Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,779 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SCH-i605 (Note 2) 4.4.2 update and still root?

Tip us?

mkobella
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] SCH-i605 (Note 2) 4.4.2 update and still root?

I have been searching all over to find any information on this new kitkat update for the Note 2. I haven't found much. I think the main thing I found was Knox 2.0 or whatever. Is it possible, or is anyone working on a way to at least get root back on here? I didn't do the update yet, but it's bugging me. I would like kitkat and I like this phone, but samsung/verizon locking this thing down is driving me nuts. To the point that I want to sell this phone. So yeah, is anyone aware of any information on the 4.4.2 update and the possibilities to root it at least. I don't even care to install ROMS.

Vernox701
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Default S5 rooted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkobella View Post
I have been searching all over to find any information on this new kitkat update for the Note 2. I haven't found much. I think the main thing I found was Knox 2.0 or whatever. Is it possible, or is anyone working on a way to at least get root back on here? I didn't do the update yet, but it's bugging me. I would like kitkat and I like this phone, but samsung/verizon locking this thing down is driving me nuts. To the point that I want to sell this phone. So yeah, is anyone aware of any information on the 4.4.2 update and the possibilities to root it at least. I don't even care to install ROMS.
Galaxy S5 just rooted maybe this will work for Note2 after 4.4.2 update

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...88&postcount=1

michigan66
Old
Thanks Meter 121
I think it's worth trying for everyone without root. Seems to be successful on several different phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mkobella
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah I'm just not sure I want to let this update go through just to find out it fails and I'm stuck locked down. Is anyone willing to try? Or has tried? I guess I may have to be the first.

dpeck411
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mkobella I'm in the same boat as you... I've been lurking waiting to see if towel root will work for the 4.4.2 update... I'm on 4.3 and not going to lose my root... If you check it out please report back... It would be awesome if someone who took the kit Kat update could try it out

Vernox701
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeck411 View Post
Mkobella I'm in the same boat as you... I've been lurking waiting to see if towel root will work for the 4.4.2 update... I'm on 4.3 and not going to lose my root... If you check it out please report back... It would be awesome if someone who took the kit Kat update could try it out
Looks like it doesn't work currently maybe something will be available in the upcoming days
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=548

dpeck411
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thats unfortunate, has anyone else given it a try?

mkobella
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yeah this is unfortunate. I would try it if I could flash back to 4.3. Has anyone attempted that? I would gladly chip in and help with this, but I'm new and don't know much about rooting and what not. If there are people working on it I would like to find them.

mkobella
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So... I can confirm that this root does not work for the VZW Galaxy note II running the latest update 4.4.2 (ND7). I tried it several times. Not sure if I am doing anything wrong, but from what I gathered, its pretty straight forward. Just run the app. Also, I can tell you that once you download the OTA you WILL NOT be able to go back to a previous version. I tried to Odin back to MJ9 4.3 and that failed. So, essentially, once you do the kitkat update, you're screwed, and stuck. I can't root, can't go back now. Hopefully someone else can figure this out. Or chime in?

godbob
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Please try these steps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2784138

Rooted wife's S4. Ran towelroot. Tried the play store supersu but it couldn't install su binaries so I thought it wasn't rooted until I tried an app that needed root. It got root via supersu even tho it kept complaining about binaries. I then followed the steps in that post and the phone is now rooted with safestrap.

Also try app called root checker from play store.