[HOWTO] Unbrick your device

Search This thread

legolover2

Jun 29, 2015
Is kindle salvageable?

I tried rooting my kindle fire HDX (2013), and successfully rolled back the software but soon after that it tried to install a auto update but ended up making the screen go black. The question i have is whether or not i can do anything because the device will not charge or turn on. I dont have too much attatchment to the device i just wanted to ask because i felt guilty and want to see if i could fix it :D

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I tried rooting my kindle fire HDX (2013), and successfully rolled back the software but soon after that it tried to install a auto update but ended up making the screen go black. The question i have is whether or not i can do anything because the device will not charge or turn on. I dont have too much attatchment to the device i just wanted to ask because i felt guilty and want to see if i could fix it :D
If you rolled back to 3.2.8 (which is no longer necessary) and then allowed network access you're done - hard brick.

Last edited:

Ali Ejea Mc

Sep 14, 2014
I was trying to root my Kindle fire HDX 7 for android apps and google apps on it. it was successfully rooted and google play services working on it perfectly. Than suddenly google play stop working on it. but games installed on it working properly. Then i go to recovery option and press the Wipe button "Cache and Dalvik Cache". after that my Kindle fire HDX 7 boot and stuck on Kindle fire starting Grey logo. I tried to factory reset but still keep stuck on start logo. While connected to PC, only hear one connectivity beep with PC and in device manager only shows connectivity as MTP USB device. But no device show in my computer. Snapshot attached. Please assist any solution. I am not familiar with these developer language. So please assist step by step.. I tried below command but su Permission denied.
NEVER FACTORY RESET YOUR KINDLE FIRE HDX FROM AMAZON STOCK RECOVERY IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED SAFESTRAP RECOVERY ON IT...
unfortunately you got it bricked :(

Reactions: sd_shadow

shouthouse

Nov 9, 2015
Ok. Not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly. I am able to push the file to the kindle but then when I reboot it does nothing. Everything seems to be working...

MrSonic

Apr 6, 2018
Fixing broken system apps

Would anyone here with a rooted Kindle Fire HDX be willing to upload all the system apps they have? I seem to have moved 2 important ones with 'OTA' (assuming they were related to forced OTA updates) in the name away from /sysyem/priv-app and it caused my device to bootloop. I've fixed it to the point where i have a booted device that's still rooted, and I have an ADB shell (with root access) running, but all system features (Fire Home Launcher, settings, etc.) are all broken/non-functional. If someone could send me their files in system/priv-app, that would be appreciated =)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Would anyone here with a rooted Kindle Fire HDX be willing to upload all the system apps they have? I seem to have moved 2 important ones with 'OTA' (assuming they were related to forced OTA updates) in the name away from /sysyem/priv-app and it caused my device to bootloop. I've fixed it to the point where i have a booted device that's still rooted, and I have an ADB shell (with root access) running, but all system features (Fire Home Launcher, settings, etc.) are all broken/non-functional. If someone could send me their files in system/priv-app, that would be appreciated =)
I don't have the files you seek nor so I think the approach being taken will offer a satisfactory resolution. A better solution might be to flash a vulnerable aboot (bootloader) that permits twrp to be booted. From there you could reflash stock FireOS 4.5.2. Or go radical and flash the custom ROM of your choosing including several excellent variants based on Android 7.1 (aka Nougat).

MrSonic

Apr 6, 2018
Hello Davey,
Thank you for the advice!
I have a fully booted device with all my apps functional/data saved and I still have root access, I'm simply missing a system app that apparently is essential to use the default 'Fire Home' launcher and to access the system settings menu (they crash the second I open them, but everything else works perfectly.) As of now, I used an ADB shell to install Nova launcher (which instantly triggered my kindle to load it as the only functional launcher,) which gives me a functional GUI to interact with my kindle and use it as before (with the exception of system settings, which I would like to restore access to, even though I was able to successfully connect to WiFi using commands). Reinstalling Fire OS would seem like a step back to me - I would lose all my personal app data. Although I might be mistaken, and correct me if I am, wouldn't simply putting back the missing resources into /system/priv-app fix my issue the most efficient way forcing me to lose all my app data? Then again, accquiring the correct system app that I'm missing might be hard (as I forgot the exact name of the file I moved.)

