Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,371 Members 39,055 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Successfully Rooted with Towelroot on Note 3(SM-N900T), have some questions...

Tip us?
 
Steameffekt
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Question [Q] Successfully Rooted with Towelroot on Note 3(SM-N900T), have some questions...

Successfully rooted without tripping Knox with Towelroot. NE6 firmware. I have T-Mobile Jump and would like to Jump to the Note 4 when it comes out. If I install TWRP and make a backup of stock, will I trip knox and void my JUMP eligibility? Wanted to install via Flashify and install Xposed framework at some point down the line.

Thanks!
 
effortless
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 917
Posts: 591
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steameffekt View Post
Successfully rooted without tripping Knox with Towelroot. NE6 firmware. I have T-Mobile Jump and would like to Jump to the Note 4 when it comes out. If I install TWRP and make a backup of stock, will I trip knox and void my JUMP eligibility? Wanted to install via Flashify and install Xposed framework at some point down the line.

Thanks!
Yes.. Custom recovery or custom kernel will trip knox

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
 
Steameffekt
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by effortless View Post
Yes.. Custom recovery or custom kernel will trip knox

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
If I flashed back to stock, did a factory reset, would it still say custom?
 
effortless
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 917
Posts: 591
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steameffekt View Post
If I flashed back to stock, did a factory reset, would it still say custom?
As long as you didn't flash a custom kernel or recovery, it should be OK once you flash stock.

Even if you trip Knox, flash back to stock and jump when the time comes. They generally don't care about that as long as your phone is not damaged.

Knox warranty void is not the phone warranty. It's telling you Knox can't secure your phone anymore. Its (Knox's) warranty is void. People all over the Internet don't even know what Knox is and they spread misinformation.

Look up what Knox really is. It is an app that runs on your phone and creates a secure Android environment within itself. It's like another phone with its own launcher and app store that is secure. It's meant for employees to use their personal phone for work purposes as well.

When you trip the Knox warranty, Knox triggers an efuse that will prevent the secure container from being able to be created... Meaning Knox will never work again on your phone. It's a security measure so that companies will take the Samsung phones seriously in the work space. In reality it has worked for them as the department of defense recently approved a few Samsung models with Knox.

If you don't plan on using Knox for anything, then trip Knox and enjoy custom kernels/recoveries etc. If you do plan on using it, it's not a good idea to even root your phone as the whole purpose of Knox is to be secure and rooting will make Knox vulnerable.. You might even get fired if your IT department finds out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to effortless For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Steameffekt
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by effortless View Post
Yes.. Custom recovery or custom kernel will trip knox

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by effortless View Post
As long as you didn't flash a custom kernel or recovery, it should be OK once you flash stock.

Even if you trip Knox, flash back to stock and jump when the time comes. They generally don't care about that as long as your phone is not damaged.

Knox warranty void is not the phone warranty. It's telling you Knox can't secure your phone anymore. Its (Knox's) warranty is void. People all over the Internet don't even know what Knox is and they spread misinformation.

Look up what Knox really is. It is an app that runs on your phone and creates a secure Android environment within itself. It's like another phone with its own launcher and app store that is secure. It's meant for employees to use their personal phone for work purposes as well.

When you trip the Knox warranty, Knox triggers an efuse that will prevent the secure container from being able to be created... Meaning Knox will never work again on your phone. It's a security measure so that companies will take the Samsung phones seriously in the work space. In reality it has worked for them as the department of defense recently approved a few Samsung models with Knox.

If you don't plan on using Knox for anything, then trip Knox and enjoy custom kernels/recoveries etc. If you do plan on using it, it's not a good idea to even root your phone as the whole purpose of Knox is to be secure and rooting will make Knox vulnerable.. You might even get fired if your IT department finds out.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Makes sense and I probably will flash a custom recovery. I just don't understand the fuss with people wanting not to trip knox if they're not even gonna use it.
 
Eudeferrer
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 82
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami
I successfully rooted my Tmo Note 3 with Towelroot v2. I am currently on NE6 Boot-loader and have Knox at 0x0 and would like to remain there. I would like to upgrade to the new firmware NF1 which is not rootable with Towelroot yet. Does anyone know if using Mobile Odin Pro is able to keep root if manually done without breaking/tripping Knox? I think I remember reading somewhere that it was okay to do so and ignore the message even though it asks to download a file and then it gives a warning saying that:
"Using, Mobile Odin on this device will void your warranty, as the Knox counter will be triggered .This is not reversible".

Can someone confirm if its Okay to ignore the warning and that activating Mobile Odin Pro on my phone is OK without triggering Know 0x1, or was that other posting I read somewhere wrong? I cannot remember where I read it. If not possible to use Mobile Odin without triggering Knox 0x1,. is there any other way to root NF1 without triggering knox on our device? What do you guys think?
If I've helped you in any way.....Don't forget to hit the Thank You button.
 
Misterjunky
Old
(Last edited by Misterjunky; 21st June 2014 at 09:47 PM.)
#7  
Misterjunky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2,320
Posts: 4,455
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California

 
DONATE TO ME
Question un-answered question............

I don't know why I have not asked this before, but here it goes..........
First, I just want to say that I could care less about Knox...
(my phone already has the knox pox)

But for future reference if I had a brand new Note 3 with official stock NB4 baseband
and I rooted it successfully using Towelroot (or root de la vaga) would it be possible
to simply rename a custom rom like Hyperdrive to "update.zip" and copy it to the
internal sdcard then boot into the stock NB4 recovery and flash/install "update.zip"?

If the only problem with this method would be the fact that a different kernel would
also flashed along with the rom it would be an easy fix by just removing the kernel
from the custom rom file before flashing the update.zip?

I know that more likely than not this method would not work.
But if it did work it should not trip the knox right?
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).



 
Pajar0913
Old
#8  
Pajar0913's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 204
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Memphis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudeferrer View Post
I successfully rooted my Tmo Note 3 with Towelroot v2. I am currently on NE6 Boot-loader and have Knox at 0x0 and would like to remain there. I would like to upgrade to the new firmware NF1 which is not rootable with Towelroot yet. Does anyone know if using Mobile Odin Pro is able to keep root if manually done without breaking/tripping Knox? I think I remember reading somewhere that it was okay to do so and ignore the message even though it asks to download a file and then it gives a warning saying that:
"Using, Mobile Odin on this device will void your warranty, as the Knox counter will be triggered .This is not reversible".

Can someone confirm if its Okay to ignore the warning and that activating Mobile Odin Pro on my phone is OK without triggering Know 0x1, or was that other posting I read somewhere wrong? I cannot remember where I read it. If not possible to use Mobile Odin without triggering Knox 0x1,. is there any other way to root NF1 without triggering knox on our device? What do you guys think?


Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403503091146.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	2812999  
 
Misterjunky
Old
(Last edited by Misterjunky; 23rd June 2014 at 08:00 AM.)
#9  
Misterjunky's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2,320
Posts: 4,455
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bakersfield, California

 
DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: modile odin - knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eudeferrer View Post
I successfully rooted my Tmo Note 3 with Towelroot v2. I am currently on NE6 Boot-loader and have Knox at 0x0 and would like to remain there. I would like to upgrade to the new firmware NF1 which is not rootable with Towelroot yet. Does anyone know if using Mobile Odin Pro is able to keep root if manually done without breaking/tripping Knox? I think I remember reading somewhere that it was okay to do so and ignore the message even though it asks to download a file and then it gives a warning saying that:
"Using, Mobile Odin on this device will void your warranty, as the Knox counter will be triggered .This is not reversible". Can someone confirm if its Okay to ignore the warning and that activating Mobile Odin Pro on my phone is OK without triggering Know 0x1, or was that other posting I read somewhere wrong? I cannot remember where I read it. If not possible to use Mobile Odin without triggering Knox 0x1,. is there any other way to root NF1 without triggering knox on our device? What do you guys think?
I just checked and it's OK to "install" Mobile Odin on your phone and it
it will NOT trip the KNOX counter by simply installing it as long as you:

1: Don't flash any custom recoveries like twrp/cwm.
2: Don't flash any stock or custom kernels.
3: Don't flash any modems/baseband or bootloaders.
4: Don't flash any custom odin flashable firmwares.

In mobile odin there is no option to flash cwm/twrp
flashable zip files of any kind including custom roms.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).



 
Eudeferrer
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 82
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky View Post
I just checked and it's OK to "install" Mobile Odin on your phone and it
it will NOT trip the KNOX counter by simply installing it as long as you:

1: Don't flash any custom recoveries like twrp/cwm.
2: Don't flash any stock or custom kernels.
3: Don't flash any modems/baseband or bootloaders.
4: Don't flash any custom odin flashable firmwares.

In mobile odin there is no option to flash cwm/twrp
flashable zip files of any kind including custom roms.

Good luck!

Why would flashing a stock kernel/baseband or firmware cause Knox to change to 0x1 when done through Mobile Odin? I thought this would happen only through custom based ones?
If I've helped you in any way.....Don't forget to hit the Thank You button.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes