Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 39,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S3 locked after 4.4.2 OTA

Tip us?

aufgehts
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] S3 locked after 4.4.2 OTA

Here is what happened, i downloaded the OTA from AT&T, unrooted my phone and installed the update. It went all the way through, rebooted and that's where it stops. As soon as the AT&T welcome screen comes up the phone just freezes. When i plug it to my PC the phone is not recognized. Kies says it can't connect to the device. I'm able to get into download mode and odin seems to find the phone. But in download mode there is no option to reboot or anything. It only says "custom" on all options.
Can anybody help?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,936

DONATE TO ME
Factory reset usually solves most boot hangups. It will wipe your internal sd if you have stock recovery though.

aufgehts
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
i can't find any option to do a factory reset. I flashed Philz touch with odin, it said it passed. Tried a factory reset but it still freezes at the AT&T homescreen.
Any other way to do a factory reset?

keithfrombm
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Why'd you re-root BEFORE installing the update? Is there a particular reason? From what I've read on here, towelroot will easily root it afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app

aufgehts
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithfrombm View Post
Why'd you re-root BEFORE installing the update? Is there a particular reason? From what I've read on here, towelroot will easily root it afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Free mobile app
I took root off the phone since most of the time root stops OTA updates. Then i downloaded and installed the update. I had plans to root it again after the update.

RynO-SauruS
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello there. I also attempted the 4.4.2 OTA from stock 4.3, and now I'm having this exact same issue. The device had TWRP recovery installed, so I re-installed the stock recovery. It was also rooted and a few system files were edited (lock sounds, hosts file), I reverted all the changes, did a full unroot via SuperSU and proceeded with the OTA. It seemed successful until it tried to boot.. it now freezes on the AT&T logo, as the OP mentioned. I installed TWRP recovery again via Odin so I could back up all the data from the phone and do a factory reset. Unfortunately, this did not fix the freezing. I've attempted reverting back to the latest official Odin .tar (4.1.1), which I've now learned is not possible since the 4.3 update and its locked bootloader. It would seem that the only thing that would do the trick now would be an Odin-flashable 4.4.2 tar. For now, I've installed CyanogenMod as a temporary solution.

BWolf56
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,698

DONATE TO ME
I dunno if it has been tested yet but this is a TWRP/CWM flashable zip which also preserves root.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...62&postcount=5
Sent by falcon messenger while riding a laser equipped T-rex on a rocket
>>Get Dropbox right here<<
>>Rogers LTE tethering mod<<
LG G3 D852
ROM: Stock debloated
Kernel: 3.4.0
Launcher: Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelendel
Jig ~ You should never need one but.. Use the condom theory.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,936

DONATE TO ME
It didnt work. I am currently uploading two more attempts now and will post the links in that thread as soon as they are ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ndp1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default this worked for me

Hi All, Just wanted to share a solution that worked for me. I was in the same boat. OTA update locked phone on ATT screen. Used steps 2 and 6 from link below and now have 4.4.2 running on my phone. Happy flashing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53574211