Any roms for the Mediapad X1?

Search This thread

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
I'd like to get rid of the Huawei UI and get something clean like AOSP or CM.

Do we have any roms yet?

joytest

Apr 22, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
None so far. It seems Huawei hasn't released any sources yet.

As a workaround, just install any 3rd party launcher. Nova works fine.

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
Nova would probably be the first thing I put on there, I hear this phone doesn't come with the Google play store though?

What about root? Has that been done yet? Gotta uninstall all the junk :)

None so far. It seems Huawei hasn't released any sources yet.

As a workaround, just install any 3rd party launcher. Nova works fine.

mobile88

Dec 24, 2004
Huawei Mate 20 X
There is not even any custom recovery yet !! So flashing any zip roms not possible even if available..

Sent from my MediaPad X1 7.0 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mobile88

Dec 24, 2004
Huawei Mate 20 X
Rooting just use n google for program root genius. It works fine n very fast to get phone rooted

Sent from my MediaPad X1 7.0 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

joytest

Apr 22, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Nova would probably be the first thing I put on there, I hear this phone doesn't come with the Google play store though?

There isn't much junk on this phone, quite a clean ROM. The International models come with Play store. The China models have an installable Play store from the Huawei app store, so there is no problem.

To root, you need to first install HiSuite, then enable USB debugging, then run Root Genius.

Reactions: DöwletR

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
I'm not sure which version I ordered. I got the FDD Dual LTE one from here..
http://www.huaweimobileshop.com/

Does HiSuite come with the phone or do I have to download it somewhere?

There isn't much junk on this phone, quite a clean ROM. The International models come with Play store. The China models have an installable Play store from the Huawei app store, so there is no problem.

To root, you need to first install HiSuite, then enable USB debugging, then run Root Genius.

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
Excellent! Thank you!

I guess the first thing to do once I get the phone is to update it to the latest firmware via HiSuite and then root it.
I wonder if I need to unlock the phone as well? I will be putting in a sim card from the US, but I suspect phones outside the US aren't carrier locked.

Last edited:

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee
United States, took 3 days to arrive.

OK, thanks. Any import tax on charged on it?

I'm in the UK and a bit concerned that I'm going to get hit with another £30 or £40 in import duty, as it'll be coming from the Far East. It might not be the same in the US though I suppose.

Does anyone know how it works regarding import tax/duty to the UK?

acuratlsfan

Jul 11, 2008

I'm in the UK and a bit concerned that I'm going to get hit with another £30 or £40 in import duty, as it'll be coming from the Far East. It might not be the same in the US though I suppose.

USA doesn't charge tax/customs for these devices. Some China based vendors will offer to ship the item without the original retail packaging to avoid additional taxes for certain destinations.

omniphil

Feb 27, 2008
USA doesn't charge tax/customs for these devices. Some China based vendors will offer to ship the item without the original retail packaging to avoid additional taxes for certain destinations.

Yup, no taxes for me. It was either $13 for regular shipping and $19 for expedited shipping, Expedited took 3 days, pretty nice...
That's all I paid over the cost of the phone.

Makzinations

Oct 8, 2010

One of my first replies here on XDA, even tho I visit these forums every day.

About customs taxes: I live in The Netherlands, rougly 10% of all incoming parcels gets manually checked and opened by the dutch customs. I always let the seller mark the customs value as 17$ OR BELOW IT. The rule in The Netherlands is that all parcels, coming from outside EU, gets a 21% TAX and €17,50 standard import/clearance costs. Writing now with my X1, imported without any additional costs. Try to let the seller mark 15$ on your parcel and I think you can import it without having to pay taxes. Also this works perfect for me with DHL and small airmail parcels, big parcels (i.e. 20pcs Beats by Dre Studio) shipped with Airmail or HK Speedpost always gets picked out, never with DHL.

Wish you good luck, and let me knpw if you order it and how it's done after importing regardings taxes.

Reactions: DrHRH

DrHRH

Jan 22, 2008
Nerdville, Tennessee

About customs taxes: I live in The Netherlands, rougly 10% of all incoming parcels gets manually checked and opened by the dutch customs. I always let the seller mark the customs value as 17$ OR BELOW IT. The rule in The Netherlands is that all parcels, coming from outside EU, gets a 21% TAX and €17,50 standard import/clearance costs. Writing now with my X1, imported without any additional costs. Try to let the seller mark 15$ on your parcel and I think you can import it without having to pay taxes. Also this works perfect for me with DHL and small airmail parcels, big parcels (i.e. 20pcs Beats by Dre Studio) shipped with Airmail or HK Speedpost always gets picked out, never with DHL.

Wish you good luck, and let me knpw if you order it and how it's done after importing regardings taxes.

Thanks for the post. I'm hoping a friend of mine can get one from Malaysia and bring it back to the UK for me.

I suppose the important question is actually this:

Is the phone actually worth it - is it any good? :)

Makzinations

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks for the post. I'm hoping a friend of mine can get one from Malaysia and bring it back to the UK for me.

I suppose the important question is actually this:

Is the phone actually worth it - is it any good? :)

Great.

Phone is actually pretty good. Annoys me that the AOSP Android Development isn't going fast. Chinese forums already have CWM in Chinese language, but still nothing different than MIUI. I've installed the 4.4 Google Now launcher and removed the borders around the icons which MIUI implements by default. Really strange thing is that my Android is way faster now than it was when I got it in the beginning, didn't change anything.

Keyboard typing needs some practice at this big screen, using AOSP keyboard right now but I always type the letter 'M' instead of 'N' and the letter 'P' instead of 'o' lol. Trying to get used to it now for a couple of weeks, but still need to practice more haha.

Hopefully this phone gets dev's attention, so we can get a AOSP rom, but I think we'll need to wait on Huawei for releasing the kernel sources...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm not sure which version I ordered. I got the FDD Dual LTE one from here..
    http://www.huaweimobileshop.com/

Does HiSuite come with the phone or do I have to download it somewhere?

Here

http://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/downloads/detail/index.htm?id=16205

or here which is the main site

http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/index.html