Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,747 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Now: Limited Voice Feedback

Tip us?

randun
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default Google Now: Limited Voice Feedback

(Mods: If this subject is already being covered in another thread in this section please move. )

I'm curious as to what other user's experience is with Google Now, specifically in providing voice answers to questions asked.

For example, I tried the phrase seen on the TV commercial, "What is glossophobia". The response is voice, ie "glossophobia is..." When I tried this, I simply got a search screen of results.

I do receive voice responses for simple questions like "What's the weather? but nothing 'complicated'.

Suggestions, ideas, etc. TX

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
RD
Using the Samsung Galaxy S III (SGH-I7477) by AT&T.

drichter12
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by randun View Post
(Mods: If this subject is already being covered in another thread in this section please move. )

I'm curious as to what other user's experience is with Google Now, specifically in providing voice answers to questions asked.

For example, I tried the phrase seen on the TV commercial, "What is glossophobia". The response is voice, ie "glossophobia is..." When I tried this, I simply got a search screen of results.

I do receive voice responses for simple questions like "What's the weather? but nothing 'complicated'.

Suggestions, ideas, etc. TX

Funny! I did the exact same thing when I saw that commercial. I got the same result as you and was about to do a Google search on it to find out why it wasn't working the same as the commercial when I ran across this post.
Dale

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 - 32GB (SGH-I337)
Rom: AT&T Stock 4.4.2 - I337UCUFNB1
Radio: AT&T Stock UCUFNB1

LZLandingZone
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Go to settings, then voice, then click on speak output, and select always. Should solve your problem.

Edit: When on Google Now, of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

drichter12
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZLandingZone View Post
Go to settings, then voice, then click on speak output, and select always. Should solve your problem.

That was one of the first things I tried.... Also wiped data/cache and re-configured with same results.
Dale

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 - 32GB (SGH-I337)
Rom: AT&T Stock 4.4.2 - I337UCUFNB1
Radio: AT&T Stock UCUFNB1

randun
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZLandingZone View Post

Thanks for the tip but I've had that setting ticked as you described from the beginning, and yes, in Google Now.

RD

randun
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Updated both Now & Search. Placed both widgets on my home screen. Asked the glossophobia question again using both & got voice results on both! Tried an experiment. Removed the Search widget & opened Now & asked the question again....NO voice results.

Huh!?

RD

TEC602
Old
Thanks Meter 6
sorry to bring up this old thread but if anyone knows if there is a clear set of search words to allow google now to talk back it would be helpful. it seems very particular on what you speak into the "ok google" voice search function to get a vpice response. thanks