there are alot of custom roms available for htc devices,there development is awesome but ssamsung etc doesnot have that strong development.I have seen htc's development from incredible days.
20th June 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #5  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag NSA Black Site Whiskey Tango Foxtrot One Niner
Thanks Meter: 1,349

2,461 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondlikesroot

Hey guys,

Just Overall, do you think htc devices will continue to have an unlocked bootloader? Because I'm thinking about getting an htc device but I got a s4 and it's bootloader got locked down pretty much instantly :/

At some point they will lock them down & if you want it unlocked, it will be a dev or GPe model only. To say that they will keep them unlockable because they sell a lot for that reason, well, that's just not true. Probably less than 1% of TOTAL users ever unlock their bootloader, or even root their devices. Given HTC's marketshare, if everyone that unlocked their HTC bootloader, stopped buying HTC devices, that would be probably less than 0.05% of the market, probably much less. Meanwhile there are corporations, organizations & government bodies that want more secure devices, that also buy more devices than all the bootloader unlockers combined.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread