Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,666 Members 39,873 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ADB Can't Read Sideload

Tip us?

UpsideDownAce
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] ADB Can't Read Sideload

So, I've been trying to force over the 4.2 update to my N7 with adb. And every time I try to sideload the update, I get "adb cann't ready sideload"

I don't understand why it won't work. Every other adb command works fine. I'm on rev. 21 for sdk tools and 16 for platform tools. I literally just downloaded the SDK.

Any ideas?

uncleswoop
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsideDownAce View Post
So, I've been trying to force over the 4.2 update to my N7 with adb. And every time I try to sideload the update, I get "adb cann't ready sideload"

I don't understand why it won't work. Every other adb command works fine. I'm on rev. 21 for sdk tools and 16 for platform tools. I literally just downloaded the SDK.

Any ideas?
I've been wondering the same thing.... No one seems to know or care to help. Bump this post...

ducatic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleswoop View Post
I've been wondering the same thing.... No one seems to know or care to help. Bump this post...
Just to be sure, you've apply sideload from adb in the recovery, correct?

Schwacker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatic View Post
Just to be sure, you've apply sideload from adb in the recovery, correct?
I'm in the same boat! I tried, today, several times to sideload the update but I'm constantly getting the cannot read sideload error message. I guess I'm off to other sites to see what the fix is.

fac851
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I had this problem too, but solved it this way:

Place the file you're trying to sideload is in the same adb directory, f.i. C:\Android
And when in the CMD window, change the active directory to this directory before you type: adb sideload [name of file]

So:
- run CMD window

- change your active directory to adb C:\Android
Code:
cd\
cd android
- type:
Code:
adb devices
(List of devices should indicate a number of the connected device)

- type:
Code:
adb sideload [name of file]
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fac851 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fede01_8
Old
Thanks Meter 2
YES! i have found the solution. i just registered to share it to anyone with the same problem. i spend HOURS and HOURS, literally sweat and frustation like i've never experienced before to update this POS. i was ready to smash my one week old Nexus 7.
the solution is so simple and stupid that i want to smash my forehead on my keyboard.
i was using this video as a guide to manually update the N7 youtube /watch?v=iQhyerPfGes
what it doesn't say is that you DON'T HAVE TO UNZIP THE FIRMWARE!!!

You have to issue the command from the platform-tools folder (or the directory in which adb.exe resides). Right-click n the folder window and choose "open command prompt here." Then type

Quote:
adb sideload 094f6629314a.signed-nakasi-JOP40C-from-JZO54K.094f6629.zip
remember, don't unzip the firmware

my Nexus 7 still doesn't finish the update because it say something about an error, but that's another problem

but at least i'm not getting "cannot read sideload" anymore
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fede01_8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Master Gowa
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I might be just an idiot but why are you guys trying to SideLoad a system update?

AFAIK... sideload is merely to install apps into your rom that Jellybean or the Playstore doesn't like.

I think you guys want to use "ADB Fastboot" commands instead. Get a guide before you attempt to do this though. I used Wugs Toolkit to install the bootloader from 4.2.2 update.

fac51void
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fede01_8 View Post
true

For clarity:

- adb sideload can used for installing zip updates from PC, as an alternative for using the ROM/recovery manager on your tablet/phone.
Code:
adb sideload update.zip
- fastboot flash is used for installing img files to a specific partition (boot, recovery, system)
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img

cloudbyday90
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac851 View Post

Place the file you're trying to sideload is in the same adb directory, f.i. C:\Android
And when in the CMD window, change the active directory to this directory before you type: adb sideload [name of file]

So:
- run CMD window

Code:
cd\
cd android
- type:
Code:
adb devices

- type:
Code:
Thank you!!! Spending hours trying to figure it out, so simple. Although not sure why the toolkit didn't work, but using CMD did work.

teaclarke
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fac851 View Post

So:
- run CMD window

Code:
cd\
cd android
- type:
Code:
adb devices

- type:
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fede01_8 View Post
YES! i have found the solution. i just registered to share it to anyone with the same problem. i spend HOURS and HOURS, literally sweat and frustation like i've never experienced before to update this POS. i was ready to smash my one week old Nexus 7.
the solution is so simple and stupid that i want to smash my forehead on my keyboard.
i was using this video as a guide to manually update the N7 youtube /watch?v=iQhyerPfGes

You have to issue the command from the platform-tools folder (or the directory in which adb.exe resides). Right-click n the folder window and choose "open command prompt here." Then type

remember, don't unzip the firmware

my Nexus 7 still doesn't finish the update because it say something about an error, but that's another problem

but at least i'm not getting "cannot read sideload" anymore
I've tried both of these, I still get the cannot read sideload FML why is this keep happening?