Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,414 Members 53,682 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No Download Mode?

Tip us?
 
D-meist
Old
#1  
D-meist's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Default [Q] No Download Mode?

I need to return my vs980 to Verizon. I was going through the return to stock thread and it said I needed to boot into download mode. I think my recent ROM flash removed the download mode or something. Despite pressing/holding the proper hardware keys, download mode doesn't launch. I'm running cm11 (24A version). I saw something in the XDABBEB thread linking to a "restore download mode" file. Is this what I need? I guess the real question is how to get from cm11 24A to stock without download mode.
Phone: LG G2 VS980
Nova Launcher Prime: 2.2.3
Android Version: 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0
Baseband version: VS98024A
Build number: CM11 Snapshot M6

https://twitter.com/dmeist
 
z3pp3lin
Old
#2  
z3pp3lin's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 14
Posts: 61
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-meist View Post
I need to return my vs980 to Verizon. I was going through the return to stock thread and it said I needed to boot into download mode. I think my recent ROM flash removed the download mode or something. Despite pressing/holding the proper hardware keys, download mode doesn't launch. I'm running cm11 (24A version). I saw something in the XDABBEB thread linking to a "restore download mode" file. Is this what I need? I guess the real question is how to get from cm11 24A to stock without download mode.
Maybe this will help. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2477595

Sent from my XDABBEB VS98024A v1.2.1 using XDA free mobile app
 
XxZombiePikachu
Old
#3  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1136
Posts: 2,215
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aguada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-meist View Post
I need to return my vs980 to Verizon. I was going through the return to stock thread and it said I needed to boot into download mode. I think my recent ROM flash removed the download mode or something. Despite pressing/holding the proper hardware keys, download mode doesn't launch. I'm running cm11 (24A version). I saw something in the XDABBEB thread linking to a "restore download mode" file. Is this what I need? I guess the real question is how to get from cm11 24A to stock without download mode.
is it just not booting into download and booting android if so are you sure you are trying to boot into download mode correctly all you have to do is power off your device then hold volume up while plugging it into your pc
The Following User Says Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
D-meist
Old
#4  
D-meist's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu View Post
is it just not booting into download and booting android if so are you sure you are trying to boot into download mode correctly all you have to do is power off your device then hold volume up while plugging it into your pc
Does the USB cable have to be plugged in to the PC in order for download mode to start? Because I haven't tried that yet.
Phone: LG G2 VS980
Nova Launcher Prime: 2.2.3
Android Version: 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0
Baseband version: VS98024A
Build number: CM11 Snapshot M6

https://twitter.com/dmeist
 
XxZombiePikachu
Old
#5  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1136
Posts: 2,215
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aguada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-meist View Post
Does the USB cable have to be plugged in to the PC in order for download mode to start? Because I haven't tried that yet.
yes, while phone is powered off you hold only volume up and then plug the end that goes to phone and wait, the other end has to be plugged to pc before trying to power on into download mode
 
D-meist
Old
#6  
D-meist's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu View Post
yes, while phone is powered off you hold only volume up and then plug the end that goes to phone and wait, the other end has to be plugged to pc before trying to power on into download mode
OK, I'll try that when I get home. Although I'm pretty sure I was able to get into download mode without being plugged into a pc prior to updating the bootstack to 24A. I'll try it and let you know.
Phone: LG G2 VS980
Nova Launcher Prime: 2.2.3
Android Version: 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0
Baseband version: VS98024A
Build number: CM11 Snapshot M6

https://twitter.com/dmeist
 
D-meist
Old
#7  
D-meist's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I plugged in the USB cable and was able to get this to come up. Is this the interface I need to start the TOT restore?

Phone: LG G2 VS980
Nova Launcher Prime: 2.2.3
Android Version: 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0
Baseband version: VS98024A
Build number: CM11 Snapshot M6

https://twitter.com/dmeist
 
XxZombiePikachu
Old
#8  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1136
Posts: 2,215
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aguada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-meist View Post
I plugged in the USB cable and was able to get this to come up. Is this the interface I need to start the TOT restore?

no but that proves that your download mode is broken, if you still have custom recovery then you need to flash the restore download mode from xdabbeb then you should be able to boot into download mode, if you don't have custom recovery then use autorec for vs980 and after flashing recovery power off and try booting into download mode and you should boot into download mode
The Following User Says Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
D-meist
Old
#9  
D-meist's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 66
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu View Post
no but that proves that your download mode is broken, if you still have custom recovery then you need to flash the restore download mode from xdabbeb then you should be able to boot into download mode, if you don't have custom recovery then use autorec for vs980 and after flashing recovery power off and try booting into download mode and you should boot into download mode
OK. TWRP is working fine, I was just a little wary about flashing that restore download mode zip. I've gotten impatient in the past and flashed things without fully looking into it and... It didn't go well. I'll try flashing it tonight.
Phone: LG G2 VS980
Nova Launcher Prime: 2.2.3
Android Version: 4.4.2
Kernel version: 3.4.0
Baseband version: VS98024A
Build number: CM11 Snapshot M6

https://twitter.com/dmeist
 
XxZombiePikachu
Old
#10  
XxZombiePikachu's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1136
Posts: 2,215
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aguada
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-meist View Post
OK. TWRP is working fine, I was just a little wary about flashing that restore download mode zip. I've gotten impatient in the past and flashed things without fully looking into it and... It didn't go well. I'll try flashing it tonight.
yes I know what you mean I already hard bricked a device in past because of impatience and since then I have learn to be more patient which is good especially now that I started working on mods, anyways flashing should restore download mode and for reference I have attached the two screens you will see when entering download mode first you will see the screen with what look like two computer and dots in center and then the firmware update screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.png
Views:	15
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	2814257   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR3cXz4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2814258  

The Following User Says Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes