Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Back Cover Creaking Noise

Tip us?

Thin_Bezel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Default Back Cover Creaking Noise

Hi all,

I just got my new Galaxy S5 and the first I wanted to do was to take a few pictures underwater. However, after I put the battery on, I noticed that the back cover makes a creaking noise when I push it near the heart rate sensor and I can see the back cover near the sensor going down when I push it. Does this compromises the water resistance of the phone?

Regards

jopat
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I'm thinking that there might be water remnants inside. Water + rubber is known to produce squeaking noise.

Thin_Bezel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
I still haven't put the phone underwater. I noticed the problem wheni was taking the phone out of the box. When I apply light force to the area around the sensor I can see the back cover moving up and down and it makes more of a clicking noise. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

jopat
Old
(Last edited by jopat; 16th June 2014 at 07:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
It could be a part inside is just bumping to another part. Alignment is not 100% perfect, especially the rubber part for water-resistance because it was just stuck to the cover and is originally not part of the cover itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to jopat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thin_Bezel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Thanks. One last question. So, after the phone has been submerged and I take it out, fully dry it from the outside, is it normal to be water under the back cover? The part which is not covered by the rubber part?

Thin_Bezel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 164
Anyone?

jopat
Old
(Last edited by jopat; 15th June 2014 at 01:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin_Bezel View Post
Thanks. One last question. So, after the phone has been submerged and I take it out, fully dry it from the outside, is it normal to be water under the back cover? The part which is not covered by the rubber part?
The rubber lining on the interior face of the back cover should keep any liquid from continuing its entry to the phone's internals, but it doesn't prevent the liquid from sipping through from the outside. Check out how large the notch at the power button area that you use to open up the back cover.

But you should dry the phone first as is for a few hours to be sure no more liquid could enter. When you're sure that it's safe, open the back cover then remove the battery and dry the phone face up so that any liquid residue will go down, at the same time dry the back cover separately too. And be sure that everything is dry, including the ports, before you reattach the battery.

And if the unfortunate event that the phone turned off when it was wet, do not attempt to turn it on. Remove the back cover and battery immediately and let them all dry for at least 24hrs, focus an electric fan to them if you can, to be sure that you max out the opportunity to dry them. And during the drying process, do not keep on touching them to avoid liquid moving inside.

I hope this answers your question.
The Following User Says Thank You to jopat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bryanfuryin22
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
Hi there, even I have the same problem. I noticed that both the the back cover and the s-view cover shows a slight on the power button side in the centre. I firmly believe mine is a phone manufacturing issue as two cover can have the exact same issues...let see if I can get replacement as its not cover problem. Check the attached pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-16-23-36-38.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	2801938  

jopat
Old
(Last edited by jopat; 16th June 2014 at 07:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfuryin22 View Post
Hi there, even I have the same problem. I noticed that both the the back cover and the s-view cover shows a slight on the power button side in the centre. I firmly believe mine is a phone manufacturing issue as two cover can have the exact same issues...let see if I can get replacement as its not cover problem. Check the attached pic
It's an alignment problem that I have explained to OP. That rubber lining for water-resistance is prone for misalignment and probably warping too. Rubber is known to stretch due to rise in temperature. If it warped or misaligned to an embossed area, that part will be more elevated than the rest.

xXFearXx
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I have same problem, but I got used to it.
When I put my back cover on girlfriends phone there is no noise.
Its like the problem is phone itself.