OP DeanGibson

24th May 2011, 07:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 213

320 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please do not quote this message. When information in this message changes, I can change this message, but not the quoted copies.

As many of you know, the newer Nook Colors come with a partitioning that allows 5GB of space (/data -- ext3 partition) for apps and B&N books/etc, and 1GB of space (/media -- FAT32 patition) for user side-loaded content. The older Nooks had the reverse: 1GB for /data, and 5GB for /media.

I first documented a manual process for reverting the newer B&N partitioning back to the old partitioning, here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=110 Upon several requests, I have automated it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=129

Someone in that thread requested that I repost the information here, so that it could be "pinned". Therefore, I have reproduced and expanded that information here (I now regard the above thread as dead for this purpose).

Caveats:
  • You must have ClockworkRecovery installed on the Nook Color, or on a bootable SD card which accesses the Nook.
  • You must backup everything you wish to save, or archive it on the B&N site, because this will clear all your data on the device:
    • /data partition (0p6)
    • /cache partition (0p7)
    • /media partition (0p8)
  • The following partitions will not be touched:
    • /boot partition (0p1)
    • /rom (configuration) partition (0p2)
    • (hidden) recovery partition (0p3)
    • /system (whichever operating system you have) partition (0p5)
  • If you have added additional partitions (eg, via "internal dual boot": http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=959461 -- unlikely, given an existing 5GB/data partition), you must uninstall/remove them first.
  • The usual non-warranties apply.
The following are installed in the usual manner using ClockworkRecovery installs.
  1. Download and copy to an SDcard, ONE of the following repartitioning install packages:
    1. To use B&N v1.1 "old" 1GB "/data", 5+GB "/media" partitioning: http://www.mailpen.com/download/repa...1GBdata-v1.zip
    2. To use custom 1.96GB "/data", 4+GB "/media" partitioning: http://www.mailpen.com/download/repa...2GBdata-v1.zip
    3. To use B&N v1.2 "new" 5+GB "/data", 1GB "/media" partitioning: http://www.mailpen.com/download/repa...5GBdata-v1.zip
  2. Also download and copy to an SDcard, the following install package: http://www.mailpen.com/download/reformatData-v1.zip
  3. Boot into ClockworkRecovery with the above SDcard inserted in the Nook Color.
  4. Install the repartition package from the SDcard, to repartition /data (0p6), /cache (0p7), and /media (0p8).
  5. Mandatory REBOOT into ClockworkRecovery.
  6. Install the reformat package from the SDcard, to reformat (and clear) /data (0p6), /cache (0p7), and /media (0p8).
  7. If you backed up the B&N "/data" partition, then you should be able to restore and continue without reregistering, but don't count on it (you may have to reregister).
Last edited by DeanGibson; 21st May 2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: "Don't quote" comment
The Following 68 Users Say Thank You to DeanGibson For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2011, 07:50 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 5

70 posts
Hi DeanGibson, so you're basically indicating that by following this guide I won't have any problem rooting the new NC currently being sold?

I ask this because by reading different threads previously I had the impression that it's wasn't very clear if there would be issues or not with the new models.

I'm planning to buy a new one and this can make a big difference (going to another tablet brand or buying a new NC) if I'm confident that I'd be able to root it.

Thanks in advance.
24th May 2011, 07:51 PM   |  #3  
Flag Biel
Thanks Meter: 30

299 posts
More
Imho this should be made sticky in order to avoid confusion of new NC owners. Also it has been reported to work great. I will rely on this as soon as my NC finally gets delivered. Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
24th May 2011, 07:58 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

320 posts
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation Read carefully ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by limaunion

Hi DeanGibson, so you're basically indicating that by following this guide I won't have any problem rooting the new NC currently being sold?

The above repartitioning does not root the NC. In fact, you must have either:
  • rooted the NC first, and then installed "RomManager" (which requires root privileges and includes ClockworkRecovery) before doing the repartitioning; or
  • have an external SDcard which accomplishes the same thing.
This thread does not document that process; there are many other threads that do so.

The process I document is designed for the new models.
Last edited by DeanGibson; 24th May 2011 at 08:03 PM.
24th May 2011, 08:08 PM   |  #5  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 186

813 posts
There was at least one report of a B&N staff member saying they can repartition new NCs to the old set-up if requested. Can anyone confirm it?
24th May 2011, 08:50 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks Meter: 581

4,070 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosaur

There was at least one report of a B&N staff member saying they can repartition new NCs to the old set-up if requested. Can anyone confirm it?

I've heard this, waiting for someone or people to confirm it.
24th May 2011, 09:28 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Seattle, WA

320 posts
Donate to Me
More
Question And waiting, and waiting ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taosaur

This was suggested by one person:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...1031812#M45946

Hardly a definitive statement, which was denied two posts later by a B&N store employee.
24th May 2011, 10:21 PM   |  #8  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 186

813 posts
Well, having dealt with customer service (or tech support, actually), I suppose I would take the store employee's word over the alleged phone conversation :/ Pretty sure I saw someone on XDA saying they'd heard the same thing from a store employee, but again it's all what-ifs and hearsay--I haven't seen anyone say, "I went to B&N and they repartitioned my device," or "I went to B&N and they would not repartition my device."
24th May 2011, 10:27 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

2 posts
I can confirm this method has worked for me on my NC. I also did a restore of my ManualNooter'd backup after running the second formatter zip. B&N settings menus shows that the available sideload storage is at 5.23GB.

I'm going to see if I can now properly load a Cyanogen build onto my NC's eMMC that will actually fully boot now.

Thanks a ton!

Edit: It took! I just got Cyanogen to flash to the eMMC for the first time successfully since I first got my Nook. Clockwork is also no longer complaining about dealing with /data any longer either. Kudos!
Last edited by vellos; 25th May 2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Progress update.
24th May 2011, 11:05 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
I have an unopened 2011 series, blue-dotted nook. Several hours ago, after reading the post about repartitioning at the store, I went to the Barnes and Noble where it was purchased and was assured, emphatically, that the Nook CANNOT be repartitioned at the store to the older partition scheme.

Off I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a 2010 series Nook (no blue dot). Wal-Mart had some of both series in stock.

One of the Nooks must be returned. I'm actually buying the Nook to play around with rooting, but have never rooted a Nook. So I guess starting with the old partitioning would be wiser for a beginner? I can't actually open it to verify what's on the 2010 series Nook for another week (gift).
Last edited by xdavisitor; 24th May 2011 at 11:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to xdavisitor For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread