Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,614 Members 41,166 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows phone 8.1 developer preview

Tip us?

negaboys
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Phone Windows phone 8.1 developer preview

Windows phone 8.1 developer preview is released and anyone can install the developer copy.
http://www.negablog.com/2014/04/wind...r-preview.html

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2645
... this needed its own thread... why, exactly? I mean, has there been a single thread on this part of the forum today that *wasn't* about 8.1?
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdockster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
ok
So this might be the stupidest question you've ever heard.
But is there any way to install wp8.1 on android hardware?
So is there anyway of installing it on my Xperia Z
Just had to ask this because in a big big fan of wp.

dazza9075
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 442

DONATE TO ME
Your right, it was 😉 but even more interesting is its not the first time I've heard it, search an you'll find them too 😁

Sent from my GT-I8750 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
Please Click Thanks below if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star
Please click Here to donate to
XDA-Developers
The Following User Says Thank You to dazza9075 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xdockster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
As of now Microsoft has made it possible to run wp8.1 on same hardware so is there a way to install this developer preview on my device?
Or will there ever be a way.?

mcosmin222
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdockster View Post
As of now Microsoft has made it possible to run wp8.1 on same hardware so is there a way to install this developer preview on my device?
Or will there ever be a way.?
If you are such a huge fan of windows phone why don't you buy one, like the rest of us?

vasuy19
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Windows phone 8.1 is awesome. I am using it

xdockster
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcosmin222 View Post
If you are such a huge fan of windows phone why don't you buy one, like the rest of us?
Hey man,i would love to... But unfortunately i used all my funds on xperia......
So if you find a way to install it on xperia please tell me.

agonzalez1010
Old
(Last edited by agonzalez1010; 13th June 2014 at 07:19 AM.) Reason: Removal of Thread.
Thanks Meter 5

cybermiguel
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by agonzalez1010 View Post
I just converted to Windows Phone 8. I'm rocking a T-Mobile Nokia Lumina 925. I have experience using both Android and iOS. For some reason the simplicity of WP8 has made me "content" with using it.

A few things I just wanted to note. Perhaps someone here can answer the questions if he or she has it.
1. SMS Transfers (While I was able to successfully move my SMS messages using the Nokia Transfer App on my Nexus 5, iOS is a different Story. When I run it against iOS is recognizes the texts but says there is 0, when there a lot more then that.

2. USB Streaming in the car. (I have a USB port in my 2010 Chevy Cruze. While I was able to stream anything from Pandora to Tune IN off my iPhone, the Nexus 5 couldn't do this. I had to resort to using the AUX port, but the sound quality was lousy. I wanted to know if there was an app or something that may allow me to use my USB port on my WP8 phone

3. YouTube. (I had no clue why Google has been not friendly in allowing a native YouTube app on WP8. I do find alternatives in Windows Marketplace, but I would like a suggestion of one that is the best one to use)

4. Apple TV (Now I know folks will probably laugh their ass off, but is there an app that would let me stream content to it. If not is there a device I can purchase that can?)

5. WP8 Info (Unfortunately unlike Android, there isn't much of anything on XDA that talks about WP8. Are their known websites {don't freaking tell me to google it} that has more info on the OS.

6. Google Now (again another laugh your ass moment, but I really liked those darn cards. The one in particular was giving me a travel time from my home to work and vise versa. Is there an app that can do that in the WP8 Store?)

7.Battery Life (I'm amazed at the battery life of this thing. It's lasted longer then iOS and Android but I miss not being able to see how much percent I have left. Again the WP8 store had a dime of dozen apps for this, but i'm looking for a good recommendation on one that I can use.)

8. OWA. (There was an app I was using with the Nexus 5 called 'FASTOWA'. It let me logon to my corp Exchange account using OWA where I can quickly look at messages. The company doesn't allow ActiveSync so this work around was pretty much what I used. Is their an app alternative for this on WP8)

Again Thanks in Advance for posting some answers. I know there will be some smirk comments about this, but those who do happen to come upon this thread and give me real answers, I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Angel
1.- No idea about SMS transfers. Maybe iOS has its own storage system for storing sms.

2.- What do you mean by USB Streaming? Maybe you're confused, as the iPhone dock also has an analog line-out and can stream audio out of it. In Windows Phone, as well as in Android, you don't have that dock port as it's an Apple proprietary port. You're stuck with line out, which is not bad at all if you have a good cable and set it correctly.

3.- Currently, the best YouTube app for Windows Phone is MetroTube (which costs US$ 0.99). The other good app is YouTube HD (which is free). Both of them gives you great functionality and many options.

4.- Apple TV uses their own proprietary streaming system called AirPlay, while Nokia and every other phone manufacturer uses DLNA (which is a standard by the way). If you want your Apple TV to stream content from your phone (whether it's Windows Phone, Android, Blackberry, whatever), you need to download an app to your Apple TV device to work as a DLNA device. Once you've done that, you can easily stream content from your Nokia phone using Nokia Play To. (which uses DLNA)

5.- WPCentral is a good site with info. XDA forums are good as well.

6.- No idea as I have never used Google now myself. Sorry.

7.- You can use This or This app to see the phone battery percentage. Windows Phone 8.1 will show percentage on the notifications bar.

8.- There should be no problem at all configuring your enterprise account as "Exchange server" on the accounts settings.

Hope this post was helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to cybermiguel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
microsoft, nega blog, windowsphone 8