Thank you for the reply,
MrSonic

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hello Davey,
Thank you for the advice!
I have a fully booted device with all my apps functional/data saved and I still have root access, I'm simply missing a system app that apparently is essential to use the default 'Fire Home' launcher and to access the system settings menu (they crash the second I open them, but everything else works perfectly.) As of now, I used an ADB shell to install Nova launcher (which instantly triggered my kindle to load it as the only functional launcher,) which gives me a functional GUI to interact with my kindle and use it as before (with the exception of system settings, which I would like to restore access to, even though I was able to successfully connect to WiFi using commands). Reinstalling Fire OS would seem like a step back to me - I would lose all my personal app data. Although I might be mistaken, and correct me if I am, wouldn't simply putting back the missing resources into /system/priv-app fix my issue the most efficient way forcing me to lose all my app data? Then again, accquiring the correct system app that I'm missing might be hard (as I forgot the exact name of the file I moved.)

Thank you for the reply,
MrSonic
Identifying the appropriate system component(s) would be time consuming and could leave you with a dysfunctional device should something go wrong. Reinstalling FireOS 4.5.2 via TWRP *should* leave your data partition intact. However, there are no assurances and no fallback options in the absence of a vulnerable bootloader and TWRP backup. You have a choice to make.

jeffpendejo

Mar 4, 2017
Cologne
Permission denied... ?

I tried to follow your instructions but in the end i got the message:
adb: error: failed to copy 'C:\adb\update-kindle.bin.bin' to '/cache/kindleupdate.bin': Permission denied
Doe anyone have an idea why and how to solve this please?
Thanx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This unbricking method requires that you have adb working and have root access.

First, download the latest system update for your device.
    For the 7" HDX, they are posted at
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201357190.
    For the 8.9" HDX, they are posted at
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201357220.

Now, please note that I DO NOT have a Kindle Fire HDX, so if this doesn't work, let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Try these commands:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /cache
    mkdir /cache/recovery
    echo install /cache/kindleupdate.bin > /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
    chmod 0777 /cache/recovery/openrecoveryscript
    exit
    exit
    adb push your-downloaded-update.bin /cache/kindleupdate.bin
    adb reboot recovery

The only thing that you have to do is replace "your-downloaded-update.bin" with the path to your downloaded update. (To make it easier and avoid typos, I always just drag and drop the file into the terminal/command prompt window.)

Please also note that IT IS OKAY if the command "mkdir /cache/recovery" fails, as long as the error message says file already exists or something along those lines.

If this helped you repair your beloved HDX, feel free to hit that "Thanks" button.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Fix Bricked

Sorry, Im slightly confused, how are we able to fix the device with ADB if it is bricked? Mine will not get past the white "Kindle Fire" page, any ideas?:(
    root not required?

Thanks, r3pwn, this works well. Nice, easy instructions that should be instructive to anybody messing with their device.

This helped me after a botched update to newer Amazon firmware. Quick question though: It seems like you don't really need to be root / use su to do these steps. I had lost su in that update but was able to execute the rest of the adb commands without root. I guess that should be the same for anyone who doesn't have root, right?
    I was trying to root my Kindle fire HDX 7 for android apps and google apps on it. it was successfully rooted and google play services working on it perfectly. Than suddenly google play stop working on it. but games installed on it working properly. Then i go to recovery option and press the Wipe button "Cache and Dalvik Cache". after that my Kindle fire HDX 7 boot and stuck on Kindle fire starting Grey logo. I tried to factory reset but still keep stuck on start logo. While connected to PC, only hear one connectivity beep with PC and in device manager only shows connectivity as MTP USB device. But no device show in my computer. Snapshot attached. Please assist any solution. I am not familiar with these developer language. So please assist step by step.. I tried below command but su Permission denied.
    NEVER FACTORY RESET YOUR KINDLE FIRE HDX FROM AMAZON STOCK RECOVERY IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED SAFESTRAP RECOVERY ON IT...
    unfortunately you got it bricked :(