Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,065 Members 41,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

gps lock

Tip us?

cougar214
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Question gps lock

Can someone recommend a good gps app that doesn't rely on Google Navigation? Google maps wouldn't lock any satellites on 4.1.2 and it works even less in kit kat. My wife had a very important doctors appointment today and we almost missed it because it was the 1st time using the navigation on kit kat and to my dismay, it's still garbage!

And I refuse to play the blame game between AT&T and LG as to who is to blame and needs to fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cougar214 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zamajalo
Old
Thanks Meter 7
First, let it do an initial fix. Install GPS Status & Toolbox from Play (or don't, use Maps application you already have), go out, enable High precision location (if using Maps, tap on My location button) and wait for a fix. It takes around 5 minutes, if device's GPS wasn't initialised. If devices GPS was initialised but can't get a fix, I suggest installing GPS Status and check the number of available satelites.

osmand uses OpenStreetMap, so you may try with that.

cougar214
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamajalo View Post
First, let it do an initial fix. Install GPS Status & Toolbox from Play (or don't, use Maps application you already have), go out, enable High precision location (if using Maps, tap on My location button) and wait for a fix. It takes around 5 minutes, if device's GPS wasn't initialised. If devices GPS was initialised but can't get a fix, I suggest installing GPS Status and check the number of available satelites.

osmand uses OpenStreetMap, so you may try with that.
Thanks zamajalo. I think that may have worked but I didn't test it by going for a drive. But I do have to go into town tomorrow so I'll test it on the road then. But so you know, it's connecting to 10 out of 22 satellites. I applied the fix from gps status but also used another app called gps fix so who knows which one did the trick....lol.

zamajalo
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar214 View Post
Thanks zamajalo. I think that may have worked but I didn't test it by going for a drive. But I do have to go into town tomorrow so I'll test it on the road then. But so you know, it's connecting to 10 out of 22 satellites. I applied the fix from gps status but also used another app called gps fix so who knows which one did the trick....lol.
I usually have a lock on 8 to 10 satellites on open, so that's pretty much OK. If you get a location fix, there should be no more problems.

cougar214
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Yeah it did the location fix but it said something about it only lasting a couple days?

zamajalo
Old
Thanks Meter 7
What exactly? I've never seen that message on my phone or others.

cougar214
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
When it downloads the extra content for the gps fix. it gives some disclaimer about how it may only last a couple days before having to download the content again. But it doesn't matter. It didn't work. It kept dropping the gps signal every two minutes and the screen would hardly refresh and show the direction properly. It just sits on the starting screen(your starting point), tells me how far down the road to go, then drops signal, doesn't give you directions anymore, and when it finally does pick up the gps signal it takes forever for it to "recalculate" your position. Oh and losing the signal again. Did I mention losing the signal?....lol

This happened with 4.1.2 also so it leads me to believe it's not a software issue but rather a hardware issue. I:E LG sucks for gps!

The Following User Says Thank You to cougar214 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]