Dynamic Pop for Note 4 (N910T & 910W8)

With the release of the Canadian Lollipop ROM for the Note 4, T-Mobile users can also enjoy the … more

Sunday Debate: Better to Buy Older or Newer Hardware?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on New vs. Old. Come with your opinions and feel … more

HTC Sense Camera & Gallery for M8 GPE Lollipop

If you are running a GPE ROM and miss the sense gallery and camera, this flashable zip by … more

XenonHD Unofficial AOSP-based ROM for Find 7a

XDA Recognized Contributor uppon2 & Team Horizon are bringing the Oppo … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

AT&T Galaxy Mega Official KitKat Update

12th June 2014, 11:42 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

213 posts
Has anyone received this ota update or even Kies? Kies doesn't have it and ota manual check is a no go. I guess I might unroot if it becomes available soon altho I will lose the "unlockedness" and I won't be able to use metro pcs on it. I think the mega is ready for a smoother and more efficient OS. Can't wait to see how it runs on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

12th June 2014, 11:54 PM |#2  
Flag North Jersey
Thanks Meter: 559

1,299 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micxploed

Has anyone received this ota update or even Kies? Kies doesn't have it and ota manual check is a no go. I guess I might unroot if it becomes available soon altho I will lose the "unlockedness" and I won't be able to use metro pcs on it. I think the mega is ready for a smoother and more efficient OS. Can't wait to see how it runs on it.

I got the DL OTA- takes about an hr. to download and must be over wifi. Over 500 mb. If you are rooted, it will not install. I unrooted with OTA rootkeeper Voodoo and it failed at 25%. Then I left it rooted. It failed at 28%. The 3rd time I unrooted with supersu. Crossed my fingers, let voodoo keep my root backup, and it did install.

Voodoo won't work on anything over 4.3, so it won't restore my root. Kingo won't work either. So you will lose root till someone figures out how to root without a flashable zip.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sashusmom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 03:35 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

213 posts
I wonder if you have to be on AT&T's network to get the update even if you're useing a different carrier.

13th June 2014, 03:48 AM |#4  
Flag North Jersey

1,299 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by micxploed

I wonder if you have to be on AT&T's network to get the update even if you're useing a different carrier.

You have to have an att sim in or you will get an error message- something like update check interrupted. Found this out cause I would have a ptel sim in it and the software check for update would fail with that message. At least that's how OTA works.
13th June 2014, 07:16 PM |#5  
Flag Flint~Town (Murder City, USA)
Thanks Meter: 73

87 posts
More
Exclamation Actually...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashusmom

You have to have an att sim in or you will get an error message- something like update check interrupted. Found this out cause I would have a ptel sim in it and the software check for update would fail with that message. At least that's how OTA works.

You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmt5150 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 07:50 PM |#6  
Flag Ypsilanti,Mi
Thanks Meter: 7

108 posts
Donate to Me
More
I think you do on this phone I kept getting update interrupted with my t mobile sim card and 64gb memory card in. I did as you said and removed and im still getting that.
13th June 2014, 08:34 PM |#7  

87 posts
More
Thumbs up Try this...
Try to backup your phone via Kies. Once that is done, remove root permanently from superSU-settings then do a factory reset with the SIM and SD out. Once complete, connect to your wifi, download and install the update. Worked on mine.
13th June 2014, 08:40 PM |#8  
Flag North Jersey

1,299 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt5150

You don't have to have an AT&T sim in to get the update. Best bet, unroot with SuperSU and remove both the SIM and the SD card, power on and try the update.

My S4 Active upgraded to KitKat last week with a Net10 SIM in it, no problem.

That may have worked with your s4. This is a Mega. When I had my ptel sim in it I would get update check interupted. When I put in my att sim, The check would go though all the way. Then say I was on the latest available.

Is Net 10 an att mvno?? I know ptel is a t-mo mvno.

To save myself time, I just put in my att sim to grab the 4.4.2 update. You have to have a wifi connection or it won't DL. You can't be rooted or it won't install. I'm talking strictly OTA.

When I plugged into my Kies, it wanted to update to a newer kies version. That installed, then said it is not compatible with my Mega!! Offered to install Kies3. So I did. That works with the Mega. I don't know if it will work with my Note 8 tab.
Last edited by sashusmom; 13th June 2014 at 08:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sashusmom For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2014, 08:45 PM |#9  

87 posts
More
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashusmom

That may have worked with your s4. This is a Mega. When I had my ptel sim in it I would get update check interupted. When I put in my att sim, The check would go though all the way. Then say I was on the latest available.

To save myself time, I just put in my att sim to grab the 4.4.2 update. You have to have a wifi connection or it won't DL. You can't be rooted or it won't install. I'm talking strictly OTA.

When I plugged into my Kies, it wanted to update to a newer kies version. That installed, then said it is not compatible with my Mega!! Offered to install Kies3. So I did. That works with the Mega. I don't know if it will work with my Note 8 tab.

I wasn't referring to my S4a, rather my Mega. I'm already working on an ODIN image and I'm currently dumping the PIT file so we can unlock the bootloader. Much easier in KitKat, I think
13th June 2014, 08:49 PM |#10  
Flag North Jersey

1,299 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt5150

I wasn't referring to my S4a, rather my Mega. I'm already working on an ODIN image and I'm currently dumping the PIT file so we can unlock the bootloader. Much easier in KitKat, I think

Oh. Sorry! You had better luck than me An unlocked bootloader will be a huge welcome! Good luck and fingers crossed
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread