Exclamation 4.3 Update for T-Mobile M919 ~ DO NOT UPDATE IF...

OP Tunasty

26th November 2013, 09:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1,743

2,151 posts
Donate to Me
More
T-Mobile finally pushed the 4.3 update earlier today but DO NOT UPDATE YOUR PHONE IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR ROOT! It comes with a locked bootloader. Therefore, once you are on 4.3 stock, you can only flash stock firmwares then. If you try to root your phone on 4.3 with the standard method, it will blow your efuse and void your warranty!

AGAIN, DO NOT UPDATE 4.3 VIA OTA OR ODIN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO VOID YOUR WARRANTY. IF YOU HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT, FEEL FREE TO UPDATE

Info on KNOX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke84

What we know so far (I think!)

1. Upgrading to newer Samsung firmware will upgrade the bootloader to knox bootloader. this will give an additional 2 lines in download mode about knox status.

2. If the Knox warranty void line says 0x1 then you cannot use knox softwareas your device has been flagged as insecure. By this i mean that if your workplace / company supports bring your own device to work for corporate emails etc and they use knox to keep security your device will not allow this. You are still able to use future samsung firmware releases with the knox flag 0x1. hope this makes sense. sorry for any confusion this has caused!

3. If the knox warranty line says 0x0 knox will work.

4. with the new knox bootloader root will work, however rooting with CFautorootwill trip the knox flag. thanks @DjeMBeY for correcting this point you can use the root method (Root de la Vega) described here for rooting a device with knox bootloader.

5. If you try to downgrade to earlier firmware / bootloader it will set the knox flag to 0x1 i.e. void.

6. once the knox flag gets set to 0x1 there is no way to set it back (that anyone has found yet anyway!)

7. some newer 4.2.2 software that's supplied with the knox bootloader has been repacked by devs to not use the new bootloader and it all works fine you can still keep up to date.

8. I've seen people trying the test build of 4.3 touchwiz without the new knox bootloader sound and wifi does not work. This is no longer the case, see point 12.

9. There seems to be a big question mark as to weather Samsung will allow hardware repairs under warranty with the knox 0x1 flag

10. only seems to affect GT-i9505 at the moment!

11. Software affected thanks to @DjeMBeY

12. it is now possible to install custom 4.3 TW roms which have been modified to work without the new knox bootloader, do make sure that they are free from knox bootloader before flashing. Do note also that if you already have knox bootloader flashing anything even these 4.3 custom roms will still trip your 0x1 flag

Credit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2470635
Thanks to @Mr Impossible @Jamison904 @jovy23 and everyone else!
Last edited by Tunasty; 26th November 2013 at 11:02 PM.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Tunasty For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2013, 09:09 PM   |  #2  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 294

1,284 posts
More
DO NOT FLASH MODEMS/BASEBAND EITHER..... does not let u make phone calls on the leaked 4.3 tw version..... or the regular 4.2.2 version and like some1 said 4.4..... not sure if it works on the official 4.3 tw released today since no dev has released a rom of it... so do not flash if u need to make or receive phone calls makes ur phone freeze and wont make the actual call

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmkovach

Same here. Have tried GPE 4.3, stock 4.2.2, and international 4.3 TW. Phone freezes when trying to make a phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Impossible

Anyone taking the OTA or Odin the new firmware will be sorry they did. Modem is also tied to the bootloader somehow as was the i9505 and won't work without the bootloader. Seems to be more security in this also. More to come...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you already flashed the new modem and want to get back to MDL to make phone calls lol here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdi1988

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2282342

Last edited by gdmlaz; 26th November 2013 at 09:31 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gdmlaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2013, 09:11 PM   |  #3  
Flag Dallas, Tx
Thanks Meter: 470

1,944 posts
More
I dont think it comes with a lock bootloader but more of with new knox flash counter.
26th November 2013, 09:11 PM   |  #4  
Flag Miami

1,284 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy214

I dont think it comes with a lock bootloader but more of with new knox flash counter.

Is already confirmed that it comes with LOCKED bootloaded
The Following User Says Thank You to gdmlaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2013, 09:14 PM   |  #5  
Cloudsdale
Thanks Meter: 197

80 posts
More
Along w/ no calls, does it include breaking sound?
26th November 2013, 09:14 PM   |  #6  
Flag 305
Thanks Meter: 955

680 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy214

All Samsung bootloaders have been locked after MH8. This is part of Knox security.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Impossible For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2013, 09:17 PM   |  #7  
Flag Dallas, Tx

1,944 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmlaz

DO NOT FLASH MODEMS/BASEBAND EITHER..... does not let u make phone calls on the leaked 4.3 tw version..... or the regular 4.2.2 version and like some1 said 4.4..... not sure if it works on the official 4.3 tw released today since no dev has released a rom of it... so do not flash if u need to make or receive phone calls makes ur phone freeze and wont make the actual call

Thats sucks. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of flashing the kernel with a 4.3 9505 rom.
How about doing that?

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote:

All Samsung bootloaders have been locked after MH8. This is part of Knox security.

So lock bootloader like on Att and verizon? I think samsung will loose a lot of business in the near future
26th November 2013, 09:26 PM   |  #8  
Flag Miami

1,284 posts
More
This seems to be the problem

Quote:

Anyone taking the OTA or Odin the new firmware will be sorry they did. Modem is also tied to the bootloader somehow as was the i9505 and won't work without the bootloader. Seems to be more security in this also. More to come...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdmlaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2013, 09:27 PM   |  #9  
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks Meter: 14,358

5,254 posts
Donate to Me
More
@jovy23 flashed the OTA and now cannot Odin a custom recovery nor revert to MDL. Odin fails every time. I have a locked Verizon S4 I bought for testing (not much good that did) this is the exact same thing I fought weeks to brake.. Nothing. It is locked.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jamison904 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th November 2013, 09:31 PM   |  #10  
Flag Dallas, Tx

1,944 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmlaz

This seems to be the problem

Thats sucks. I hope people on XDA will read before they make a mistake

The Following User Says Thank You to gypsy214 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread