Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Your opinion on ART???
I'm using it and i love it 17 32.69%
I will surely use it soon 26 50.00%
i have used it, had some issues 7 13.46%
I'm happy with Dalvik, not interested with ART 2 3.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Noobs guide to ART (Android Run time) -- written by a Noob..:P

Tip us?

raminjpr
Old
(Last edited by raminjpr; 30th December 2013 at 03:52 PM.) Reason: Update in Post added..:)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 178

DONATE TO ME
Angry Noobs guide to ART (Android Run time) -- written by a Noob..:P

Noob's guide to ART(Android Run time)

NOTE: This post is only for noobs, I haven't done any research on ART to talk technically about it, I'm just Zero at Codes...:P If anyone feels that I missed something important about it, you can write about it in comments (if it's easy, i will answer....if it's hard, i will wait for the answer too..:P)

This post is written based on all the information I've read online,

ART --> Android Run time is considered to be the Dalvik V 2.0

Usually, We've been using Dalvik for Android command execution usually ... but with Android 4.4, Google tried to introduce the newer version of Dalvik --- which is popularly called as ART..(Take it as Dalvik 2.0)

----------------

What is Dalvik and ART???

I must say it's something technical(I'm not a Dev/Programmer to explain perfectly), but in layman's term i can explain...

Usually Android Programs are written in Java, then converted to Java machine compatible code , which are finally converted to Dalvik compatible files, before installing into the Android device...thus Dalvik is been used till date for the running of apps..

Thus Dalvik has the control over the Speed of RAM, Storage and CPU floating operations..

So ART is basically "Dalvik 2.0" -- >> Obviously with ART the speed is improved by 10-20% over Dalvik..... Thus with the ART Evolution your phone will be no more laggy

This is the prime reason why people are moving to ART now..

------------------

ART seems really good....So is there any Cons on installing ART???

Yeah ART is really good in terms of speed, saves memory...etc.etc..but just remember, ART is still in development stage and some apps are incompatible with ART, also some apps Force closes(FC) on ART, if your favorite app is incompatible, obviously you will move to Dalvik..So even Google warns users before installing it, because of the incompatibility with some apps, but no worry, if you don't like it, you can come back to Dalvik again.

How can i know whether the particular App is compatible with ART??

There is luckily a website, which gives the complete list of compatible and incompatible apps of ART (check the below link)
ART Compatible Apps List

How to Activate ART?
ART currently works in Android 4.4+ , go to the Settings ---> Developer options ---> (check for section named APPS) Select Runtime ---> Select the "Use ART" ---> Accept all the warnings --- it will reboot ur system ---> now go back to the developer options and check whether ur runtime is ART ...Enjoy..

If you can't see developer options (in your mobile settings) --->> go to the About phone --->> Click the build number 5-7 times ---> "Now you've become a Developer" tadaa..:P :P LOL

Conclusion on ART:
ART is the next gen of Dalvik, so obviously it will be fast and efficient...but just take note that it's still in Experimental stage, so be prepared to see some FC's and incompatibilities, but when you compare the CONS, still ART wins because of the smoothness...but still it's an individual preference...choose wisely..

UPDATE (30-12-13):

Better Explanation of ART by fellow XDA User: Souldrinker

Well, I'd say it's not really dalvik 2.0, but rather another approach to running the apps. Dalvik uses JIT (just-in-time) compilation which uses less memory when run (since only parts of the apps are compiled from byte code and read into memory at a time) and less space on the phone memory. ART on the other hands precompiles the apps to native code upon install, making the install take longer and use more space, but then goes faster and lighter on the cpu and reduces "micro-lag" since there's no need to jit compile, but is heavier on the memory.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel Free to give your comments on this Thread...It's sole intention is to help the newbie's and also to avoid the repeated questions...I believe this post is straight forward and up-to the point.. If you like this post...just bomb the Thanks Button once..
HTC One X 32 GB White (Endeavoru) --- Next Kernel --- Android 4.4.2

Motorola Xoom 3G (Everest) --- Stock Kernel --- TWRP 2.6.3.0 Big Part repartition --- Android 4.4.2 Omni Rom Alpha Unofficial[/I][/B]

If you like my post/comment/thread...Feel free to PRESS the THANKS Button...[/CENTER]
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to raminjpr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NickDunn
Old
Thanks Meter 436
Thanks mate.
Thank you guys for everything you shared.

Rom: ViperX ROM by Team Venom.
Kernel: Default
Currently: ViperX4.0.6 or CM11 by Thömy.

Hboot 1.72 & S-OFF.
The Following User Says Thank You to NickDunn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

parkentosh
Old
Thanks Meter 64
I've been using ART since CM11 release (tested Dalvik too) and I have to admit that it is pretty smooth and stable. Apps load faster. Phone boots faster. Some apps seem to be causing less heat than on Dalvik. I have around 60 apps installed from play store and all of them seem to work (No FC's).
----------------------------------------------
Devices:
Motorola Xoom mz601 TeamEOS - The Revival rom
HTC One X using AOSB
The Following User Says Thank You to parkentosh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Souldrinker
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Well, I'd say it's not really dalvik 2.0, but rather another approach to running the apps. Dalvik uses JIT (just-in-time) compilation which uses less memory when run (since only parts of the apps are compiled from byte code and read into memory at a time) and less space on the phone memory. ART on the other hands precompiles the apps to native code upon install, making the install take longer and use more space, but then goes faster and lighter on the cpu and reduces "micro-lag" since there's no need to jit compile, but is heavier on the memory. Here's a good comparison: http://www.infinum.co/the-capsized-e...ime-in-kit-kat

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Souldrinker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

One-M8-Master
Old
Thanks Meter 2192
deleted because already mentioned one post above haha...
Its simple read before asking and use the search button and always be thankful its FREE!!!

Devices : HTC HD2 (Sold/broken), HTC One X (has my sister now), HTC One M8 (current) (changing roms always after few weeks of use and testing)

raminjpr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 178

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up Thanks a lot for your valuable comment on ART ..:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldrinker View Post
Well, I'd say it's not really dalvik 2.0, but rather another approach to running the apps. Dalvik uses JIT (just-in-time) compilation which uses less memory when run (since only parts of the apps are compiled from byte code and read into memory at a time) and less space on the phone memory. ART on the other hands precompiles the apps to native code upon install, making the install take longer and use more space, but then goes faster and lighter on the cpu and reduces "micro-lag" since there's no need to jit compile, but is heavier on the memory. Here's a good comparison: http://www.infinum.co/the-capsized-e...ime-in-kit-kat

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
As I said earlier, i'm a newbie to Android...but i love to explore it ...Your comment will be really helpful for the Readers here...Thanks for sharing...

If I've done mistake in the post, feel free to add your comment...

Motorola Xoom 3G (Everest) --- Stock Kernel --- TWRP 2.6.3.0 Big Part repartition --- Android 4.4.2 Omni Rom Alpha Unofficial[/I][/B]

If you like my post/comment/thread...Feel free to PRESS the THANKS Button...[/CENTER]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to raminjpr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AkFatherof4nCounting
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Noob question, and sorry if I missed it in your OP, is it only implemented in 4.4? Is it something that can be used with say, 4.3.1?

One-M8-Master
Old
Thanks Meter 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkFatherof4nCounting View Post
Noob question, and sorry if I missed it in your OP, is it only implemented in 4.4? Is it something that can be used with say, 4.3.1?
only in 4.4 and only will be there!
Its simple read before asking and use the search button and always be thankful its FREE!!!

Devices : HTC HD2 (Sold/broken), HTC One X (has my sister now), HTC One M8 (current) (changing roms always after few weeks of use and testing)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to One-M8-Master For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AkFatherof4nCounting
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Thank you, I can't wait to try it out once the new 4.4 roms stabilize.

raminjpr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 178

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up ART is soon gonna dominate Android...:)

Read some news online saying that ART is gonna replace Dalvik completely...It's gonna happen very soon, which sounds great as ART is better than Dalvik in every way and if it's gonna be compatible with every thing, it's gonna be great...

Few more steps for ART evolution...it's not gonna take a long time...wait for few weeks/month..

Tags
art runtime