Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,192 Members 37,025 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bricked Asus Transformer TF101 B80 - Tried everything...

Tip us?

bArDBQ
Old
(Last edited by bArDBQ; 28th March 2012 at 07:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Bricked Asus Transformer TF101 B80 - Tried everything...

Hey there,

My Asus Transformer TF101 was working fine yesterday... I recently updated to ICS without any problem. I then rooted my device using viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5. Once again, everything worked without any problem.

After rooting, I ran the V6 SuperCharger script. The device rebooted and everything was fine... Then according to the instructions, I downloaded a modified version of the services.odex file and I replaced the original system file (I did kept the original file by changing the extention to .tmp). This is the last time I've seen my Transformer booting. I did this because of the reply from bsoplinger on this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...91276&page=906

The thing is that I forgot to change the owner:group to root:root and to chmod 644. I believe this is where I failed.

• Asus Transformer TF101 B80
  • Rooted ICS with viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5
  • V6 SuperCharger Script activated (Choose Option #8)
  • Replaced original services.odex with a new "empty" one

Now, when booting it gets stuck on the Asus Logo with the rotating loading circles... they keep rotating forever until the battery is drained out.

This is what I tried:

• Booting with Power button & Volume down then Volume down again (tried Cold boot and Wipe)
  • Booting with Power button & Volume down then Volume up (Recovery)
  • Booting with Power button & Volume up + NVFlash (won't work because it is not a B50-B60-B70)
  • Drained the battery to 0%
  • Put an official firmware update zip file on a microSD and booted with it

So.... this is pretty much it... As of now, I'm out of ressources and I don't know what else I can do... 40$ via Paypal to the first persone who gives me a working solution.

Thank you for your time!

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1,711
If you have the original saved on your PC, try pushing it to your TF with ADB
The Following User Says Thank You to baseballfanz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jfuginay
Old
Thanks Meter 5
So you can boot into recovery? If you can get into there I'm sure there are ways to fix your bricked device.

Which recovery are you using? If you don't have it already, I'd recommend installing CWM recovery and flashing a new kernal/rom.

There are plenty guides on how to do that, or I can try to walk you through it but if you managed to do that other stuff to your transformer I think you'd be able to follow the current online guides.
Phone
Nexus S 4G - Rooted
Rom
HellyRom
The Following User Says Thank You to Jfuginay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bArDBQ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
If you have the original saved on your PC, try pushing it to your TF with ADB
Actually, the renamed original file is only on the internal SD card of the Transformer. I don't have a copy.

I am currently trying to ADB work... I installed the proper APX drivers but I get a message from Windows saying that the ASUS Android MTP Drivers failed to install and all I get from ADB/Fastboot is a "- waiting for device -" message...

I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit

bArDBQ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfuginay View Post
So you can boot into recovery? If you can get into there I'm sure there are ways to fix your bricked device.

Which recovery are you using? If you don't have it already, I'd recommend installing CWM recovery and flashing a new kernal/rom.

There are plenty guides on how to do that, or I can try to walk you through it but if you managed to do that other stuff to your transformer I think you'd be able to follow the current online guides.
Thanks for your reply. I am new to Android but as far as I know I can only get into the stock Asus recovery mode. I can't get (or don't know how to get into CWN recovery). CWM was supposed to be included in viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5 root but I am unable to boot in it.... I am trying to make ADB/Fastboot work to see if I can launch it from there but so far I can't make it communicate with my device...

When I press Power + Volume Down and then Volume Up, all I get is a green android robot with a black "!" in a red triangle...

Jfuginay
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I had the same issue for a while, on my windows 7, it seems there are multiple things that may be using the same resources you need for this process to work. Try ctr + alt + delete to view running processes, and shut down anything that may be using adb. It is crucial to shut down Asus sync, asus webstorage, etc, as they tie up your adb line when trying these methods.

I had bricked my transformer as well, and all the processes to fix it weren't working because of "waiting for device" messages.

They finally started working once I closed all other programs using adb.

Plus, with nvflash, make sure to unpack the Rom into the folder, rather than just having the rom's zip in the folder.

After fixing the "waiting for device" error, I still couldn't get mine to work because the rom wouldn't flash over as is, I had to take the "Prime" rom's tar located with in nvflash, and extract the files into the same folder.

Once I did that, I ran nvflash, and the rom transfered over fine and I was able to unbrick my device.
Phone
Nexus S 4G - Rooted
Rom
HellyRom
The Following User Says Thank You to Jfuginay For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

baseballfanz
Old
Thanks Meter 1,711
Yeah you are still on stock recovery.

Your best bet is to get adb working, you can then pull the file, renamed and push it back.
The Following User Says Thank You to baseballfanz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jfuginay
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bArDBQ View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am new to Android but as far as I know I can only get into the stock Asus recovery mode. I can't get (or don't know how to get into CWN recovery). CWM was supposed to be included in viperMOD PrimeTime v4.5 root but I am unable to boot in it.... I am trying to make ADB/Fastboot work to see if I can launch it from there but so far I can't make it communicate with my device...

When I press Power + Volume Down and then Volume Up, all I get is a green android robot with a black "!" in a red triangle...
Try what I mentioned about shutting down processes and hold down Volume up plus power when booting. You'll see a black screen but that's ok, you can verify that there is actually something going on because your computer should make the sound stating a new device has been connected to your pc.

From that black screen, you should be able to get nvflash to work, assuming you've shut down other programs that could be using adb, and have installed the correct driver for nvflash, and have also unpacked the prime rom into the nvflashf folder.
Phone
Nexus S 4G - Rooted
Rom
HellyRom

bArDBQ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfuginay View Post
I had the same issue for a while, on my windows 7, it seems there are multiple things that may be using the same resources you need for this process to work. Try ctr + alt + delete to view running processes, and shut down anything that may be using adb. It is crucial to shut down Asus sync, asus webstorage, etc, as they tie up your adb line when trying these methods.

I had bricked my transformer as well, and all the processes to fix it weren't working because of "waiting for device" messages.

They finally started working once I closed all other programs using adb.

Plus, with nvflash, make sure to unpack the Rom into the folder, rather than just having the rom's zip in the folder.

After fixing the "waiting for device" error, I still couldn't get mine to work because the rom wouldn't flash over as is, I had to take the "Prime" rom's tar located with in nvflash, and extract the files into the same folder.

Once I did that, I ran nvflash, and the rom transfered over fine and I was able to unbrick my device.
I will try to close all process that might use ADB but I already know that NVFlash will not help me since my device is a B80 and that NVFlash won't work with anything over B70

bArDBQ
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
Yeah you are still on stock recovery.

Your best bet is to get adb working, you can then pull the file, renamed and push it back.
I will make ADB working and see what I can do from that... Should not be that difficult.

I am installing Asus PC Suite since it seems to be the best way to get the missing drivers...