FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HOW-TO] Repartitioning the NC back to 1GB/data, 5GB/media

482 posts
Thanks Meter: 319

By DeanGibson, Senior Member on 24th May 2011, 06:15 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Please do not quote this message. When information in this message changes, I can change this message, but not the quoted copies.

As many of you know, the newer Nook Colors come with a partitioning that allows 5GB of space (/data -- ext3 partition) for apps and B&N books/etc, and 1GB of space (/media -- FAT32 patition) for user side-loaded content. The older Nooks had the reverse: 1GB for /data, and 5GB for /media.

I first documented a manual process for reverting the newer B&N partitioning back to the old partitioning, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=110 Upon several requests, I have automated it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=129

Someone in that thread requested that I repost the information here, so that it could be "pinned". Therefore, I have reproduced and expanded that information here (I now regard the above thread as dead for this purpose).

Caveats:
  • You must have ClockworkRecovery installed on the Nook Color, or on a bootable SD card which accesses the Nook.
  • You must backup everything you wish to save, or archive it on the B&N site, because this will clear all your data on the device:
    • /data partition (0p6)
    • /cache partition (0p7)
    • /media partition (0p8)
  • The following partitions will not be touched:
    • /boot partition (0p1)
    • /rom (configuration) partition (0p2)
    • (hidden) recovery partition (0p3)
    • /system (whichever operating system you have) partition (0p5)
  • If you have added additional partitions (eg, via "internal dual boot": http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=959461 -- unlikely, given an existing 5GB/data partition), you must uninstall/remove them first.
  • The usual non-warranties apply.
The following are installed in the usual manner using ClockworkRecovery installs.
  1. Download and copy to an SDcard, ONE of the following repartitioning install packages:
    1. To use B&N v1.1 "old" 1GB "/data", 5+GB "/media" partitioning: http://www.mailpen.com/download/nook...1GBdata-v1.zip
    2. To use custom 1.96GB "/data", 4+GB "/media" partitioning: http://www.mailpen.com/download/nook...2GBdata-v1.zip
    3. To use B&N v1.2 "new" 5+GB "/data", 1GB "/media" partitioning: http://www.mailpen.com/download/nook...5GBdata-v1.zip
  2. Also download and copy to an SDcard, the following install package: http://www.mailpen.com/download/nook...matData-v1.zip
  3. Boot into ClockworkRecovery with the above SDcard inserted in the Nook Color.
  4. Install the repartition package from the SDcard, to repartition /data (0p6), /cache (0p7), and /media (0p8).
  5. Mandatory REBOOT into ClockworkRecovery.
  6. Install the reformat package from the SDcard, to reformat (and clear) /data (0p6), /cache (0p7), and /media (0p8).
  7. If you backed up the B&N "/data" partition, then you should be able to restore and continue without reregistering, but don't count on it (you may have to reregister).
The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to DeanGibson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DeanGibson Ad-Free

24th May 2011, 06:50 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Hi DeanGibson, so you're basically indicating that by following this guide I won't have any problem rooting the new NC currently being sold?

I ask this because by reading different threads previously I had the impression that it's wasn't very clear if there would be issues or not with the new models.

I'm planning to buy a new one and this can make a big difference (going to another tablet brand or buying a new NC) if I'm confident that I'd be able to root it.

Thanks in advance.
24th May 2011, 06:51 PM |#3  
Flag Biel
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Imho this should be made sticky in order to avoid confusion of new NC owners. Also it has been reported to work great. I will rely on this as soon as my NC finally gets delivered. Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
24th May 2011, 06:58 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Exclamation Read carefully ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaunion

Hi DeanGibson, so you're basically indicating that by following this guide I won't have any problem rooting the new NC currently being sold?

The above repartitioning does not root the NC. In fact, you must have either:
  • rooted the NC first, and then installed "RomManager" (which requires root privileges and includes ClockworkRecovery) before doing the repartitioning; or
  • have an external SDcard which accomplishes the same thing.
This thread does not document that process; there are many other threads that do so.

The process I document is designed for the new models.
24th May 2011, 07:08 PM |#5  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 188

More
There was at least one report of a B&N staff member saying they can repartition new NCs to the old set-up if requested. Can anyone confirm it?
24th May 2011, 07:50 PM |#6  
Flag Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks Meter: 579

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosaur

There was at least one report of a B&N staff member saying they can repartition new NCs to the old set-up if requested. Can anyone confirm it?

I've heard this, waiting for someone or people to confirm it.
24th May 2011, 08:28 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Question And waiting, and waiting ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosaur

This was suggested by one person:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...1031812#M45946

Hardly a definitive statement, which was denied two posts later by a B&N store employee.
24th May 2011, 09:21 PM |#8  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 188

More
Well, having dealt with customer service (or tech support, actually), I suppose I would take the store employee's word over the alleged phone conversation :/ Pretty sure I saw someone on XDA saying they'd heard the same thing from a store employee, but again it's all what-ifs and hearsay--I haven't seen anyone say, "I went to B&N and they repartitioned my device," or "I went to B&N and they would not repartition my device."
24th May 2011, 09:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I can confirm this method has worked for me on my NC. I also did a restore of my ManualNooter'd backup after running the second formatter zip. B&N settings menus shows that the available sideload storage is at 5.23GB.

I'm going to see if I can now properly load a Cyanogen build onto my NC's eMMC that will actually fully boot now.

Thanks a ton!

Edit: It took! I just got Cyanogen to flash to the eMMC for the first time successfully since I first got my Nook. Clockwork is also no longer complaining about dealing with /data any longer either. Kudos!
24th May 2011, 10:05 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have an unopened 2011 series, blue-dotted nook. Several hours ago, after reading the post about repartitioning at the store, I went to the Barnes and Noble where it was purchased and was assured, emphatically, that the Nook CANNOT be repartitioned at the store to the older partition scheme.

Off I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a 2010 series Nook (no blue dot). Wal-Mart had some of both series in stock.

One of the Nooks must be returned. I'm actually buying the Nook to play around with rooting, but have never rooted a Nook. So I guess starting with the old partitioning would be wiser for a beginner? I can't actually open it to verify what's on the 2010 series Nook for another week (gift).
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavisitor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdavisitor Ad-Free
24th May 2011, 10:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavisitor

I have an unopened 2011 series, blue-dotted nook. Several hours ago, after reading the post about repartitioning at the store, I went to the Barnes and Noble where it was purchased and was assured, emphatically, that the Nook CANNOT be repartitioned at the store to the older partition scheme.

Off I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a 2010 series Nook (no blue dot). Wal-Mart had some of both series in stock.

One of the Nooks must be returned. I'm actually buying the Nook to play around with rooting, but have never rooted a Nook. So I guess starting with the old partitioning would be wiser for a beginner? I can't actually open it to verify what's on the 2010 series Nook for another week (gift).

rooting (emmc) the original partition NookColor is very simple to do . BTW both versions can run on SD roms.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)