Thread Closed

Google Play Services Stopping

OP calanthe

24th June 2014, 10:07 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Google Play Services is continually stopping on ALL of my Android devices. I have searched and done extensive troubleshooting, but have no idea what to try next.

I believe that this issue is somehow related to my Google account. I believe this because:
  • It happens on all of my devices (unrooted Verizon Galaxy S4, latest 4.4.2 update; 2012 Nexus 7 rooted running latest CM nightly; Android VM in VirtualBox running 4.3)
  • If I log in to any of my devices with another Google account, the issue does not occur.

I have tried other ROMs, wiping, clearing cache and data, changing my Google account password - honestly, I do not know what is causing this. And to witness it on a VM in VirtualBox with nothing but the OS and GApps was the final straw, causing this post.

I am a technical guy, I've been in the IT field professionally for over 15 years, and have been tinkering since I got an Amiga 500 in 1988. I've got some background, and it takes a lot for me to reach out for help because I'm a "fix it myself" type... but I am honestly at my wit's end here.

The only other solution I can see would be to create a new Google account, but that's not really an option, considering I would lose my paid apps, and anything else associated to that account.

Any other ideas or advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-24 16_55_55-Screenshot_2014-06-24-16-54-28.png (PNG Image, 1080**1920 pixels) - Scaled .png
Views:	27
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	2815740  
Last edited by GermainZ; 25th June 2014 at 08:07 PM.
24th June 2014, 10:16 PM   |  #2  
It_ler's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 15,310
 
8,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calanthe

Google Play Services is continually stopping on ALL of my Android devices. I have searched and done extensive troubleshooting, but have no idea what to try next.

I believe that this issue is somehow related to my Google account. I believe this because:

  • It happens on all of my devices (unrooted Verizon Galaxy S4, latest 4.4.2 update; 2012 Nexus 7 rooted running latest CM nightly; Android VM in VirtualBox running 4.3)
  • If I log in to any of my devices with another Google account, the issue does not occur.

I have tried other ROMs, wiping, clearing cache and data, changing my Google account password - honestly, I do not know what is causing this. And to witness it on a VM in VirtualBox with nothing but the OS and GApps was the final straw, causing this post.

I am a technical guy, I've been in the IT field professionally for over 15 years, and have been tinkering since I got an Amiga 500 in 1988. I've got some background, and it takes a lot for me to reach out for help because I'm a "fix it myself" type... but I am honestly at my wit's end here.

The only other solution I can see would be to create a new Google account, but that's not really an option, considering I would lose my paid apps, and anything else associated to that account.

Any other ideas or advice is appreciated.

Please read this thread ... it is about an inverted Google Play store app (which you don't need), but there is a troubleshooting guide in the first post.
Try those steps ... fixed this kind of issue for many other users.

My tapatalk signature:
Phone: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v4
Kernel: CF-Auto-Rooted stock G900FXXU1ANE2

Recovery: PhilZ-touch

If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread.
If you need general help/assistence, please go to XDA-Assist.
24th June 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Thanks - I apologize for not mentioning this.

The issue is not with the Play Store - it is with Google Play Services. So, anything utilizing Google Play Services (basically, anything Google, and then-some) causes this issue. Hangouts, Maps, Play Store, Music, my RSS reader (D7), etc.

And again, my phone is unrooted, and I've factory reset my phone - it happens as soon as I log in with my Google account, without any apps installed, other than those from the factory ROM. Same can be said for my tablet, and my VM - and my Android VM is as clean as they come.

Any other possibilities?
24th June 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #4  
It_ler's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 15,310
 
8,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calanthe

Thanks - I apologize for not mentioning this.

The issue is not with the Play Store - it is with Google Play Services. So, anything utilizing Google Play Services (basically, anything Google, and then-some) causes this issue. Hangouts, Maps, Play Store, Music, my RSS reader (D7), etc.

And again, my phone is unrooted, and I've factory reset my phone - it happens as soon as I log in with my Google account, without any apps installed, other than those from the factory ROM. Same can be said for my tablet, and my VM - and my Android VM is as clean as they come.

Any other possibilities?

Factory reset worked for most users with a similar issue.
The user here just had to clear data of his Google apps/account.
If that doesn't help in your case, I think you have to contact the Google support to check your Google account.

My tapatalk signature:
Phone: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v4
Kernel: CF-Auto-Rooted stock G900FXXU1ANE2

Recovery: PhilZ-touch

If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread.
If you need general help/assistence, please go to XDA-Assist.
24th June 2014, 11:06 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Yeah, factory reset, clearing app data/cache - none of those worked. Like I said, this happens across all of my devices, and only under my account.

How does one actually contact Google support for assistance with a Google account? Their help/support section seems to trail into an endless loop of self-help without a means of contact (or maybe I just missed it).
24th June 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #6  
It_ler's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 15,310
 
8,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calanthe

Yeah, factory reset, clearing app data/cache - none of those worked. Like I said, this happens across all of my devices, and only under my account.

How does one actually contact Google support for assistance with a Google account? Their help/support section seems to trail into an endless loop of self-help without a means of contact (or maybe I just missed it).

Unfortunately XDA Assist can't help to contact the Google support.
If you can not get help to "fix" your Google account, maybe you really have to create a new one.
Some app developers will give you access to their apps when you explain what happened and that you bought the paid version already with your original account.

BTW... can you log into your Google account via browser?
Then check all account settings ... hopefully you find something I can't see from"here".

My tapatalk signature:
Phone: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v4
Kernel: CF-Auto-Rooted stock G900FXXU1ANE2

Recovery: PhilZ-touch

If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread.
If you need general help/assistence, please go to XDA-Assist.
25th June 2014, 12:06 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Thanks for trying to help me out here, It_ler.

I looked through every aspect of my account within the Google account dashboard, but nothing stands-out to me as a remote or possible cause for this issue I am experiencing.

I also looked for a means to contact Google for specific support via an online form or e-mail, to no avail.

Finally, I confirmed that it is not possible to transfer my paid apps to a new account en masse, or even one at a time. 52 app purchases at $135.28 is not something I can justify throwing away. Though I don't use all of them, I do have about a dozen+ that I use routinely.

This is really unfortunate. Anyone else have any other suggestions?
25th June 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #8  
It_ler's Avatar
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 15,310
 
8,462 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by calanthe

Thanks for trying to help me out here, It_ler.

I looked through every aspect of my account within the Google account dashboard, but nothing stands-out to me as a remote or possible cause for this issue I am experiencing.

I also looked for a means to contact Google for specific support via an online form or e-mail, to no avail.

Finally, I confirmed that it is not possible to transfer my paid apps to a new account en masse, or even one at a time. 52 app purchases at $135.28 is not something I can justify throwing away. Though I don't use all of them, I do have about a dozen+ that I use routinely.

This is really unfortunate. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

XDA Assist is not the right place to start a kind of "brainstorming for a solution".
You can post either in General forum, or better in Questions & Answers forum.

Sorry that I couldn't help directly ...

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes