Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 48,077 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WARNING! Do not update to 8.1 if your phone is CDMA

Tip us?

reker
Old
(Last edited by reker; 14th April 2014 at 04:51 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140

DONATE TO ME
Exclamation WARNING! Do not update to 8.1 if your phone is CDMA

HTC 8X/8S
HUAWEI W1
Confirmed brick after 8.1 developer update with CDMA network.

Lumia 822 Verizon
Confirmed no problem if you use GSM/WCDMA.

If you have already bricked your phone, try this:
1.Power down phone by pressing Power button.
2.Press Power button and Volume +/- button at the same time, phone will go to flash mode.
3.Press Camera button for 5 seconds to power off your phone.
4.insert a GSM/WCDMA SIM card in your phone and turn on phone.

It seems that 8.1 not compatible with CDMA SIM card.
HTC Touch Pro->HTC Mozart->HTC HD7->Dell Venue Pro->HTC HD2->Lumia 800->Lumia 720T->Huawei W1->Lumia 822->Lumia 525

My Twitter: @rekerchen
My small tools:
Music Hub Tile
rkBreakout - Huawei W1 Jailbreak tool
WP7Connector - Connect your phone easily & smartly
Call forwarding Settings - Advanced settings for WP7
or Hire me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

starsoccer9
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by reker View Post
HTC 8X/8S
HUAWEI W1
Confirmed brick after 8.1 developer update with CDMA network.

Lumia 822 Verizon
Confirmed no problem if you use GSM/WCDMA.

If you have already bricked your phone, try this:
1.Power down phone by pressing Power button.
2.Press Power button and Volume +/- button at the same time, phone will go to flash mode.
3.Press Camera button for 5 seconds to power off your phone.
4.insert a GSM/WCDMA SIM card in your phone and turn on phone.

It seems that 8.1 not compatible with CDMA SIM card.
I have it on my htc 8xt and its working fine. Well I am having lockscreen issues but the network is working fine for me on sprint.

life25ak
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsoccer9 View Post
I have it on my htc 8xt and its working fine. Well I am having lockscreen issues but the network is working fine for me on sprint.
the problem with me no wifi
no mobile data

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2637
That is so far from something you could call a "brick" it's not funny. "Brick" means un-recoverable. If you can "un-brick" something without diassembling it or at least using hardware a normal user couldn't have access to, it's not a brick!

Also, has anybody else actually had this problem? A few people seem to indicate that they have *not*...
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

tonbonz
Old
Thanks Meter 44
No problems what-so-ever updating and running on my Odyssey...other than taking forever to download and install.

roycio
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Working fine in my Lumia Icon from Verizon.

fgr
Old
(Last edited by fgr; 15th April 2014 at 04:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 291
Default No cellular data after hard reset

I by no means have a brick, but I do now have an issue. Here’s what happened.

I have a Sprint ATIV S Neo, GDR3, Interop-unlock, the whole deal.
Installed the 8.1 update yesterday, and everything was working. I have been playing with all kinds of “stuff” in the registry and such, so I decided that since I had just installed 8.1 I would start fresh and do a hard reset. I don’t really care about keeping interop-unlock at this point. Even with it, so much is still locked down. I’m sure in the future someone will get this cracked and we can really have fun, but until then, just being developer unlocked is good enough.

So, when I got home I reset the phone (power+volume down, exclamation point, then the remaining sequence).

Phone boots back up, and I connect to my WiFi and set everything back up. I think life is wonderful at this point. Then decide to test my 4G download speed so I turn off wifi.

Oops, no cellular data, phone calls and text are fine (didn’t try mms, but probably doesn’t work, blank url in the provisioning). Tried all the usual tricks (##72786# and such). I have my msl, so I go into the provisioning, and things look messed up. My MDN and MSID are 000003872. That makes no sense, so I set them back to the correct values and still no go.

Called Sprint. They ran me through all the usual things that I had already done (hour on the phone with them).

Long story short: The activation program seems to be missing from my phone. Hands free activation never tries to start, in fact, after hard resetting again and watching closely, during setup it says “Activate your device can’t be opened”. And the network settings are missing from the settings menu.

So after work I’m going to take it to Sprint and hopefully they have a factory image they can flash (hopefully an older version so I can update things myself).

My thinking is that the 8.1 update is basically the new rom, but during install doesn't delete the existing carrier programs. When I hard reset, all that got re-installed was the strictly Microsoft stuff, not the carrier specific items i.e. hands free activation.

