FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (June 27 – July 4)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

HTC One M9 Developer Edition Android 5.1 OTA

The Developer Edition of the HTC One M9 is receiving an over-the-air update to Android 5.1. … more

Index Project For XDA Device Subforums

Another ambitious project from the collaborative efforts of Recognized Contributors and Forum … more

The Atlas of XDA

A few weeks ago, we asked you “How Does Your Location Affect Your Life As A Power User?”. In the days that … more

We Can Not Change Google Chrome Browser Default Download Directory...

949 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By lawalty, Senior Member on 22nd August 2013, 03:52 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I purchased a 32gb micro memory card (class 10) for my beloved Note2. Then I updated my Google Chrome browser for Android. I made it my default browser. I noticed, all my files I download goes to my internal phone memory.

I tried to figure out how to change the default download directory, with no success. It's just not possible. I'm coming from stock browser, which uses external memory. Also, Dolphin HD browser uses external memory, but not Chrome!

Not Chrome!

22nd August 2013, 07:42 AM |#2  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Someone correct me but, may have to do with Nexus phones not having an SD card slot and its probably the Nexus' default browser? For some reason they carried that throughout?
22nd August 2013, 01:22 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Yeah, i thought of that also. But for us with removable external memory cards, it's a pain to keep manually moving my downloaded "stuff" from the storage/sdcard0/download folder to the storage/extSdCard/downIoad folder. It's a shame they can't put it in the settings somewhere.
23rd August 2013, 02:27 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 555

More
You could probably use one of the bind Mount utilities from the market to mount the download directory over to the external card.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttabbal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd August 2013, 11:29 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal

You could probably use one of the bind Mount utilities from the market to mount the download directory over to the external card.

However, I would need a rooted phone.

Don't misunderstand me. I rooted all my Android phones up to my Note 2 (Vibrant, G2, SGS2) however not my Note 2 yet. Its because I use Isis wallet.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
23rd August 2013, 02:28 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
How about a download manager? I have been researching for a solution, and came across these download managers. I noticed that If you install these apps, when you attempt to download anything, it asks if you want to use the download manager or "internet". Why can't the download manager point to my "download" folder on my external SD card.
23rd August 2013, 11:19 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 555

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalty

How about a download manager? I have been researching for a solution, and came across these download managers. I noticed that If you install these apps, when you attempt to download anything, it asks if you want to use the download manager or "internet". Why can't the download manager point to my "download" folder on my external SD card.

You would need one that's configurable for that. I imagine that's more up to the download manager app than anything else. There has to be one that lets you pick the destination directory.

You could also try something like Script Manager, write a quick script to copy the files over to the external, then delete them from the internal. It wouldn't need root as the sdcard directories don't respect permissions by design. Then set it to run once an hour or similar. The "script" could be as simple as "mv /sdcard/download/* /extSdCard/" .... Assuming "mv" doesn't get angry about them being different filesystems. If not, a "cp" followed by an "rm" would do the same thing. Or you could get fancy and use a loop to check that the files got copied over before deleting the original... lots of options.

Google's hate toward removable storage is irritating.
The Following User Says Thank You to ttabbal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th August 2013, 12:31 PM |#8  
RC-RT & Moderator Committees / Spider-Mod
Flag Right behind you!
Thanks Meter: 30,608

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawalty

If you are going that route why not just choose the stock Android browser for downloads and that has an option to download to memory card? You would have to clear defaults in Chrome if you already had chosen to use that to download as default.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2013, 08:17 PM |#9  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I use the download manager that comes with ES File Explorer as my default downloader. All downloads go to my sd card.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cubicsilver For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th August 2013, 02:24 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicsilver

I use the download manager that comes with ES File Explorer as my default downloader. All downloads go to my sd card.

I will check out thid download manager fron ES. Maybe it'll work. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread