[Q] SM-N900T 4.4.2, rooted, region free, still region locked

OP jbcholdings

21st June 2014, 04:54 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
I have a T-Mobile USA SM-N900T currently running [ROM][KERNEL][4.4.2-NE4][SM-N9005]CivZ_FlexKat_Rev3.5

The ROM is listed as "region free" however when I attempt to insert one2free Hong Kong prepaid SIM-card I got a 'network locked sim card inserted' error?

I can't use "Region Lock Away" as it's no-longer functional on 4.4.2 - and I can't downgrade to 4.3 because I assume my bootloader has already been upgraded.

Any solution here?

Shouldn't a "region free" ROM no longer enforce the region lock?
21st June 2014, 05:29 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bakersfield, California
Thanks Meter: 2,682

4,771 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up re: region lock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcholdings

I have a T-Mobile USA SM-N900T currently running [ROM][KERNEL][4.4.2-NE4][SM-N9005]CivZ_FlexKat_Rev3.5

The ROM is listed as "region free" however when I attempt to insert one2free Hong Kong prepaid SIM-card I got a 'network locked sim card inserted' error?

I can't use "Region Lock Away" as it's no-longer functional on 4.4.2 - and I can't downgrade to 4.3 because I assume my bootloader has already been upgraded.

Any solution here?

Check out this rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2487425
It is region free but it's a N9005 custom rom and it works fine with a N900T Note 3
phone. The only thing which it will lack is wifi calling.

After flashing the rom you will need to flash the wifi/nfc/bluetooth fix in recovery
in order to get the wifi working. (not wifi calling!)

Here is the link to the wifi/nfc/bluetooth fix zip file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Flashable.zip

Good luck!
Last edited by Misterjunky; 21st June 2014 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterjunky For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky

Check out this rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2487425
It is region free but it's a N9005 custom rom and it works fine with a N900T Note 3
phone. The only thing which it will lack is wifi calling.

After flashing the rom you will need to flash the wifi/nfc/bluetooth fix in recovery
in order to get the wifi working. (not wifi calling!)

Here is the link to the wifi/nfc/bluetooth fix zip file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Flashable.zip

Good luck!

Same results with this ROM Boots to a "Enter SIM unlock key", and "Network locked SIM inserted" screen.

I don't understand - as my understanding was the region-lock was only for the INITIAL activation of the phone in it's home market, IE it was activated at some point in the US with a US sim!?

It would figure now that it has been rooted/ROM replaced it wouldn't region lock again?

The phone did have a black-listed IMEI - but worked on roaming here with my US sim prior to porting the number to Google Voice smh
Last edited by jbcholdings; 22nd June 2014 at 04:15 AM.
22nd June 2014, 01:16 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 76

1,059 posts
More
Quote:

Same results with this ROM Boots to a "Enter SIM unlock key", and "Network locked SIM inserted" screen.

I don't understand - as my understanding was the region-lock was only for the INITIAL activation of the phone in it's home market, IE it was activated at some point in the US with a US sim!?

It would figure now that it has been rooted/ROM replaced it wouldn't region lock again?

The phone did have a black-listed IMEI - but worked on roaming here with my US sim prior to porting the number to Google Voice smh

region free and sim lock are 2 different things.
sounds like you need the sim unlock code

I used freeunlocks.com,you have to do a trialpay thing but there may be one that suits your needs?
cost me just under 5 and I got 4 unlock codes,network,provider,sub-provider and defreeze.

my phone is now sim unlocked and sim unlock also does region lock
22nd June 2014, 01:51 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
Quote:

Any solution here?

Hi,
I had the same problem with my European Note 3 when going in Israel.
The solution was to unlock the phone by using a European sim and calling somebody (for instance your voicemail) for 5 minutes or more.
Then it was unlocked...
Try it if you have an American Sim somewhere...
Hope it will help...
The Following User Says Thank You to RaphaelBEN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 09:41 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelBEN

Hi,
I had the same problem with my European Note 3 when going in Israel.
The solution was to unlock the phone by using a European sim and calling somebody (for instance your voicemail) for 5 minutes or more.
Then it was unlocked...
Try it if you have an American Sim somewhere...
Hope it will help...

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

I went to a Samsung Service Center (in Hong Kong), and they told me I would have to get my "American Carrier" to unlock the phone and that they could not help me.

As I am not a customer of T-Mobile USA anymore I don't think there is much I can do- as I don't think they will help me over the phone or would have any idea what to do at a normal T-Mobile USA store.

I might try to find an American Pre-paid SIM and try that option.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread