Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,290 Members 46,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC One M7 bootloop

Tip us?

infrequent
Old
(Last edited by infrequent; 18th June 2014 at 07:07 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] HTC One M7 bootloop

Hi.

I hope you guys have some advise to get this HTC One working again.

My wife has a HTC One that was rooted and had TWRP installed but it was used with normal HTC Sense 5.5 (4.19.401.11 according to the device).

She wanted to install the OTA update to Sense 6.0. We downloaded the OTA update but since we had TWRP i went ahead and downloaded the 4.19.401.11 recovery (from http://d-h.st/users/guich/?fld_id=29380#files) and flashed it.

The problem now is that the device keeps rebooting after 10 sec or so and I have not found a way to stop it. I tried flashing TWRP again but that did not change anything.

Anything I can do to stop it from rebooting and get the OTA update installed? Preferably without losing data.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Is it normal for 'fastboot erase cache' to give this output:
C:\HTCOneRoot>fastboot erase cache
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this partition?
erasing 'cache'...
OKAY [ 0.045s]
finished. total time: 0.045s

yatindroid
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Install twrp again restore data/preload apps then flash stock recovery
that fastboot command is right & output is normal

from HTC One

infrequent
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatindroid View Post
Install twrp again restore data/preload apps then flash stock recovery
that fastboot command is right & output is normal

from HTC One
You mean restore from a previous backup ? She has no backup to restore from.

yatindroid
Old
Thanks Meter 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by infrequent View Post
You mean restore from a previous backup ? She has no backup to restore from.
No not backup
You have to find out your system version like 4.12.401.11
Then some apps installed at data/preload in boot loader locked phone
Calculator.apk
Flash light.apk
HTC ringtone trimmer apk
Some more apps according to your version
Find them
Restore them

from HTC One

infrequent
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatindroid View Post
No not backup
You have to find out your system version like 4.12.401.11
Then some apps installed at data/preload in boot loader locked phone
Calculator.apk
Flash light.apk
HTC ringtone trimmer apk
Some more apps according to your version
Find them
Restore them
How would this break the boot-loop ?

BotFly
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
How would this break the boot-loop ?
Always make a backup. That being said, reboot into twrp recovery, sideload a stock Rom, wipe and flash. If that doesn't work you'll need to RUU back to stock.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

infrequent
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Getting worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotFly View Post
Always make a backup. That being said, reboot into twrp recovery, sideload a stock Rom, wipe and flash. If that doesn't work you'll need to RUU back to stock.
This problem is getting more and more annoying and mysterious ... as I now have the problem on two devices instead of just one!

DEVICE A:

I gave up trying to fix the bootloop on my wife's phone (device A). Instead I did a factory reset and stayed away from making any updates thinking that was the cause. For a few days it worked without problems. Then one afternoon it started rebooting again and again. I had no solution at hand so I let it be and strangely enough it stopped bootlooping after a few hours and seemes stable again. To be safe I later turned it off an went into TWRP to make a backup. After that ... it bootlooped again.

I decided to try a custom ROM and looked at CM but decided on Android Revolution since we like Sense. I installed it but had some problem getting installation to work with TWRP 2.7.0.0. Eventually I updated to TWRP 2.7.1.1 and installation worked and device was up and running nicely.

DEVICE B:
Encouraged by my success with Device A I decided to install Android Revolution on my own M7 (Device B) too. Device B had previously been rooted but had since been updated to Sense 6 through HTC's normal OTA update. TWRP 2.7.0.0 was installed so I updated to TWRP 2.7.1.1 and did a TWRP backup. Then I flashed the same Android Revolution ROM file as on Device A. After going through setup I found that I did not have my contacts or SMS-messages restored but otherwise the device worked flawlessly.

This morning I decided I wanted to go back to my previous backup and somehow get my contacts and SMS-messages exported. I did a restore through TWRP and rebooted. The device seemed stuck or very slow to boot so I went into recovery again af wiped dalvik cache and cache and rebooted. The device then said that it installed/optimised 120 apps after which it booted fine.

... and then device B started bootlooping also !

The reason for the two devices bootlooping is probably the same but I cannot see the common denominator here. Both devices have been rooted for months. Device A started bootlooping while on normal HTC Sense ROM after a restart and may or may not now be fixed with Android Revolution. Device B had never bootlooped on HTC Sense ROM but started doing so after I installed Android Revolution and went back to HTC Sense to export my contacts.

I have tried wiping, I have tried fixing permissions. Nothing seems to really work. What really puzzles me why it starts and why it (on device B) suddenly stopped and then later started again.

I am really really confused ... and without a working phone.

DrTricky
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Exactly the same problem.

Hi,

I seem to be having exactly the same problem. My scenario is a little different though.

>Last night I was out at a party and my phone battery went completely flat.
>When I got home I decided to charge it for a while, about 5 minutes, and then turn it on.
>Once on I noticed it was on 3%. I thought it should be enough for use while it charges but about +-10 seconds after booting it restarted.
>I turned the device off and left it to charge for a while longer.
>About an hour later I turned it on at 80%
>Again after about +-10 seconds it rebooted. I left it this time and it rebooted about 6 times before I decided to give up and go to bed.
>I turned the device off.

>This morning I woke up and turned the device on. Again it was stuck in a reboot loop.
>After about 4 loops it booted successfully and I was able to send the HTC error report before the device rebooted.
>I then when to software updates and checked if an update was available.
>There was an update available so I left it to download 4.4.2 (South Africa not sure if its a different version at all)

Once downloading the OTA Update I knew I would have to flash the stock recovery so:
>I booted into bootloader
>Went to fastboot
>opened cmd on my pc
>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
>rebooted, and once again I'm stuck in a reboot loop.

Any advice?

P.S. I have installed an OTA update like this before when the previous android version was released for HTC One(m7).

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 980

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
This problem is getting more and more annoying and mysterious ... as I now have the problem on two devices instead of just one!

DEVICE A:

I gave up trying to fix the bootloop on my wife's phone (device A). Instead I did a factory reset and stayed away from making any updates thinking that was the cause. For a few days it worked without problems. Then one afternoon it started rebooting again and again. I had no solution at hand so I let it be and strangely enough it stopped bootlooping after a few hours and seemes stable again. To be safe I later turned it off an went into TWRP to make a backup. After that ... it bootlooped again.

I decided to try a custom ROM and looked at CM but decided on Android Revolution since we like Sense. I installed it but had some problem getting installation to work with TWRP 2.7.0.0. Eventually I updated to TWRP 2.7.1.1 and installation worked and device was up and running nicely.

DEVICE B:
Encouraged by my success with Device A I decided to install Android Revolution on my own M7 (Device B) too. Device B had previously been rooted but had since been updated to Sense 6 through HTC's normal OTA update. TWRP 2.7.0.0 was installed so I updated to TWRP 2.7.1.1 and did a TWRP backup. Then I flashed the same Android Revolution ROM file as on Device A. After going through setup I found that I did not have my contacts or SMS-messages restored but otherwise the device worked flawlessly.

This morning I decided I wanted to go back to my previous backup and somehow get my contacts and SMS-messages exported. I did a restore through TWRP and rebooted. The device seemed stuck or very slow to boot so I went into recovery again af wiped dalvik cache and cache and rebooted. The device then said that it installed/optimised 120 apps after which it booted fine.

... and then device B started bootlooping also !

The reason for the two devices bootlooping is probably the same but I cannot see the common denominator here. Both devices have been rooted for months. Device A started bootlooping while on normal HTC Sense ROM after a restart and may or may not now be fixed with Android Revolution. Device B had never bootlooped on HTC Sense ROM but started doing so after I installed Android Revolution and went back to HTC Sense to export my contacts.

I have tried wiping, I have tried fixing permissions. Nothing seems to really work. What really puzzles me why it starts and why it (on device B) suddenly stopped and then later started again.

I am really really confused ... and without a working phone.
Flash TWRP 2.6.3.3 on both devices and reflash ARHD and you problems will be gone

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTricky View Post
Hi,

I seem to be having exactly the same problem. My scenario is a little different though.

>Last night I was out at a party and my phone battery went completely flat.
>When I got home I decided to charge it for a while, about 5 minutes, and then turn it on.
>Once on I noticed it was on 3%. I thought it should be enough for use while it charges but about +-10 seconds after booting it restarted.
>I turned the device off and left it to charge for a while longer.
>About an hour later I turned it on at 80%
>Again after about +-10 seconds it rebooted. I left it this time and it rebooted about 6 times before I decided to give up and go to bed.
>I turned the device off.

>This morning I woke up and turned the device on. Again it was stuck in a reboot loop.
>After about 4 loops it booted successfully and I was able to send the HTC error report before the device rebooted.
>I then when to software updates and checked if an update was available.
>There was an update available so I left it to download 4.4.2 (South Africa not sure if its a different version at all)

Once downloading the OTA Update I knew I would have to flash the stock recovery so:
>I booted into bootloader
>Went to fastboot
>opened cmd on my pc
>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
>rebooted, and once again I'm stuck in a reboot loop.

Any advice?

P.S. I have installed an OTA update like this before when the previous android version was released for HTC One(m7).
you do not have the same problem. what you need is fastboot erase cache after flashing a different recovery
the process is
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

you can't skip any of those steps
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

DrTricky
Old
(Last edited by DrTricky; 22nd June 2014 at 01:50 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
Flash TWRP 2.6.3.3 on both devices and reflash ARHD and you problems will be gone

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

you do not have the same problem. what you need is fastboot erase cache after flashing a different recovery
the process is
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader

you can't skip any of those steps
This doesnt make sense. Since it is not a normal bootloop. This loop is as follows:

>get past boot logo
>start android
>after +-10 seconds reboot.

I would understand if it never got past the boot logo. But it does.

EDIT: tried the above anyway and still no change.

In case you need any of the following information:

C:\ADB>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.21.3263.04
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.62.401.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__016
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3834mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-bb768ae1
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.043s

Of course IMEI and Serial number have been removed. Also sorry for thread steal. I might just start a new one if I need to.