PS Sorry about the novel...

Sprint HTC One M8

Sprint Ativ S Neo

Sprint Galaxy S4

reker
Old
(Last edited by reker; 15th April 2014 at 08:32 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
That is so far from something you could call a "brick" it's not funny. "Brick" means un-recoverable. If you can "un-brick" something without diassembling it or at least using hardware a normal user couldn't have access to, it's not a brick!

Also, has anybody else actually had this problem? A few people seem to indicate that they have *not*...
HTC confirmed this yesterday, they awared the problem and contacting with MS. Announcement by HTC China
The problem covered both HTC 8s(A620D) and 8x(C620d)

8X/8S have similar but more serious problem with gdr1 - gdr2 upgrade last year, even can't boot into SPL.
By the way, to normal users, if their phone turn into black screen and can't boot, it's a brick. No one will care about if it's a real brick, what they know is: I can't use my phone, it's not working, just like a brick.
HTC Touch Pro->HTC Mozart->HTC HD7->Dell Venue Pro->HTC HD2->Lumia 800->Lumia 720T->Huawei W1->Lumia 822->Lumia 525

My Twitter: @rekerchen
My small tools:
Music Hub Tile
rkBreakout - Huawei W1 Jailbreak tool
WP7Connector - Connect your phone easily & smartly
Call forwarding Settings - Advanced settings for WP7
or Hire me.

fatdata
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgr View Post

Installed the 8.1 update yesterday, and everything was working. I have been playing with all kinds of “stuff” in the registry and such, so I decided that since I had just installed 8.1 I would start fresh and do a hard reset. I don’t really care about keeping interop-unlock at this point. Even with it, so much is still locked down. I’m sure in the future someone will get this cracked and we can really have fun, but until then, just being developer unlocked is good enough.

So, when I got home I reset the phone (power+volume down, exclamation point, then the remaining sequence).

Phone boots back up, and I connect to my WiFi and set everything back up. I think life is wonderful at this point. Then decide to test my 4G download speed so I turn off wifi.

Oops, no cellular data, phone calls and text are fine (didn’t try mms, but probably doesn’t work, blank url in the provisioning). Tried all the usual tricks (##72786# and such). I have my msl, so I go into the provisioning, and things look messed up. My MDN and MSID are 000003872. That makes no sense, so I set them back to the correct values and still no go.

Called Sprint. They ran me through all the usual things that I had already done (hour on the phone with them).

Long story short: The activation program seems to be missing from my phone. Hands free activation never tries to start, in fact, after hard resetting again and watching closely, during setup it says “Activate your device can’t be opened”. And the network settings are missing from the settings menu.

So after work I’m going to take it to Sprint and hopefully they have a factory image they can flash (hopefully an older version so I can update things myself).

My thinking is that the 8.1 update is basically the new rom, but during install doesn't delete the existing carrier programs. When I hard reset, all that got re-installed was the strictly Microsoft stuff, not the carrier specific items i.e. hands free activation.

i got the same issue with my ativ s.
everything works except mobile data.

is there some settings i can try since i didnt do a hard reset but the normal reset from the phones "about" menu.
my network is WIND greece.

iknowsingh
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgr View Post

No need to apologize for the novel! I did the SAME exact thing as you (except I hard resetted via settings > about > more info > reset your phone). Luckily I know my MSL, and have my MSID handy. I wiped my settings by doing ##72786# and selecting ok twice. I rebooted my phone manually and then went to the 'activate my device' app in settings. It did what looked like a profile update and it said my phone was successfully activated with my phone number listed.

I can browse the web on Sprint's network, make/receive calls and send/receive texts. The only thing I can't figure out to fix is MMS. I can't get or send picture mail, group texts or any kind of MMS at all.

I've managed to get my coworkers settings from his ATIV S Neo but I can't figure out how to edit them on my phone. Going into ##3282# doesn't let me edit things that deeply.

From what I've heard on other forums is that we're basically SOL unless Sprint releases their firmware updates and their release of 8.1 soon (which they have confirmed they will do this summer).

I figured from the get go when this started yesterday that this 8.1 release doesn't seem to properly support CDMA and judging by how many people have this issue, I was correct. Microsoft really needs to work better on the CDMA side of things.
Sprint Samsung ATIV S Neo (SPH-I800)
// proud supporter of Windows Phone