Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,560 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Improve Your Android User Experience and Multitasking

Tip us?

fredcorp6
Old
(Last edited by fredcorp6; 17th June 2012 at 01:02 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Lightbulb [GUIDE] Improve Your Android User Experience and Multitasking

How Android manages Memory

Android groups all apps into 6 groups, from highest priority to lowest:

Foreground app - you see this app on screen, currently running, but also includes the system itself and "phone"

Visible app - the app is running and visible, but due to multi-tasking or such is not currently "on top"

Secondary server - services that stay in background and apps such as Launcher (or other home replacements). Most services go here, like music player, clock updater, background sync, and so on, that's not built into the OS.

Hidden Application - apps not visible, but still running in the background

Content Provider - process that provides content to the foreground, such as "contacts content provider", "calendar content provider", and so on. May also known as "storage".

Empty App - the app is in standby, not being used, but is still in memory.

How to manipulate this to get the best performance

We can manipulate our OOM values for each of these categories using the app "System Tuner Pro" (not sure if it works with the free version or not) or "Auto Memory Manager", there may be others too. After installing from the market, open it and click on "Memory" - you will then be able to change OOM values. Having a lower OOM value for a category, means android will wait longer until killing apps from that group.

From what I have experienced, the more open apps in the "Empty App" category, the slower and more sluggish the phone. Having these apps open is basically a waste of memory, because they are in standby and not being used. A high OOM value should therefore be set for "Empty App".

Processes that fall into the "Content Provider" category are also a waste of space; they only actually get used when running the application that service belongs to. This means that often the service will be running in the background when it doesn't actually need to be. A high OOM value should therefore be set for "Content Provider".

The other four categories all contain apps actually being used by the user. When multitasking you want these apps to stay open. A low OOM value should therefore be set for "Foreground App" "Visible App" "Secondary Server" and "Hidden Application"

Doing this is similar to what the SuperCharger Script does, but in my opinion this solution is simpler to implement and easier to change depending on the users needs.

I have attached a thumbnail of my setup, but everyone uses their phone differently so you may want to alter some of the values.

Click Thanks if you tried this and it helped!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-05-06-16-46-58.jpg
Views:	2989
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1044620  
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to fredcorp6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fredcorp6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
BUMP
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2

bonertime98
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the guide, trying this out to see if I notice some improvement in my phone.

steve austin
Old
Thanks Meter 33
how do you get the values to stick? I duplicated what you did and backed out and the original presets came back after a reboot. I did not see a "save" option. thanks.

fredcorp6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve austin View Post
how do you get the values to stick? I duplicated what you did and backed out and the original presets came back after a reboot. I did not see a "save" option. thanks.
After applying the limits, there's a button at the bottom of the page called boot settings.

On the menu this takes you to, click reapply memory settings and then check on boot completed

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredcorp6 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alireza_simkesh
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
sorry for the noob question, but are u sure its not the other way around? i mean, setting a higher value would mean the app is going to stay running in the background for a longer time?
HTC One
HTC Sensation 4G
HTC Touch Pro
ASUS P525
HP Ipaq3315

Zeustopher
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by alireza_simkesh View Post
sorry for the noob question, but are u sure its not the other way around? i mean, setting a higher value would mean the app is going to stay running in the background for a longer time?
I had this EXACT same initial thought. However, once I stepped back and looked at it again, I realized that he is correct in what he originally posted.

What the high values in his screenshot are basically saying is "When I get to less than 256mb free memory, I am going to dump all the applications of this type" and the low values are basically saying "When I get to only 3mb of free memory then I am going to dump all the applications of this type."

So if you set it HIGH like the original poster said then it will dump those out of memory faster than if you set them to 100mb because then you'd have to have more things filling up memory before they would be dumped.

Hopefully that clears things up a little for you (and others who I'm sure will have the exact same question).

-- Zeustopher
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zeustopher For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fredcorp6
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeustopher View Post
I had this EXACT same initial thought. However, once I stepped back and looked at it again, I realized that he is correct in what he originally posted.

What the high values in his screenshot are basically saying is "When I get to less than 256mb free memory, I am going to dump all the applications of this type" and the low values are basically saying "When I get to only 3mb of free memory then I am going to dump all the applications of this type."

So if you set it HIGH like the original poster said then it will dump those out of memory faster than if you set them to 100mb because then you'd have to have more things filling up memory before they would be dumped.

Hopefully that clears things up a little for you (and others who I'm sure will have the exact same question).

-- Zeustopher
Yes that's exactly right, sorry I should have probably explained that a bit better initially.
Nexus 4
CWM Touch Recovery
Android 4.2.2

alireza_simkesh
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeustopher View Post

-- Zeustopher
Yea i get it now.
the program developer must make the interface a bit more clear
HTC One
HTC Sensation 4G
HTC Touch Pro
ASUS P525
HP Ipaq3315

steve austin
Old
Thanks Meter 33
thanks. I will apply it today and see what happens.