T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

[Q] Spontaneously Bricked?

OP Bocete

11th June 2014, 01:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hi,

I've had my TF700 since it came out and I love it. It was running CROMBi-kk for the last month or so, and my experience has never been better. However, it would die before the battery reached anywhere close to 0%. I didn't care about that until last night, when it died at more than 50%. I was surprised that the battery would not calibrate itself over time.

Anyway, I drained the battery some more, until it could no longer boot, and left it on the charger overnight. It will not boot at all now. I held the power button down for more than a minute, on and off the charger, on and off the keyboard. It's completely dead. The only reaction I get from it is the green LED on the top of the tablet when I plug the charger in. It never starts booting up, never vibrates, nothing. The ROM has been stable until now, making me think that it's hardware. If it matters, it's been like this for 12 hours, and the tablet has been in room temperature.

Is there anything I can do to turn it on or verify? I don't care about data loss. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
- Bocete
Last edited by Bocete; 11th June 2014 at 01:29 AM.
11th June 2014, 07:16 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 931

2,839 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocete

Hi,

I've had my TF700 since it came out and I love it. It was running CROMBi-kk for the last month or so, and my experience has never been better. However, it would die before the battery reached anywhere close to 0%. I didn't care about that until last night, when it died at more than 50%. I was surprised that the battery would not calibrate itself over time.

Anyway, I drained the battery some more, until it could no longer boot, and left it on the charger overnight. It will not boot at all now. I held the power button down for more than a minute, on and off the charger, on and off the keyboard. It's completely dead. The only reaction I get from it is the green LED on the top of the tablet when I plug the charger in. It never starts booting up, never vibrates, nothing. The ROM has been stable until now, making me think that it's hardware. If it matters, it's been like this for 12 hours, and the tablet has been in room temperature.

Is there anything I can do to turn it on or verify? I don't care about data loss. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
- Bocete

Connect it to your PC via USB, make sure the computer doesn't go into sleep mode and let it trickle charge for 8 hours or so. The LED will not come on, but it should charge very slowly. This has helped some people to recalibrate the battery too, so hopefully it'll breathe some life into it.
BTW, it's never a good idea to totally drain the battery and let the tablet die for lack of juice.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to berndblb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th June 2014, 07:28 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

Connect it to your PC via USB, make sure the computer doesn't go into sleep mode and let it trickle charge for 8 hours or so. The LED will not come on, but it should charge very slowly. This has helped some people to recalibrate the battery too, so hopefully it'll breathe some life into it.
BTW, it's never a good idea to totally drain the battery and let the tablet die for lack of juice.

I'll do just that.

Yeah, I had no idea. The idea came from the (good?) old format-the-battery days.
11th June 2014, 12:02 PM   |  #4  
Flag Mold
Thanks Meter: 85

226 posts
More
Quote:

I didnt realise it could take any charge from a PC USB socket! you learn something new every day!
11th June 2014, 05:58 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Still dead. Leaving it on USB overnight didn't help.
11th June 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 931

2,839 posts
More
Quote:

Still dead. Leaving it on USB overnight didn't help.

Darn! Sorry man...
Did you have fsync off? If you have sudden reboots (and yours seems to have died multiple times from lack of power) you should not run it with fsync off..
I know, that doesn't help anymore - just thinking somebody else may benefit from reading this.

Leave it alone a couple of days and try again. Sometimes things magically do work themselves out...
11th June 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,466

3,483 posts
More
Quote:

Darn! Sorry man...
Did you have fsync off? If you have sudden reboots (and yours seems to have died multiple times from lack of power) you should not run it with fsync off..

fsync off cannot cause this kind of problems - in the worst case your data partition needs to be reformatted, but the ROM will boot. In the very unlikely case that you remounted the system partition writable and you crash while writing to it, you may have to reflash the ROM too. But it can never break the bootloader or the recovery.
11th June 2014, 07:33 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Nah, this rom was running with fsync and without data2sd.

I think it's time to start looking for a new one ;( Not the expense I needed, but did I use it daily.
11th June 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,466

3,483 posts
More
Quote:

I think it's time to start looking for a new one ;( Not the expense I needed, but did I use it daily.

Several people who were in a similar situation have reported that their tablet "magically" healed itself after a few days, so there is hope.
13th June 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that

Several people who were in a similar situation have reported that their tablet "magically" healed itself after a few days, so there is hope.

Still nothing. I think it's dead.

The upcoming TF303 looks decent. Can you anticipate how vibrant the modding community will be considering the Intel Atom? The modding community, along with your kernel work, made my TF700 usable, and I am really thankful for that. I would like to have custom options in case the stock kernel/rom do not deliver.

If Intel Atom is in any way problematic, I may try to get a new TF700. They're still being sold, and presumably not for long. The modding community for the TF701 seems basically nonexistant, which is a problem for me.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread