Ask a question

No registration required

USB Bug in Android???

OP brauckmiller

24th June 2014, 08:25 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

42 posts
Ok, on another board (not Android related), one of the members was posting a piece on cryptography. Interesting stuff. His intent was to encourage people to start using encrypted communications more.

Another member then asked about any apps that you could run on your smartphone such as an Android based device. The OP stated that using such an app on Android is useless because with physical access, he could install any app on your phone (such as a keylogger) and the encryption is moot. Here is his exact quote:

Quote:

I do though. You can sideload an APK into a phone, even if USB debug isn't turned on, it's password protected, and even if the device storage is encrypted. There's a 'bug' in the USB stack of Android that's never been fixed. There's a similar bug in IOS. Some PDs even have a device that does exactly this. I really don't want to get too much into exactly how it happens, but it affects every phone I've ever played with. It's about as difficult as breaking into a warded padlock. All you need is the shim.

Does such a bug still exist? If so, has any XDA dev ever considered patching it for security's sake so that a law enforcement agency would not be able to access your device?

Thanks
24th June 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,410

991 posts
Donate to Me
@jcase would know for sure.
24th June 2014, 09:44 PM   |  #3  
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Flag Sequim WA
Thanks Meter: 8,583

4,028 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm unaware of any such in android, I've found some in OEM builds in the past but nothing in android. Possible tho

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to jcase For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread