Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Handbrake alternative: Any Video Converter (Settings)

OP lafester

6th February 2011, 07:24 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 235

1,995 posts
More
So as we all know the Nook Color has hardware video decoding maxed at 854x480, 1100 kbps. After reading the handbrake thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=894165 I found that while handbrake produces excellent video, the audio is much too quiet for my needs.

After much searching and testing I have finally found a great converter that not only looks good, but allows audio gain adjustments as well.

Get Any Video Converter from here (Free):
http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/
They also have a paid version to rip DVDs if you would like to support the developer and have a nice all-in-one app.

Setup is pretty easy with AVC...
(after you select video to convert and set up output file directory etc)

Click on output profile
Select customized mp4 movie
Scroll down to frame size and manually input 854x480
Scroll down to video bitrate and manually input 1100
Click on Edit tab up at the top of the screen
Select options
Select audio
Set volume control to 8db
Click ok
Click Convert button

Just wanted to share what I have found to be a great alternative to Handbrake
Let me know if you like it or hate it...
Last edited by lafester; 6th February 2011 at 07:58 PM.
6th February 2011, 10:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

84 posts
More
Yeah, that's a nice conversion app. Personally, I like using Freemake Video Converter. This has everything that does, but it's also got a bunch of presets all setup to make converting a breeze. For example, to convert a movie I already downloaded...

Add Video, Click on "To Android" at the bottom, and it's running. Very painless. =)
6th February 2011, 10:44 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

143 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QaeadarDAzeal

Yeah, that's a nice conversion app. Personally, I like using Freemake Video Converter[/URL]. This has everything that does, but it's also got a bunch of presets all setup to make converting a breeze. For example, to convert a movie I already downloaded...

Add Video, Click on "To Android" at the bottom, and it's running. Very painless. =)

I'm also a freemake fan, does all I want less one thing. Is it possible to get it to normalize the audio levels? I know handbrake does have this feature.

Unfortunately the NC speaker is a bit gimpy and points backwards.

Something else to note, the nook can do better than 1100 kbps with software decoding. I have a video at 1800k plus that plays pretty smoothly, I'm thinking something around 1500k would probably work well. (Haven't tested)

Mike
6th February 2011, 11:03 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

1,995 posts
More
I just downloaded Freemake to check it out.
I did not see any way to adjust audio which is the main feature I was looking for.
Did not see any option to normalize audio either.
It does have a nice layout and features.

AVC still wins for this feature IMO
(yes it also has the normalize option)
7th February 2011, 12:43 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 5

83 posts
Thanks lafester. I tested it with your settings and it worked great. The only thing was that, for me, the movie I was testing (which happens to be a musical) had a bit too much reverb. I may try it again at a lower volume setting.

I also tested the Pro version, mainly because I'm hoping to still find something that can rip and covert in one step, but at those settings the audio and video weren't in sync. So, I guess I have to stick to using two steps.
7th February 2011, 01:03 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

1,995 posts
More
let us know what settings end up working for you.
seems like I saw some sync settings as well?
not sure ad I haven't tried ripping yet.
27th April 2011, 09:23 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 7

75 posts
Thanks for this. I ripped a DVD with the paid DVD ripper and it looked and sounded great. Only complaint is that it was not full screen vertically, only horizontally. That is to say, there are black bars (like letterbox) above and below the video but the video window does go all the way to the right and left of the Nook's screen. Maybe it is just because the DVD is widesreen format?
28th April 2011, 02:14 PM   |  #8  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 41

492 posts
More
I used lafester settings for AVC on Office Space, and the audio is out-of-sync with the lips. Not sure how to correct this if it is even possible?? I will probably try Freemake to see if it is any better.
28th April 2011, 03:56 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

75 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crea78

I used lafester settings for AVC on Office Space, and the audio is out-of-sync with the lips. Not sure how to correct this if it is even possible?? I will probably try Freemake to see if it is any better.

I fixed that problem by reading the FAQ on the app's website.
28th April 2011, 04:49 PM   |  #10  
Flag Great country of Texas
Thanks Meter: 2,369

12,972 posts
More
Thanks for that writeup. One suggestion, though. Put [HOW TO] or something to that effect in the title.

Sent from a super smooth captivate running andromeda

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread