XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Where Next?

Tip us?

rosswhite
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Default Where Next?

Thought this thread would be useful for users to discuss their next phone as this device is now 2 years old. Also for former users to share their experience with their new device and how it compares to the One S. Or even users looking for a cheap second hand phone and wondering how this compares to the current phones.

I'm currently in two minds whether to get the M8 when it comes out in black or hold on for the M9 and hope that they get rid of that big ugly HTC bar and reduce the size of the phone overall. What is everyone else looking at?
HTC ONE S | S-OFF | HBOOT 2.16 | LIBERTY ROM - THE SIXTH ELEMENT | 4.4.2 | SENSE 6 | SENSE 6 TOOLBOX
THANKS: BEAUPS | LLABTOOFER | BILAL_LIBERTY | PIRLANO | FLAR2 | LANGER HANS/MIKANOSHI

dd98
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosswhite View Post
Thought this thread would be useful for users to discuss their next phone as this device is now 2 years old. Also for former users to share their experience with their new device and how it compares to the One S. Or even users looking for a cheap second hand phone and wondering how this compares to the current phones.

I'm currently in two minds whether to get the M8 when it comes out in black or hold on for the M9 and hope that they get rid of that big ugly HTC bar and reduce the size of the phone overall. What is everyone else looking at?
It depends if you are patient enough, personally I like the Gun Metal Grey version of the M8. My HTC One S is pretty much dead with a broken power button, broken micro USB port and a smashed screen. I have applied for the One Plus Smash so if I get selected I will send you an invite if you are interested
The Following User Says Thank You to dd98 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Brushstroke
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I think this thread is a good idea. Many people in the development section talk about moving on to another phone. I can now include myself in this category as I have a Nexus 5 coming in the mail probably Thursday or Friday of this week. After I get it, I'm going to do a clean flash of the latest CM11 nightly on my One S, set it up as normal and keep it as a second device if anything were to happen to my N5. I'm just sick of the constant, little stability issues that this phone seems to have. It'll be nice to have a phone that has a much larger development community. I'm not sure if I'll use a custom ROM on my N5 yet, but if I do I know that I have many official options as opposed to buggy, unofficial ports made by unknown devs.
Phone
Google Nexus 5
Android 4.4.4 KitKat (Stock)
Xposed+GravityBox
ElementalX Kernel

Tablet
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Android 4.4.4 KitKat (Stock)

Darknites
Old
Thanks Meter 2,329
Get the M8, it's a great phone.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Darknites For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rosswhite
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknites View Post
Get the M8, it's a great phone.

One thing that has always confused me, if you put the GP software on it, does it make the camera worse without the sense software?
HTC ONE S | S-OFF | HBOOT 2.16 | LIBERTY ROM - THE SIXTH ELEMENT | 4.4.2 | SENSE 6 | SENSE 6 TOOLBOX
THANKS: BEAUPS | LLABTOOFER | BILAL_LIBERTY | PIRLANO | FLAR2 | LANGER HANS/MIKANOSHI

Darknites
Old
Thanks Meter 2,329
Quote:
One thing that has always confused me, if you put the GP software on it, does it make the camera worse without the sense software?
Not tried it, I use insertcoin rom but I believe it only missing some stuff you most likely don't use but the depth camera still works just need to download gallery from the store to play with them type of pictures.

The Following User Says Thank You to Darknites For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jis251
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:

I wait for M8 Mini. Want to know the size of Mini (screen is 4.5" but want to know the "total" size). I like HTC One S, size is perfect and the aluminum makes it perfect. I will never buy iPhone or Samsung. So what is left, Jolla or Huawei or Sony.
So I decide to wait for M8 Mini. And keep my ONE S because of good dev's on this site makes ONE S live longer with great modified OS.
The Following User Says Thank You to jis251 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rosswhite
Old
(Last edited by rosswhite; 29th April 2014 at 08:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jis251 View Post
I wait for M8 Mini. Want to know the size of Mini (screen is 4.5" but want to know the "total" size). I like HTC One S, size is perfect and the aluminum makes it perfect. I will never buy iPhone or Samsung. So what is left, Jolla or Huawei or Sony.
So I decide to wait for M8 Mini. And keep my ONE S because of good dev's on this site makes ONE S live longer with great modified OS.
Yeah the M8 Mini will no doubt be a great phone also. Really interested to see what camera they put in it, ultra pixel or hopefully a regular 8/12mp shooter.

rosswhite
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknites View Post
Not tried it, I use insertcoin rom but I believe it only missing some stuff you most likely don't use but the depth camera still works just need to download gallery from the store to play with them type of pictures.

Sorry, I forgot to ask before, how has your battery life been on the M8? All the reviews I've seen have said its very very good.

Darknites
Old
Thanks Meter 2,329
Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to ask before, how has your battery life been on the M8? All the reviews I've seen have said its very very good.
I had 2 days with over 5 hours on screen time.