Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,390 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Help - Can't mount internal storage?!? Brick?

Tip us?

BigKenW
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Help - Can't mount internal storage?!? Brick?

I was running TWRP 2.7 and told it to wipe the drive. An hour later, it looked like it hadn't moved. I powered down. Then the system bootlooped and TWRP stopped working, not loading past the splash screen.

Using Fastboot I was able to reinstall TWRP 2.7 but it can no longer access the internal drive. I am told it is a size zero. I can't wipe the drive it fails for errors. I can't seem to find a solution.

I downloaded the stock firmware from Asus and tried to install that. No luck, it fails out immediately. I only tried to install the zip file inside of the zip file from Asus using TWRP. No matter what I can't delete or remove the partitions. If I run TWRP 2.6.3 it asks for a password I don't have, as if the drive is encrypted. I also tried Philz CWM and normal CWM and nothing can touch the partitions.

I am starting to get really worried now. I can't seem to find a simple process to restore to stock. I am TEMPTED to use the WIPE DATA function of the Asus Bootloader. But without the Asus recovery on there, I have no idea what will happen.

Can anyone recommend a course of action to restore this to stock? At least to get the Asus Recovery on there? I am running bootloader 10.6.1.14.10.

Thanks to everyone that can help!!!

_that
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
In TWRP, format (not only wipe) data, but this time be patient until it is finished.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _that For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BigKenW
Old
(Last edited by BigKenW; 30th April 2014 at 03:55 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by _that View Post
In TWRP, format (not only wipe) data, but this time be patient until it is finished.
I am totally beside myself. I did exactly as you mentioned about 15 times last night. All that would happen is TWRP would restart after I typed YES.

Today, I did it, and BAM it started working. I will let everyone know how it went in a few hours. I am not touching it again.

Maybe I was just way overtired at that point.

Thank you for the help!!

BigKenW
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKenW View Post
I am totally beside myself. I did exactly as you mentioned about 15 times last night. All that would happen is TWRP would restart after I typed YES.

Today, I did it, and BAM it started working. I will let everyone know how it went in a few hours. I am not touching it again.

Maybe I was just way overtired at that point.

Thank you for the help!!
That did it! I was able to install CROMBi-KK and am moving forward!!!

SgtMac02
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I'm in basically the same boat (I think I got there the same way), except when I try to format now, I get:

Code:
Select Code
Updating partition details...
E: Unable to mount '/system'
Full SELinux support is present.
Formatting Data using make_ext4fs function.
This is where it sits for an indefinite period of time. In my troubleshooting attemps I've had it display similar messages elsewhere about being unable to mount the /system folder. I tried going into Mounts even and it won't let me check that box.

For now, I'm going to just leave this sit here at this screen for a few hours while I "work" and see what happens, but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'm all ears!

LetMeKnow
Old
Thanks Meter 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMac02 View Post
I'm in basically the same boat (I think I got there the same way), except when I try to format now, I get:

Code:
Select Code
Updating partition details...
E: Unable to mount '/system'
Full SELinux support is present.
Formatting Data using make_ext4fs function.
This is where it sits for an indefinite period of time. In my troubleshooting attemps I've had it display similar messages elsewhere about being unable to mount the /system folder. I tried going into Mounts even and it won't let me check that box.

For now, I'm going to just leave this sit here at this screen for a few hours while I "work" and see what happens, but if anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'm all ears!
You should let it finishes the formatting on your /data partition and ignore the /system for now. One user had a very similar issue and reported that it took almost 4.5 hours on his/her device for formatting on his /data partition. It was up running after that so be patient and plug the AC in for your device until it is finished the job, good luck....

SgtMac02
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeKnow View Post
You should let it finishes the formatting on your /data partition and ignore the /system for now. One user had a very similar issue and reported that it took almost 4.5 hours on his/her device for formatting on his /data partition. It was up running after that so be patient and plug the AC in for your device until it is finished the job, good luck....
Dude. I don't know how long it actually took. I had waited before for more than an hour and assumed it wasn't going to work since there was ZERO indication of progress. I started it this morning and checked it after I came back from lunch about 4+ hours later and it did indeed work out. I was able to successfully reflash a new ROM again after that and all is well! I'm so glad I finally stumbled across this thread or I don't think I would have ever though to just leave it to do anything for more than an hour. I still can't believe it would take that long...but I guess it does!
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtMac02 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

johnnytraveler
Old
Thanks Meter 175
I had the same problem (twrp showed internal as 0gb). Is a twrp 2.7 thing or a kitkat thing. Thanks to know I wasnt the only one who f uped. Now I'm back and running. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my UNLOCKED SM900V.