Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unlock Bootloader (Post-OTA)?

OP Hackenstein

22nd June 2014, 05:22 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

165 posts
More
Hey Guys,

Dug out my two old Droid DNAs today to sell them both. One has the unlocked bootloader, the other (my wife's old phone) does not. She took the OTA update when it went out way back when.

Been scouring the forums every where trying to find a way to unlock the bootloader to up the phone's value a little. Has anyone found a way to do this after the software update?

If there isn't a way to do it, does that make this phone pretty much un-changeable? Is it not possible to get root, add custom recovery, flash custom OS, etc?

Thanks!
8th September 2014, 07:16 PM   |  #2  
Flag st. george's
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
bootloader
So no one have found a method so far to boot unlock after the OTA?
14th September 2014, 05:46 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
Sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_john

So no one have found a method so far to boot unlock after the OTA?

I'm still looking for that also...
14th September 2014, 07:06 AM   |  #4  
Flag L.A. Area
Thanks Meter: 174

763 posts
More
I Ruued back to 3.06 took the latest update and used weaksauce for temp root and firewater to soff and unlock.
The Following User Says Thank You to mopartonyg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2014, 08:02 AM   |  #5  

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartonyg

I Ruued back to 3.06 took the latest update and used weaksauce for temp root and firewater to soff and unlock.

I couldn't find the RUU for the Verizon DNA, did you use something else that worked for this phone?
14th September 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #6  
Fayetteville, NC
Thanks Meter: 151

418 posts
More
Here's how I got s-off and unlocked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13&postcount=1 Just make sure you are s-on, or firewater won't do anything.

RUU can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612740, personally, I haven't been able to get the 3.06 RUU to work. Keeps erroring out. I used the alt method.

Just a side note: you may want to do a factory reset from HBOOT (from the stock HBOOT and stock recovery) before rooting or unlocking anything. Helps to keep the "no 4G" issue from happening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I.M.famous XMAN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #7  
Flag L.A. Area

763 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M.famous XMAN

Here's how I got s-off and unlocked bootloader: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...13&postcount=1 Just make sure you are s-on, or firewater won't do anything.

RUU can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2612740, personally, I haven't been able to get the 3.06 RUU to work. Keeps erroring out. I used the alt method.

Just a side note: you may want to do a factory reset from HBOOT (from the stock HBOOT and stock recovery) before rooting or unlocking anything. Helps to keep the "no 4G" issue from happening.

Exactly!!
17th September 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #8  

16 posts
one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopartonyg

I know this will be a frustrating question for you;
For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?
Or, do i need to look for something newer to come out?
18th September 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #9  
Flag L.A. Area

763 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz5150

one concern about RUU.
I've had this phone since their launch, and i remember that throughout the updates, the battery life and everything in general had become much better; I do appreciate the KitKat system and the upgraded Sense.
My concern is, if I revert back to earlier RUU, will i suffer from those of the earlier Android versions? or, will the newer Sense or ROMs take care of it?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

For you to RUU, from my understanding, i have to get a rumrunner, but from what i read, it's used for software versions 3.XXXX. Mine is 4.XXX can i still use the rumrunner to RUU to the prev software versions?

I used weaksauce and firewater after I took the 4.4.2 update
19th September 2014, 03:16 PM   |  #10  
Flag L.A. Area

763 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz5150

one concern about RUU.

my battery life is the same or better with KK

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread