[Q] Battery overcharging

Search This thread

Peppyk

Jun 22, 2014
Hello.

With Current Widget I measured voltage during charging... In 100% it is over 4.35V what is, I think overcharged, because Li-po or Li-ion have max voltage 4.2V per cell. I have rooted phone, but stock ROM and stock kernel. Can rooted firmware change charge specs. or this is way how SONY damaging their batteries so people have to buy every year/two new phone or new battery?

Thanks for answers.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
It's 0.15V of difference, it do not hurts or anything. Sony do not plan to ruin your phone. You are just paranoid on Stock Rom...LOL...

Peppyk

Jun 22, 2014
I'm working with Li-po batteries in RC planes and I can tell you, that 0.15V overcharged can significantly decrease life of your battery. But it is easy way how to increase capacity of battery, but it is very bad way.
So, those limits are controlled by Kernel, yes?? And when I flashed different FW to root my phone, it didn't changed kernel, so I probably has stock kernel?? Thats the main question for me, because with previous experiences I rather stay at stock kernel and stock ROM before flashing anything custom.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
I'm working with Li-po batteries in RC planes and I can tell you, that 0.15V overcharged can significantly decrease life of your battery. But it is easy way how to increase capacity of battery, but it is very bad way.

Ok, also you should know that the test where you get from that 0.15V can be non Right.

So, those limits are controlled by Kernel, yes??

Don't know.

And when I flashed different FW to root my phone, it didn't changed kernel, so I probably has stock kernel??

Yes.

Thats the main question for me, because with previous experiences I rather stay at stock kernel and stock ROM before flashing anything custom.

You can stay on Stock Rom and flash a Custom Kernel, for that you have to Unlock Your Bootloader, and play with the settings or anything to undervolt the charging, but I think is not that simple.

Reactions: Peppyk

Wiltron

On more than one occasion I've seen you post and give horrible information, in most cases, very wrong because you don't know any better. If you don't know something, DON'T COMMENT ON IT.

0.15V is a big difference when it comes to batteries as small as ours. In a car battery, sure, 0.15V isn't that big of a deal, it's less than 0.01% of a difference, something that can naturally occur with impurities in the lead/acid components, magnetic shift or hitting a speed bump too fast. However, on a battery the size that's in our phones? That's a 3% difference. 3% variance is MASSIVE in relative sizes.

I'm not saying don't help anyone, but don't fake answers in hopes someone clicks your thanks button.

On topic:

In the past, have you flashed a 3rd party kernel at any time, for fun or testing, or for daily driver use? (Even if you're stock now)

How are you plugging the device in - USB port on a computer? USB port on the side of a surge protector? If it's a computer port, is it USB 2 or 3?

Are you using the stock charging block and stock cable that came with the phone? A 3rd party solution like Belkin, etc.?

If you have access to one, plug into a car cigarette lighter, either Sony or 3rd party, do you see a change in the overcharge values? What about a magnetic charging cable?

Have you opened up the phone and tinkered with anything?

Reactions: Tijmen

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
Hello.

With Current Widget I measured voltage during charging... In 100% it is over 4.35V what is, I think overcharged, because Li-po or Li-ion have max voltage 4.2V per cell. I have rooted phone, but stock ROM and stock kernel. Can rooted firmware change charge specs. or this is way how SONY damaging their batteries so people have to buy every year/two new phone or new battery?

Thanks for answers.

The only way you're going to be sure if that voltage is accurate is if you use a multi meter, apps only read what the phone reads and outputs, which isn't always accurate, try getting CPUZ HW monitor for your computer and check your 12V rail, you'll find that it's nowhere near accurate whereas other apps will give an accurate reading, with this being the case there is no way of knowing which one is accurate and which one isn't, a multi meter is the only way. But in all fairness you're probably going to be using your phone for around 2 years so with that in mind does it really matter?

Reactions: eclyptos

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
The only way you're going to be sure if that voltage is accurate is if you use a multi meter, apps only read what the phone reads and outputs, which isn't always accurate, try getting CPUZ HW monitor for your computer and check your 12V rail, you'll find that it's nowhere near accurate whereas other apps will give an accurate reading, with this being the case there is no way of knowing which one is accurate and which one isn't, a multi meter is the only way. But in all fairness you're probably going to be using your phone for around 2 years so with that in mind does it really matter?

Thank you.

Reactions: dlads

dlads

Aug 24, 2010
Liverpool
Nothing Phone 2
On more than one occasion I've seen you post and give horrible information, in most cases, very wrong because you don't know any better. If you don't know something, DON'T COMMENT ON IT.

0.15V is a big difference when it comes to batteries as small as ours. In a car battery, sure, 0.15V isn't that big of a deal, it's less than 0.01% of a difference, something that can naturally occur with impurities in the lead/acid components, magnetic shift or hitting a speed bump too fast. However, on a battery the size that's in our phones? That's a 3% difference. 3% variance is MASSIVE in relative sizes.

I'm not saying don't help anyone, but don't fake answers in hopes someone clicks your thanks button.

Take it easy dude, on more than one occasion i've seen him give perfect advice and to keep things real i've seen mods and elite developers make bad decisions and give bad advice out because they simply thought they knew, give him a break eh! Theres ways of saying things to people if you have a problem, like not doing it publicly, if you voice your concerns properly then no harm no foul, personally if you'd have just said that to me i'd be annoyed.

Just a heads up.

And as i've already said about the voltage offsets which have been talked about, in all fairness it's a negligent difference and won't matter in the overall scheme of things.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Ok, also you should know that the test where you get from that 0.15V can be non Right.

So, those limits are controlled by Kernel, yes??

Don't know.

And when I flashed different FW to root my phone, it didn't changed kernel, so I probably has stock kernel??

Yes.

Thats the main question for me, because with previous experiences I rather stay at stock kernel and stock ROM before flashing anything custom.

You can stay on Stock Rom and flash a Custom Kernel, for that you have to Unlock Your Bootloader, and play with the settings or anything to undervolt the charging, but I think is not that simple.

On topic:

In the past, have you flashed a 3rd party kernel at any time, for fun or testing, or for daily driver use? (Even if you're stock now)

How are you plugging the device in - USB port on a computer? USB port on the side of a surge protector? If it's a computer port, is it USB 2 or 3?

Are you using the stock charging block and stock cable that came with the phone? A 3rd party solution like Belkin, etc.?

If you have access to one, plug into a car cigarette lighter, either Sony or 3rd party, do you see a change in the overcharge values? What about a magnetic charging cable?

Have you opened up the phone and tinkered with anything?
    Hello.

Thanks for answers.

Thank you.